IGNORED

Gerry Gow

pottyun69

My all time BCFC hero and I watched Big John Atyeo for 10 years, so that's saying something. Not just a hard man, gifted footballer with a football brain, an eye for a goal. Led from the front even at a very young age.

Even the old school hard men Bremner, Hunter, Tommy Smith, Souness and many others did'nt relish 90 minutes against Gerry. I think it was another gifted midfielder Don Masson who said he was the opponent he found most difficult to play against, because he was always there.

The gas had their so called hard man Frankie Prince, he could only do it 'from behind' (no pun intended) Gerry did it face to face (again no pun intended) Prince nearly always went hiding when playing against Gerry.

I cannot big this guy up enough and I hope he gets his just deserts from this testimonial year, because my god he deserves it, unlike most of the overpaid pussies currently bringing shame on the club, there is'nt one of them fit to lace his boots.

My all time BCFC hero and I watched Big John Atyeo for 10 years, so that's saying something. Not just a hard man, gifted footballer with a football brain, an eye for a goal. Led from the front even at a very young age.

Even the old school hard men Bremner, Hunter, Tommy Smith, Souness and many others did'nt relish 90 minutes against Gerry. I think it was another gifted midfielder Don Masson who said he was the opponent he found most difficult to play against, because he was always there.

The gas had their so called hard man Frankie Prince, he could only do it 'from behind' (no pun intended) Gerry did it face to face (again no pun intended) Prince nearly always went hiding when playing against Gerry.

I cannot big this guy up enough and I hope he gets his just deserts from this testimonial year, because my god he deserves it, unlike most of the overpaid pussies currently bringing shame on the club, there is'nt one of them fit to lace his boots.

Well said all round. He was a hard man but worked hard to make himself a good player too or he would not have ended up at Man City. Skuse, Elliott and Kilkenny combined wouldn't make half a Gerry Gow. And in the "I'm Mr Bristol City" stakes Louis Carey is a non-starter in comparison (as indeed he is compared to Geoff Merrick), Just have to remember players like Garry, Geoff, Trevor Tainton, Gerry Sweeney, Tom Ritchie, Dave Rodgers and the rest to realise just what a bunch of wasters we have these days. With the money first attitude of modern players and our hopelessly inadequate youth system (5 of the 6 players I mention came through the youth team) we will never see their like again.:disapointed2se:

Well said all round. He was a hard man but worked hard to make himself a good player too or he would not have ended up at Man City. Skuse, Elliott and Kilkenny combined wouldn't make half a Gerry Gow. And in the "I'm Mr Bristol City" stakes Louis Carey is a non-starter in comparison (as indeed he is compared to Geoff Merrick), Just have to remember players like Garry, Geoff, Trevor Tainton, Gerry Sweeney, Tom Ritchie, Dave Rodgers and the rest to realise just what a bunch of wasters we have these days. With the money first attitude of modern players and our hopelessly inadequate youth system (5 of the 6 players I mention came through the youth team) we will never see their like again.:disapointed2se:

Exactly, Gerry was not a snide who was constantly knocking on the headmasters door, he knew his place and got on with and never gave less than 100%, something very sadly we cannot say about the past 3/4 years.

Best player i've ever seen in a Bristol City shirt number 4 GOW would be a true pleasure to honour the man,,,, can't compare him to any of the present players as my boy-hood hero watched him his entire City career how sad to see this mob leading us down to League 1without any of his drive,skill, leadership and balls ....

Great player, but lets also not forget he lead us to 3 consecutive relegation, so his drive and leadership on the pitch may not have been as great as we think. As a individual player though, you can not doubt his ability and his own will to win.

Great player, but lets also not forget he lead us to 3 consecutive relegation, so his drive and leadership on the pitch may not have been as great as we think. As a individual player though, you can not doubt his ability and his own will to win.

Bollox did he, he left in 1981 whilst we were in the old 2nd division (championship in new money) FFS.

Bollox did he, he left in 1981 whilst we were in the old 2nd division (championship in new money) FFS.

Ah i stand corrected, scrub my post from history ans wash my mouth out with Soapy water I thought he went when we dropped to old 3rd division, typo in the first post should have been 2 consecutive relegations, but i got that wrong as well. not having a good evening it would appear.

Let's be fair, we were on the slide and there is not player on this earth who could have stopped that slide we were in on his own.

What he had was passion, 100% committment, drive and no little skill and I never once saw him shirk a tackle. What I'd give to see a Gerry Gow in the middle for us at the moment. Sadly that could never happen again in this age of money grabbing, self centred football mercenaries. disapointed2se.gif

Ah i stand corrected, scrub my post from history ans wash my mouth out with Soapy water I thought he went when we dropped to old 3rd division, typo in the first post should have been 2 consecutive relegations, but i got that wrong as well. not having a good evening it would appear.

