IGNORED

Play Albert In The Middle

Kingswood Robin

As we've absolutely no attacking central midlfield whatsoever, why not let Albert have a go in the middle. We desperately need someone who can run with the ball in the middle, he did it a few times today and thats where I thought he looked most dangerous. Charging down the right wing is all well and good, but it just isn't working for us.

As we've absolutely no attacking central midlfield whatsoever, why not let Albert have a go in the middle. We desperately need someone who can run with the ball in the middle, he did it a few times today and thats where I thought he looked most dangerous. Charging down the right wing is all well and good, but it just isn't working for us.

Funny thing, thats why I thought we bought Bolaise, what a waste of money thats been so far.

:argh:

No, keep Albert where he is.

What we need to do, is settle for a 4-4-2 formation and stick with it for the rest of the season.

We should then play as many players in the their natural position as possible and work over and over again on a pattern of play.

As the weeks go by we should look to replace the weaker players with other squad members so that we get the strongest starting 11 as possible.

If we still have massive weaknesses, we should then look to fill those gaps with loans or signings in January.

We've got to start farting about with formations and get right back to basics. We'll lose a few, but we'll hopefully win enough to get us out of trouble.

Del... PLEASE DON'T READ THIS THREAD (in case he get any ideas) :surrender:

It is not an attacking midfielder we need... It's a CREATIVE one! :facepalm:

No, keep Albert where he is.What we need to do, is settle for a 4-4-2 formation and stick with it for the rest of the season.We should then play as many players in the their natural position as possible and work over and over again on a pattern of play.As the weeks go by we should look to replace the weaker players with other squad members so that we get the strongest starting 11 as possible.If we still have massive weaknesses, we should then look to fill those gaps with loans or signings in January.We've got to start farting about with formations and get right back to basics. We'll lose a few, but we'll hopefully win enough to get us out of trouble.

I think you mean STOP!

I actually agree with you and was thinkng the same last night - Albert gets forward quickly and directly when he picks up the ball but its usually on the flanks where he can do limited damage and also he needs to improve his crossing - so imagine the trouble he could cause if he made those probing runs in the middle and regularly got within shooting range on the edge or just inside the box

I wouldnt be surprised if McInnes comes to this conclusion and plays 2 holding midfielders behind Albert -i dont understand where these other posters ( who are disagreeing with you ) think another atacking threat is going to come from ?? Certainly nobody else in the squad as dangerous as Albert

Agreed. Probably the best single thing we can do with the current squad.

Agreed. Probably the best single thing we can do with the current squad.

Remember Alberts pushing forward central midfield yesterday passing three players before feeding Kilkenny with a inch perfect pass?

Albert is outstanding.

4-3-1-2 Albert in hole maybe as a direct centre mid no.

Best thing with the current squad we can do is change it... Remember we don't have another decent right winger so you're just shifting the problem. that central midfield has been an issue for ages at city. We got it right with the three man midfield in the promotion/season after season, and Hartley was immense. But think of all the bad players we've had there getting games.

Who was the last central midfielder to score ten goals in a season for city?

I would suggest Derek does read this thread!

I'm not suggesting it's a permanent fix, just something different we could try with what we've got at the moment.

I'm fully aware need a creative and attacking permanent central midfielder, but we ain't got one at the moment. We know Albert can go past 2 or 3 people so could be ideal in a congested central area (think Hoolahan). It's easier to thread in strikers from an advanced central position than try to get crosses from the right bang on every time. He can also chip in with goals from this position, goodness knows we could do with an attacking midfielder that can chip in with 10 goals a season. In response to who we'll play on the right instead, well anyone with a right foot, which is better than we're doing on the left!

We definately need to do something different - we rely too much on Albert - we need another threat - instead of expecting Albert to do all our attacking single handedly.

I would give bolasie a chance on the left. Hopefully then we'll have a genuine threat down both sides...

We definately need to do something different - we rely too much on Albert - we need another threat - instead of expecting Albert to do all our attacking single handedly.

I would give bolasie a chance on the left. Hopefully then we'll have a genuine threat down both sides...

Agree. Although I would bring him in slowly by using him as an impact sub after 60-70 minutes - I think we would be very exposed with those 2 wingers from the start. Has he even got on the pitch yet?

This. I'd we haven't got any one attacking/creative in the middle, then let's play two attacking players out wide. Go with Cisse and Elliot/Skuse in the middle, keep it solid and get it out wide. We've got talented attacking players, we just need to use them correctly. There's an obsession with having some kind of dynamic, creative force in the middle of the park, but we simply don't have that player right now. We don't have the luxury of giving Albert 5 games to settle into a central role and JCR is never going to cut it there (or anywhere in my opinion). Simon Davey tried to play him there when in charge o Barnsley and JCR ended up frozen out an Davey was last seen gettin Darlington relegated from the football league. Nuff said

Elliott came close last season...

