IGNORED

Rooney Banned For 3 Matches

TRL

I agree with the 3 match ban but i also think Capello will take him and rightly so; he'll be coming home without kicking a ball, or player, though as we will go out at the group stages. Actually, we probably won't but you'd have to have a little laugh at WR's expense if not England of course.

Don't play him between now and then, try some other combos and don't take him

Stupid little t*t deserves not to go, bet he's a bad egg anyway, upsetting team morale

Leave Terry behind as well, 'cos he's a see you next Tuesday as well

And Terry is also a crap international defender, he's a cart horse, good at Prem Level, woefully exposed at internationl level.

It beggars belief he is picked, let alone Captain!

The punishment far outweighs the offence. The ref let worse go during the game!

Personally I don't think he should play for England after his on camera rant during the World Cup but in recent games I felt that with Ashley Young drifting in the England team looked capable of turning in some decent results.

If Rooney joined Barca he would look like another really good Barca player. A bit like Villa. He would happily play 3rd or 4th fiddle to Messi, Iniesta and the genius that is Xavi. He has said as much himself. He wouldn't get sent off playing for them either as he'd be scared of the bollocking the likes of Pep Guardiola, Xavi and Puyol would give him.

Messi is the best footballing role model I could think of. No petulance, no cynicism, no greed. He is at his best in a team environment. He's not been successful for the Argies cos they have too many 'stars' - just like us. He is only great for Barca because of Barca. His team enable him to be so good.

Put Rooney in that squad and he'd learn the importance of team spirit and cohesion. He'd learn how to be a leader. He'd learn what makes a successful person.

Despite his medals and achievements, it still feels like he's not yet realised his potential. He needs to go to one of 2 sides really.

I disagree with most of the above but especially the highlighted text.

The reason Rooney is second rate is that he doesn't learn from his mistakes.

He looks world class against Wigan (a classic flat-track bully). Put him up against great players and he looks like a petulant teenager.

The punishment far outweighs the offence. The ref let worse go during the game!

Personally I don't think he should play for England after his on camera rant during the World Cup but in recent games I felt that with Ashley Young drifting in the England team looked capable of turning in some decent results.

Why? It would be a 3 game ban in the premier league.

Not that I in ant way condone Ronney's behaviour and really after so many incidents of this nature he should have learnt, but i can't help thinking that this is all part of that wonderous section of the English psyche where we love to hate our 'heroes'. As misplaced as it is, Rooney is often just guilty of showing passion; something that people constantly moan about there being none of on this forum. Rooney kicked out because he was frustrated about not getting service. This is partly down to his own 2nd half performance, but partly those around him and at least he cares. If he'd trudged around looking disinterested he'd have got nearly as much grief

The debate about him being overrated is also somewhat moot; of course he's overrated, he's an English footballer. We like to build our sportsmen up to unsustainable levels so that we can knock them down and feel better about ourselves when they fail. Rooney is a supremely talented footballer, certainly the best we have currently. Is he as good as Messi or Xavi? Almost certainly not, but a direct comparison isn't fair; Barcelona are a team of brilliant indivduals who're even better than the sum of their parts. Put Rooney in there and he would look a better player and conversely take Xavi or Messi out and they would look worse. Messi, for example, is no where near the player for Argentina that he is for Barcelona. Plus (and correct me if i'm wrong) but i think Rooney and Messi have played in the same number of Champions League finals?

For what its worth, i think this could be a blessing in disguise for England; we now need to formulate a genuine plan b and plan c and if we get through the group stage, it'll be a boost to get a fit and rested Rooney back. I'd like to see either Gerrard in the hole behind Carrol or Bent or Young switched in there and Adam Johnson brought in on the wing. There may even be the oportunity to blood Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who i think looks as good a prospect as Rooney did at 18 :englandsmile4wf:

Not that I in ant way condone Ronney's behaviour and really after so many incidents of this nature he should have learnt, but i can't help thinking that this is all part of that wonderous section of the English psyche where we love to hate our 'heroes'. As misplaced as it is, Rooney is often just guilty of showing passion; something that people constantly moan about there being none of on this forum. Rooney kicked out because he was frustrated about not getting service. This is partly down to his own 2nd half performance, but partly those around him and at least he cares. If he'd trudged around looking disinterested he'd have got nearly as much grief

The debate about him being overrated is also somewhat moot; of course he's overrated, he's an English footballer. We like to build our sportsmen up to unsustainable levels so that we can knock them down and feel better about ourselves when they fail. Rooney is a supremely talented footballer, certainly the best we have currently. Is he as good as Messi or Xavi? Almost certainly not, but a direct comparison isn't fair; Barcelona are a team of brilliant indivduals who're even better than the sum of their parts. Put Rooney in there and he would look a better player and conversely take Xavi or Messi out and they would look worse. Messi, for example, is no where near the player for Argentina that he is for Barcelona. Plus (and correct me if i'm wrong) but i think Rooney and Messi have played in the same number of Champions League finals?

For what its worth, i think this could be a blessing in disguise for England; we now need to formulate a genuine plan b and plan c and if we get through the group stage, it'll be a boost to get a fit and rested Rooney back. I'd like to see either Gerrard in the hole behind Carrol or Bent or Young switched in there and Adam Johnson brought in on the wing. There may even be the oportunity to blood Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who i think looks as good a prospect as Rooney did at 18 :englandsmile4wf:

Out of interest, and no Rooney bashing now. What would you do:-

Take Rooney and take the 3 game hit and hope we get to play in the knock out stage

Don't take Rooney, but then have him unavaialble for three games in World cup qualifying.

Quandries quandries quandries

Out of interest, and no Rooney bashing now. What would you do:-

Take Rooney and take the 3 game hit and hope we get to play in the knock out stage

Don't take Rooney, but then have him unavaialble for three games in World cup qualifying.

Quandries quandries quandries

Being sensible, you'd wait until we knew our group opponents before deciding that. However, you can take a squad of 23 to these tournaments and i'm a firm believer in taking 1 or 2 wild card picks to a tournament; normally a young player or 2 who will be unknown but can play without fear if you have your backs against the wall. They might never play a game, but then again they might be the difference between success and failure. Rooney would, for me, be one of those players. Without making direct comparisons, if Spain knew Xavi or Iniesta or Germany knew Muller or Ozil or Holland knew Sniejder would miss the first 3 games do you think they'd leave them at home?

PS I can't see a scenario where England will win the tournament BTW, but there's no point going unless we're not aiming to at least reach the final

That's not the case. Under the terms of his ban he is currently ineligible for England's next three competitive matches, irrespective of whether he's selected for the squad next summer. Therefore even if we don't take him to the Euros he will still be eligible for the first qualifier for 2014 (which will probably be in September 2012), unless of course he gets sent off again in the knockout stages next summer.

Archived