IGNORED

The Importance Of Dicks

handsofclayOLD

Our most successful manager harolD thICKett had the word Dick in his name. Our second most successful, Alan DICKs was blessed with the plural of DICK in his name. Our fourth most successful frederICK forD was also blessed. No other manager of Bristol City in the 117 years of our existence has had the word DICK in their name except these three who each achieved promotions and in Thickett's case an FA Cup Final and League Championship runners-up spot.

Ladies and Gentlemen, DereK mCInnes has the word DICK in his name, indeed like A.V. Dicks he has the plural. It is a sign that the new messiah has arrived.

Obviously virtually every Bristol City manager has been called a Dick in his time, but only the blessed actually contain those prophetic letters that spell out that glorious name in the name they were actually christened with.

Probably City's fifth greatest manager was patrICK beasley in the 1950s, just imagine how much more successful he would've been had the vicar been brahms and lidzt when he'd christened him and given him the name Padrick instead.

If you think this isn't a sign, think of our least successful managers. There isn't one D or I or C or K in Benny Lennartsons name for instance, or Russell Osman.

I hope the board our reading this as marK robIns applying this criteria is half the man DereK mCInnes is.

If you think there's nothing in this name lark, look at Man Utd. Their two most successful managers both had the word SIR in their name (Sir Matt and Sir Alex)

Ah... BUT... Neither were "Sir" before being in the Mun Ure job for many years - so at the time they had little or no experience at that level so they were clearly destined to be terrible, unambitious appointments. The cheap option. Yes men blah blah blah etc etc!

This topic has got me thinking (not about DICKS) as per the OP!

... but i think you are onto something with the name trends at certain clubs.

Take Rovers for instance.

The nickname for many of their most successful "gasheads" has been the same (IMO) for as long as I can remember..

Holloway = ****

Francis = ****

Cureton = ****

Penrice = ****

Alexander = ****

and so on.........

Our most successful manager harolD thICKett had the word Dick in his name. Our second most successful, Alan DICKs was blessed with the plural of DICK in his name. Our fourth most successful frederICK forD was also blessed. No other manager of Bristol City in the 117 years of our existence has had the word DICK in their name except these three who each achieved promotions and in Thickett's case an FA Cup Final and League Championship runners-up spot.

Ladies and Gentlemen, DereK mCInnes has the word DICK in his name, indeed like A.V. Dicks he has the plural. It is a sign that the new messiah has arrived.

Obviously virtually every Bristol City manager has been called a Dick in his time, but only the blessed actually contain those prophetic letters that spell out that glorious name in the name they were actually christened with.

Probably City's fifth greatest manager was patrICK beasley in the 1950s, just imagine how much more successful he would've been had the vicar been brahms and lidzt when he'd christened him and given him the name Padrick instead.

If you think this isn't a sign, think of our least successful managers. There isn't one D or I or C or K in Benny Lennartsons name for instance, or Russell Osman.

I hope the board our reading this as marK robIns applying this criteria is half the man DereK mCInnes is.

Like your thought process Handsof....I only asked yesterday if Alan had applied for his job back!! Derek McInnes it is then!!

Cmon Steve/Colin You know it makes sense

As I stated earlier, I hope the board are reading this. It is a sign.

If you think there is nothing in this coincidence lark, I'll put this to you: The incident that sparked the first world war was the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914. What was the registration number of the car he was shot in...111118. The first world war ended on Nov 11th, 1918 (11/11/18). Furthermore, when Accrington Stanley went out of biz in 1962, who replaced them in the league...Oxford United. When Oxford United were relegated from the league a few years ago, who replaced them....Accrington Stanley.

I kid you not, I have looked at the names of all City's managers throughout their 117 year history, and Derek McInnes is the first manager (if he is appointed) that contains the word Dick in his name since Alan Dicks....and coincidentally, our greatest manager, Harold Thickett also had the word Dick in his name.

I think we have to reach the conclusion that at Bristol City our greatest managers are Dicks, and Derek McInnes is thus blessed.

As I stated earlier, I hope the board are reading this. It is a sign.

If you think there is nothing in this coincidence lark, I'll put this to you: The incident that sparked the first world war was the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914. What was the registration number of the car he was shot in...111118. The first world war ended on Nov 11th, 1918 (11/11/18). Furthermore, when Accrington Stanley went out of biz in 1962, who replaced them in the league...Oxford United. When Oxford United were relegated from the league a few years ago, who replaced them....Accrington Stanley.

I kid you not, I have looked at the names of all City's managers throughout their 117 year history, and Derek McInnes is the first manager (if he is appointed) that contains the word Dick in his name since Alan Dicks....and coincidentally, our greatest manager, Harold Thickett also had the word Dick in his name.

I think we have to reach the conclusion that at Bristol City our greatest managers are Dicks, and Derek McInnes is thus blessed.

You could have saved us all a whole lot of time and worry by putting this case across long before now.

I don't know why the board have even bothered to interview people when this catagorically proves that you have the solution sorted.

One thing i would ask though - onebody knows for certain that McInnes is in the running for the job. So, who else would possibly qualify as a suitable candidate to be Bristol City manager....? People that are in the game today (not the likes of David Dickenson)

i really hope this is true and del boy is our man, i feel he will really lift the whole doom and gloom that has been suffocating the club for to long now. i never even felt this optimistic when coppell was appointed, the futures looking brighter :fingerscrossed::sign09:

You could have saved us all a whole lot of time and worry by putting this case across long before now.

I don't know why the board have even bothered to interview people when this catagorically proves that you have the solution sorted.

One thing i would ask though - onebody knows for certain that McInnes is in the running for the job. So, who else would possibly qualify as a suitable candidate to be Bristol City manager....? People that are in the game today (not the likes of David Dickenson)

DavId beCKham

I didn't really want to bring this into the equation, but there is a photo of Harold Thickett in his playing days with Sheff Utd, in which he looks the spitting image of Alan Dicks. It is on page 28 and 29 of a book called 'To The Palace for the Cup' the reason I haven't mentioned it before is because I haven't got the foggiest idea of how to reproduce it on here. I have a scanner, so if someone can give me instructions I will give it a bash. Thickett died in 1920 aged just 48 (the age I am now, although later next month I won't be). This was before Alan Dicks was born.

The two greatest managers of England also had the word SIR in their names: SIR Alf Ramsey and SIR Bobby Robson. Also the two greatest managers of Liverpool had the words 'SLY B' in their names, BiLl ShanklY and Bob paiSLeY. I can't find any other Sly B's who have managed Liverpool. This might explain why Roy Hodgson never lasted long at either Ashton Gate or Anfield, because he was neither a Dick nor a Sly B. Kenny Dalglish is sly but not a B.

Can't believe Sexstone failed to mention that this was in his recruitment criteria.

I'm Bristolian, my surname is Dickson. Can I have the job?

The son of Dick. It just can't be ignored.

It's, it's....pre-destined!

Welcome to the job CotswoldRed.

Archived