IGNORED

The Importance Of Dicks

handsofclayOLD

I stated about the uncanny resemblance between Alan Dicks and the only manager other than him to take us into the top flight, Thickett. I haven't found a way of getting the pic of Thickett in his playing days at Sheff Utd, but temporarily I have posted it at www.hystericalbristol.com once on there click on the ABOUT link and you'll find it on that page.

Thickett was our most successful manager. He is the only manager to qualify us for the European Champions League (but about 90 years too early). The only Euro nations playing back in 1907 were the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man. City were due to meet the Isle of Man in Douglas, but they insisted on sewing their flag into the pitch. This caused problems because UEFA were against matches being played over three legs.

Thickett is also the only manager to get us to the FA Cup Final. Study the pic and I think you'll agree he could pass for A V Dicks. Thickett died in 1920, before Dicks was born.

I'll keep the pic there for a couple of days.

Not sure if this is what prompted the OP to mention Alan Dicks, but he was actually at the Gate yesterday, and before any joker says it, no, he was not on the shortlist. Alan Dicks was the greatest manager in my lifetime, and after a very shaky start to his AG career, which in this day and age wouldn't have been tolerated by supporters or directors, he built a very good young side, littered with Scots, which ultimately took us up into the top division. As we all know, relegation and 1982 happened, and Dicks was to be history, and I am ashamed to say I have a photograph of me on holiday in Paignton with the words DICKS OUT emblazoned across the front. ( thinking about it now, it's a good job I didn't walk into a gay bar wearing that ), but Alan Dicks will always be a legend at this club and we owe him our eternal thanks.

I second that Horse With No Name, but don't be too hard on yourself. It was probably the right time for him to go, and he then failed at Div 3 Gillingham where Brian Moore was a director, despite all his experience at top flight and second flight level!

You are right about the fact Dicks would've been fired well before getting us promoted to the top flight if it was nowadays. Indeed, it has often been thought that he would've been axed in 1974, but we got that fantastic win at Leeds Utd in the cup replay, Leeds who had been unbeaten all season and were miles out in front at the top of the First Div (prem lge).

Incidentally, another coincidence between Thickett and Dicks....they were both full-backs in their playing careers.

Our most successful manager harolD thICKett had the word Dick in his name. Our second most successful, Alan DICKs was blessed with the plural of DICK in his name. Our fourth most successful frederICK forD was also blessed. No other manager of Bristol City in the 117 years of our existence has had the word DICK in their name except these three who each achieved promotions and in Thickett's case an FA Cup Final and League Championship runners-up spot.

Ladies and Gentlemen, DereK mCInnes has the word DICK in his name, indeed like A.V. Dicks he has the plural. It is a sign that the new messiah has arrived.

Obviously virtually every Bristol City manager has been called a Dick in his time, but only the blessed actually contain those prophetic letters that spell out that glorious name in the name they were actually christened with.

Probably City's fifth greatest manager was patrICK beasley in the 1950s, just imagine how much more successful he would've been had the vicar been brahms and lidzt when he'd christened him and given him the name Padrick instead.

If you think this isn't a sign, think of our least successful managers. There isn't one D or I or C or K in Benny Lennartsons name for instance, or Russell Osman.

I hope the board our reading this as marK robIns applying this criteria is half the man DereK mCInnes is.

That's brilliant - bring on Derek McInnes, the new Alan Dicks! laughcont.gif

Not sure if this is what prompted the OP to mention Alan Dicks, but he was actually at the Gate yesterday, and before any joker says it, no, he was not on the shortlist. Alan Dicks was the greatest manager in my lifetime, and after a very shaky start to his AG career, which in this day and age wouldn't have been tolerated by supporters or directors, he built a very good young side, littered with Scots, which ultimately took us up into the top division. As we all know, relegation and 1982 happened, and Dicks was to be history, and I am ashamed to say I have a photograph of me on holiday in Paignton with the words DICKS OUT emblazoned across the front. ( thinking about it now, it's a good job I didn't walk into a gay bar wearing that ), but Alan Dicks will always be a legend at this club and we owe him our eternal thanks.

Gets my vote!

Archived