More bollox your ******* wrong again FFS, he left at the start of the season well before the 2nd relegations. So 1 relegation and he never lead don't recall him being captain.

More bollox your ******* wrong again FFS, he left at the start of the season well before the 2nd relegations. So 1 relegation and he never lead don't recall him being captain.

re read my post, i just said i got that wrong as well.

One of the greatest City greats of my time following the club...

Wasn't remotely responsible for the relegation from the top flight, indeed was one of the main reasons we stayed there as long as we did. Was long gone - sadly for us - before the rot truly set in.

Perhaps pipped by Tom Ritchie for Tom's efforts to revive us when we were really down.

Boy, could we do with a Gerry Gow (and a Tom Ritchie) right now...

Thank goodness i thought my rose coloured glasse's had misted over he got the move his talent deserved before we crashed through the leagues Bristol City 1969-1981, 375 apps ,48 goals Manchester City 1981,26 apps 5 goals Rotherham 81-83, 58 apps 4 goals Burnley 83-84, 9 apps 0 goals.....

re read my post, i just said i got that wrong as well.

I do apologize a bit quick with my 2nd reply. I have a blind spot where Gerry Gow is concerned and will not allow anybody to sully his name or achievements whilst at BCFC, he never shirked or gave less than 100%, coming away from games in which we lost (sometimes heavily) you always knew that Gerry had still given his all, that is why he is so loved. As you can see from the original article even though he only played 26 games for Man City he has legend status with them, I remember in an interview on match of day his manager at Man City John Bond was asked about Gerry Gow and his reply "yeah he's a little bugger is'nt he".

Still it got me thinking about 1976-1980 seasons and the fact that the 5 of the mainstays of those seasons were Scots Gow, Sweeney, Ritchie, Cormack and Gillies. During those great seasons I can't remember many totally gutless performances, yes we had our fair share of defeats but the team did'nt really contain any players who hid when the chips were down, Jimmy Mann occasionally but he was on his day so gifted it was forgivable.

Gerry Sweeney is somebody I knew quite well and how he is not still involved in the game is beyond me, he was assistant to Joe Jordan and did a spell as caretaker after Jordan left, he worked a lot with the youth players pre academy, knows the game inside out and has always kept himself fit, he still runs most days, he told me he enjoyed it and it had become habit/drug.

Read this article it'll tell you all you need to know about those days and especially Gerry's Sweeney and Gow, it's a great read.

http://www.bcfc.co.u...~818837,00.html

One of the greatest City greats of my time following the club...

Wasn't remotely responsible for the relegation from the top flight, indeed was one of the main reasons we stayed there as long as we did. Was long gone - sadly for us - before the rot truly set in.

Perhaps pipped by Tom Ritchie for Tom's efforts to revive us when we were really down.

Boy, could we do with a Gerry Gow (and a Tom Ritchie) right now...

I had the good fortune to speak to both at the recent "hall of fame" event.

Both City legends on and off the pitch for me...........

I do apologize a bit quick with my 2nd reply. I have a blind spot where Gerry Gow is concerned and will not allow anybody to sully his name or achievements whilst at BCFC, he never shirked or gave less than 100%, coming away from games in which we lost (sometimes heavily) you always knew that Gerry had still given his all, that is why he is so loved. As you can see from the original article even though he only played 26 games for Man City he has legend status with them, I remember in an interview on match of day his manager at Man City John Bond was asked about Gerry Gow and his reply "yeah he's a little bugger is'nt he".

Still it got me thinking about 1976-1980 seasons and the fact that the 5 of the mainstays of those seasons were Scots Gow, Sweeney, Ritchie, Cormack and Gillies. During those great seasons I can't remember many totally gutless performances, yes we had our fair share of defeats but the team did'nt really contain any players who hid when the chips were down, Jimmy Mann occasionally but he was on his day so gifted it was forgivable.

Gerry Sweeney is somebody I knew quite well and how he is not still involved in the game is beyond me, he was assistant to Joe Jordan and did a spell as caretaker after Jordan left, he worked a lot with the youth players pre academy, knows the game inside out and has always kept himself fit, he still runs most days, he told me he enjoyed it and it had become habit/drug.

