IGNORED

Manager Falling Out With Players...

spudski

This is going to sound controversial, but it is something that has crossed my mind many times.

Football Managers are human like anyone else, and can have personality clashes with their players, just like we can we our work colleagues.

We all know it is hard sometimes, to not let our personal feelings overshadow or intefere with our Professional judgement.

The same can be said for a Football manager.

Over the past seasons, GJ and KM alledgedly 'fell out' with certain players, and imho, they let it effect their Professional judgement on picking a team.

Our New manager hasn't got any past history with our players, and he has judged them purely on what they have done in Training and on the pitch.

So... How do you protect that 'distance' between Manager and players.

I've heard of Managers who do not speak to their players, and only consult through a Coach. They watch training from a distance, and give instruction through a third person.

They don't get to know about the personal life of a player, or have a chance to be rubbed up the wrong way. They purely base picking their team on the players performances, rather than their personality.

IMHO...it's a good thing. Any thoughts?

This is going to sound controversial, but it is something that has crossed my mind many times.

Football Managers are human like anyone else, and can have personality clashes with their players, just like we can we our work colleagues.

We all know it is hard sometimes, to not let our personal feelings overshadow or intefere with our Professional judgement.

The same can be said for a Football manager.

Over the past seasons, GJ and KM alledgedly 'fell out' with certain players, and imho, they let it effect their Professional judgement on picking a team.

Our New manager hasn't got any past history with our players, and he has judged them purely on what they have done in Training and on the pitch.

So... How do you protect that 'distance' between Manager and players.

I've heard of Managers who do not speak to their players, and only consult through a Coach. They watch training from a distance, and give instruction through a third person.

They don't get to know about the personal life of a player, or have a chance to be rubbed up the wrong way. They purely base picking their team on the players performances, rather than their personality.

IMHO...it's a good thing. Any thoughts?

If I was managing a football team i would want to be jumping in the bath with all the lads after a win but if we lose they would know i would be throwing the book at them following a gutless loss; the manager that communicates through a third party is not my idea of a successful way of coaching.

If I was managing a football team i would want to be jumping in the bath with all the lads after a win but if we lose they would know i would be throwing the book at them following a gutless loss; the manager that communicates through a third party is not my idea of a successful way of coaching.

A Manager is a Manager...A Coach a Coach. What does the Coach do, if he is not communicating with the players ( as the third Party ) the Managers Instructions and ideas?

If you become too 'matey' with the players, it's far harder to throw the book at them, when things go wrong.

This is why i feel it was hard for Milley and Tinnion to gain the players respect and put the Fear of God into them.

Anyone who has worked their way up through the ranks and gained Promotion, will tell you how hard it is to gain the respect and Manage your previous fellow co workers.

Keeping a certain distance and not 'hanging' with the players is a must imho. You have to keep a certain distance.

I dont think being 'matey' with the players makes it harder to have a go at them.. Aslong as they know your the boss and they have to respect you. I think managers who are one of the 'lads' have players wanting to play and produce for them more often as they feel very confident and comfortable.

I think there is a big difference between being 'Matey' and 'Getting along with' your players.

It is purely about Man Management ( which you can do through a third party ). The like of Alex Ferguson aren't successful because they are 'Matey' with the players.

I wouldn't say alex ferguson is a 'matey' type of manager myself, I've never seen him on the touchline giving out orders or encouraging the team, he just sits in the dug out chewing away. The likes of owen coyle, kenny dalglish are 'matey' type managers.

I think there is a big difference between being 'Matey' and 'Getting along with' your players.

It is purely about Man Management ( which you can do through a third party ). The like of Alex Ferguson aren't successful because they are 'Matey' with the players.

Granted, but Mourinho/Guardiola etc have such a good rapport with their players. I remember seeing Frank Lampard talking about if Chelsea won a game, Mourinho would get in the showers with them etc. If the players feel loved and protected they will work for you. If you come across as the Im the boss do as i say then players of today will struggle to have that affection for you. Man Management in todays game is absolutely vital.

The manager I look at now as being a brilliant man manager is Paul Lambert, his players clearly love working for him.

I wouldn't say alex ferguson is a 'matey' type of manager myself, I've never seen him on the touchline giving out orders or encouraging the team, he just sits in the dug out chewing away. The likes of owen coyle, kenny dalglish are 'matey' type managers.

Let's face it why be matey with our bunch of superstar nobodies....... give it a year or two and we will all be saying 'who' apart from the two three that stick in our minds ;)

UP THE CITY!

As a former Para sergeant and the Army football captain, you are in charge of a group of men .

You lead from the front and get their respect . With the players respect , you will maximise their efforts. Our new manager has performed on the pitch at a better level than most of our squad , the biggest factor for football managers is not about certificates and qualifications, yes they help, however the main qualification is communicating your plan and instructions to the squad. Respect and communication, there's the key to success.

I really hope McInnes has sufficient key !

Archived