Indeed, we have a player who can score, yet we play him in a defensive holding role alongside a non creative player. It's pretty basic. Play Cisse and Elliott, it works, god knwo why Millen wanted to mess with it.

I've said for along time to anyone in the pub that I think Clarkson would do a good job in the middle just behind the front two, to me he seems more at home in the hole behind a front two. he can tackle and spread the ball well and now under Del seem's to be given another chance. I know alot on here cant see anything in him but his goal ratio is good for the amount of limited apperance's he has had and even better when you think alot is with under 30mins to go off the bench. I also think we need to work on Albert lasting more than 70mins on sunday it seemed he was signaling to the bench to come off for a bit he didnt want the ball at all, now I know the poor lad had run himself into the ground as our only real outlet especially after JCR went off, but surely a pro footballer should be able to last the game .

I don't think it's completely crazy as an idea but judging from the times Adomah has run through the middle it seems imo he struggles without spacing infront of him - easily crowded out.

The reason I don't think it's a completely crazy idea is because a few times on Sunday he was running more central and I would rather he had shot than tried to cross/ pass, but his best quality requires the space on the wings imo.

If we need an attacking/ creative midfielder, then I wonder if it's worth giving either Clarkson a try again, or even one of our less used strikers - I don't know if they'd be any good, but with Adomah you're losing a class winger, and compromising quality elsewhere on the pitch.

Course, it's something that's easier to try when you're a few goals ahead and not sitting bottom of the league. DM is going to have to try doing some things differently... and some fans probably won't like it.

Surely being in the 'hole' is more about distribution to a front two, not Albert's forte. We want him to be using his pace, beating men and getting that killer cross in.Two out of three ATM but I'm hopeful that Del and Doc can improve that.

Clarkson to play the forward mf role if we're going 4-3-1-2 please.

Surely being in the 'hole' is more about distribution to a front two, not Albert's forte. We want him to be using his pace, beating men and getting that killer cross in.Two out of three ATM but I'm hopeful that Del and Doc can improve that.

What i'm thinking is him getting the ball in the hole running at pace towards the centre backs they have a big decision then commit to tackling him or staying with there man, also you ask any centre back players running at you at pace in the final third is a nightmare, just an idea not saying it's his best position but maybe something to try.

I didn't think I'd say this at the start of season and it seemed Clarkson's chance had gone but I think with him in a 4-4-1-1 just infront of the midfield and just behind pitman this would be ideal formation for pressing the opposition but also take some of the pressure off adomah. Best thing about a playing in the hole in the midfield is that the player becomes a nightmare for the opposition to mark him.

Also seem to rememeber during Clarkson's purple patch last sesaon lots of quick passes between him pitman and Adomah. oh yes of course Clarkson isn't the long term answer but I think for the short term he can provide some sort of creativity and sometimes score.

With our lack of creativity at present there has to be a real case for Clarkson to be given a go behind a lone striker, or even two strikers if you're feeling particularly brave. I know even the sight of Clarkson's name on this forum leaves people spitting out their tea, but he really isn't as bad as some people make out and, more importantly, has some talents that are unique within this squad of players. Now by no means am I suggesting that Clarky is any sort of long term answer, but there was a spell of games last season where Clarkson got a run in the team and the results were decent. Two of the best performances last season were second half at Deepdale and at The Ricoh (yes I know that Preston and Coventry were both terrible), both of these performances were largely down to the role that Clarkson played.

Additionally we have played pretty much all of our best Football in this division using a five man midfield. Although Clarkson is nowhere near as good as David Noble it is possible that he may be able to do some of the things that Noble did that made that system work so well for us. I also believe that having the extra man could possibly give more of a licence for Albert on one side and whoever is picked on the left. The performances from the left wing cannot get any worse can they! Having three in the middle will also allow Cisse to purely sit and protect our leaky defence, as well as allowing Marv to be Marv and not worry about his position on the pitch as we will always have two bodies in the middle of the park.

The problem is this means we can only pick one up front. Which means that two of Stead/Maynard and Pitman will always be on the bench. Personally I don't see a problem with Maynard having to have a spell out of the team, but I know many will have.

By no means is that plan bound to be a success and by no means am I saying that building a team around Clarkson is a good position to find yourself in, but I just feel it should be given a go as it could help us keep possesion better than we have and also create a few more chances. Both of these things need to be achieved quickly!

Archived