Read this article it'll tell you all you need to know about those days and especially Gerry's Sweeney and Gow, it's a great read.

http://www.bcfc.co.u...~818837,00.html

No worries, I think my age and memories are catching up with me. Some of those great stars were sullied in my eyes when we capitulated down the leagues, I am still not entirely sure what went so wrong, Financial catastrophe, but a lot of the good players were still playing for us, same players that showed heart and fight suddenly went to pieces in the space of 3 years

Gerry Sweeney

Dave Rodgers

Peter Aitken

Geoff Merrick

Chris Garland

Trevor Tainton

Jimmy Mann

Julian Marshall

the 8 who gave up their contracts who performed at the top suddenly couldn't perform as they dropped through the leagues, heros yes, but in some part played a big part in our own downfall.

Still, I'll never forget the great memories they gave me

No worries, I think my age and memories are catching up with me. Some of those great stars were sullied in my eyes when we capitulated down the leagues, I am still not entirely sure what went so wrong, Financial catastrophe, but a lot of the good players were still playing for us, same players that showed heart and fight suddenly went to pieces in the space of 3 years

Gerry Sweeney

Dave Rodgers

Peter Aitken

Geoff Merrick

Chris Garland

Trevor Tainton

Jimmy Mann

Julian Marshall

the 8 who gave up their contracts who performed at the top suddenly couldn't perform as they dropped through the leagues, heros yes, but in some part played a big part in our own downfall.

Still, I'll never forget the great memories they gave me

Jesus mate wtf are you on. Gerry Sweeney was 37 years old, Merrick, Tainton and Mann were in their 30's, Garland and Rogers were also in their 30's and a virtual cripples from injuries and playing when they should'nt have.

Aitken was signed in the near the end of the 81 season in our 2nd division days after spending 8 years with the gas, Marshall was signed because he was very tall and we needed a centre half (he was shit) both never played in the first division only after the rot had set in.

FFS please give up now mate.

Jesus mate wtf are you on. Gerry Sweeney was 37 years old, Merrick, Tainton and Mann were in their 30's, Garland and Rogers were also in their 30's and a virtual cripples from injuries and playing when they should'nt have.

Aitken was signed in the near the end of the 81 season in our 2nd division days after spending 8 years with the gas, Marshall was signed because he was very tall and we needed a centre half (he was shit) both never played in the first division only after the rot had set in.

FFS please give up now mate.

That is what kind of annoys me, the 10 year contracts when they were not fit to do it. like i said it sullied what was a great era, I just wish they had moved on so they were not associated with the failure.

Saying that, I think everyone of us would have accepted a 10 year contract if offered.

I would rather I just remembered most of them for their efforts in the top flight, rather than large wages (for that era), not playing or playing unfit as we dropped through the leagues.

What a great article couldn't agree or support it more.

I wonder what he would have said had he been in the dugout with Tevez??

dont think he would have needed to say much ,

just that look would have had tevez stripping off to go on .

the man is a legend .

proud to say i saw him play for us .

Just been told that Gerry gow has been given a testimonial game at Ashton gate on May 27th 2012

Early days in team and who they will play but plans are in motion to a possible Man city vs Bristol city

The money grabbing fainthearts we now have on the books could take a lesson from Gow and if ever there is a man who deserves a testimonial then it is he.

If I weren't on holiday I would drive from Peterborough to Ashton Gate to be there as he was, along with Paul Cheesley , my idol in the team of that era and he epitomised everything that we now lack. He was too often underestimated and viewed as just a hard man, but he was one heck of a footballer and heaven knows what his value would be in today's game. For the younger fans who think that Tommy Doherty was hard, then Tommy was a pussy compared with GG!

Even now, if Gow came on for 5 minutes at the end of a game vs Man City he would probably try to put Silva into row z of the stands.

He's here, he's there, he's every *****nwhere, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow - and he was!!

The money grabbing fainthearts we now have on the books could take a lesson from Gow and if ever there is a man who deserves a testimonial then it is he.

If I weren't on holiday I would drive from Peterborough to Ashton Gate to be there as he was, along with Paul Cheesley , my idol in the team of that era and he epitomised everything that we now lack. He was too often underestimated and viewed as just a hard man, but he was one heck of a footballer and heaven knows what his value would be in today's game. For the younger fans who think that Tommy Doherty was hard, then Tommy was a pussy compared with GG!

Even now, if Gow came on for 5 minutes at the end of a game vs Man City he would probably try to put Silva into row z of the stands.

He's here, he's there, he's every *****nwhere, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow - and he was!!

Agreed...

From the eastend vs Blackpool a few chants went up ''He's here, he's there, WE NEED YOU OUT THERE, Gerry Gow''

That sums it up ;)

Ahhh that brought a smile to my face, short sweet and to the point, great chant

Archived