IGNORED

Shoestring Budget...

spudski

...It seems the club has worked it's magic again with the use of smoke and mirrors :disapointed2se:

Why the hell do i keep reading posts by fans saying we have no money and we are going to be run on a shoestring budget? Who has said no money is available?

From what i've understood the board has said, they won't be wasting money in future like they have before and obviously want to reduce the squad because so many players are surplus to requirements. Yes i can't see them paying out large sums again on long contracts, but no way have they said there is no longer any money going to be available in the future.

...It seems the club has worked it's magic again with the use of smoke and mirrors :disapointed2se:

Why the hell do i keep reading posts by fans saying we have no money and we are going to be run on a shoestring budget? Who has said no money is available?

From what i've understood the board has said, they won't be wasting money in future like they have before and obviously want to reduce the squad because so many players are surplus to requirements. Yes i can't see them paying out large sums again on long contracts, but no way have they said there is no longer any money going to be available in the future.

I think its fairly obvious that the board will want the new man to work with what he's got until the end of the season when they are something like 12 players out of contract.

The wage budget is huge - so you cant really blame them.

It also makes the fact we brought in players we didnt need in the summer, all the more frustrating.

Hopefully the board will allow the new manager to bring in at least one or two players, if he really needs them.

Sexstone's recent programme notes have mentioned the effect that the Financial Fair Play rules will have on us in the near future. All clubs will have to demonstrate that they are attempting to live within their means.

A club like ours, with small-ish income (by Championship standards), will not be able to spend Lansdown's money in the way that we have in the past.

Thing is, as linked before the FFP for the Championship has only been agreed in principle, not actually implemented. Ive done links before regarding this but the press release is here, and as yet, I dont know if the framework has been drawn up or even ratified at this stage, though the idea was to come in for next season. but its all gone quiet since then in terms of finalising what will happen.

Its more of a worry that the SCMP is already in effect in league 2 and looks likely to operate in League One next season. If we were to get relegated, its a very harsh cap, and even with players ooc ( who a new manager may decide to offer new contracts to etc) we would be likely to have to sell further and replace with 'other' alternatives as not to be penalised

The Prem/Uefa doesnt come in til the start of the 2013 season iirc, so doing it the season before seems a little well churlish, as will make the gap between Prem and Champs greater for one season,giving those on the revised parachute payments a huge advantage

And Colin is adamant on the not going for the cheap option as confirmed here

He's hardky likely to say we're looking for the manager who will work for and with the smallest budget is he.

We have lost arount £10million per year since being in the Championship, which was a managable loss, as we had SL covering it. Now those days have gone and he will invest as and when he is approached with a good suggestion.

Of course we now have to cut our cloth accordingly and work within lower budgets - hardly rocket science and they have been open and honest about that being the case.

We have lost arount £10million per year since being in the Championship, which was a managable loss, as we had SL covering it. Now those days have gone and he will invest as and when he is approached with a good suggestion.

Of course we now have to cut our cloth accordingly and work within lower budgets - hardly rocket science and they have been open and honest about that being the case.

Yes...I was wrong in using smoke and mirrors as an example...perhaps the mixed comments coming from Km and Sexstone haven't helped.

But i do get the impression from peoples comments, that fans seem to think we have completely no money, and in future we will be run on a shoestring.

Surely from what has been said, this is not the case? We have kept Maynard and Sl has implied he will still invest if there is a good suggestion. Just a case of not gambling and cutting cloth to suit...but we are surely not paupers as some seem to suggest?

The club have never said they are on a shoestring or that there is no money only fans who put 2+2 together

The club have always said money is available but it looks like they never trusted keef with much of it

When the new man is in I expect he will get a decent budget

Yes...I was wrong in using smoke and mirrors as an example...perhaps the mixed comments coming from Km and Sexstone haven't helped.

But i do get the impression from peoples comments, that fans seem to think we have completely no money, and in future we will be run on a shoestring.

Surely from what has been said, this is not the case? We have kept Maynard and Sl has implied he will still invest if there is a good suggestion. Just a case of not gambling and cutting cloth to suit...but we are surely not paupers as some seem to suggest?

I thought it was fairly common knowledge by now that we didn't exactly "keep" Maynard. He was not interested in going to Leicester, so it was an easy offer to turn down as it never effectively existed. Maynard will be gone in the summer, for free, as he is entitled to do. Nothing we can do about that because no team that was of interest to him made us any sort of offer.

Yes, the club are effectively paupers - but thankfully we have a wealthy investor who has stated he will continue to back well thought out and presented INVESTMENTS, be they new signings, a new stadium, acadamy related etc etc. The club itself, based on annual accounts, is very much a pauper.

Very true.

http://www.skysports...7236691,00.html

I thought it was fairly common knowledge by now that we didn't exactly "keep" Maynard. He was not interested in going to Leicester, so it was an easy offer to turn down as it never effectively existed. Maynard will be gone in the summer, for free, as he is entitled to do. Nothing we can do about that because no team that was of interest to him made us any sort of offer.

Yes, the club are effectively paupers - but thankfully we have a wealthy investor who has stated he will continue to back well thought out and presented INVESTMENTS, be they new signings, a new stadium, acadamy related etc etc. The club itself, based on annual accounts, is very much a pauper.

I personally don't think that is true. If Maynard didn't want to go to Leicester, they would have been told at the outset, that it isn't the money, but the player that doesn't want to come. They wouldn't have kept coming back with increased offers if that was the situation. City would have also not kept declaring that they had turned down the offers.

After being relegated from the Championship last time, it took us (I think!) 9 years to get back up to it. Never do we want another return to L1 or dare I say it below that. My sanity, plus my blood pressure couldn't take it. :no:

We have the top clubs in the Championship spending big bucks, and although spending big doesn't guarantee success, it does help, and it does help to pretty much guarantee your survival, even though you'd be looking to be at the top of the table, not the bottom, if you've spent a wad.

We are a club that has NEVER REALLY SPENT BIG. Ok over the years we've bought the odd high priced player i.e. Maynard, but haven't followed that up by buying another 2 or 3 at the same time. Ok maybe you can argue when we came up last time we spent big on our forward line i.e. Ankinbiyi and Anderson etc, but forgot about the defence.

The problem we have is this squad of players were good enough for the last 2 seasons, but not this one SO FAR! Why I don't know, but maybe it's because we haven't added any real quality, and the other clubs have, so the players here are as good as they were, it's just that the players for the other clubs are now better?

I thought Maynard would be scoring for fun considering he's in the Premierships shop window as to speak.

If there was some MAGIC FIGURE that you'd need too spend to enable survival by just 1 point, of course we'd spend it, but what is that FIGURE? Running a Championship club on a tight budget is of course sensible, but not ideal if you're thinking about mid table upwards, and I fear that SL has taken a gamble with not spending anymore of his hard earned, thinking we had a good enough squad just to stay up.

IMO with the Stadium still not ticked off, and with the 11 or 12 players out of contract and the end of the season, he was happy to just do the minimum this season, and just survive. Then next season maybe with some good news about the stadium, and the funds being released by letting some/all of the out of contract players go, he'd inject some money back into the squad.

We are still all waiting with baited breath on who the next manager will be, and this will hopefully give us an insight into SL'S head on which route he intends to take with his money, and any further cash injection. He most definitely didn't expect to be paying off Millen and looking for a new manager this season, believe me!

This January is going to be very intriguing!! :yes:

Archived