IGNORED

Jonathan Pearce

thatcham red

Just voted for JP out of loyalty.

Best of the list has to be Bill Mclaren.

"He's like a buffalo leading a stampede."

"Now he can run - but not if he hasn't got any legs". (After Austin Healy gets tackled on his 5m line)

073.gif072.gif073.gif

JP last night doing a link on five live for a report on the Baa Baas v Wales rugby described Ashton Gate as "The real Theatre of Dreams".

He just can't help himself, top bloke :sub:

I heard that too! It was quality and has all the makings of a tee shirt me thinks!

On this subject of JP did anyone ever track down the whole of his second half commentary against Pool? I would love to hear it.

Also, do we know if he is commentating this weekend, if so I hope one of the clever and technically minded people on here is making arrangements to record it as WHEN we win it will be quality to hear him!

Guest Father Dougal
Voted for JP of course but the best of the lot IMO is John Arlott - trouble is, not too many of the young 'uns will remember him.
I remember him. He fled England for the Channel Islands, was a celebrated wine expert and, I'm guessing a bit, but he may have been a Southampton supporter.

I read an article once which claimed that at the age of 60 something, he saw off some young football hooligans who confronted him on a train. He sounded a bit like Arthur Negus, the antiques bloke; not many young'uns on here will remember him either. (Or give a monkeys for anything to do with antiques).

He is brilliant and when he first came onto the screens with uefa cup action on channel 5 he really did make cold, dull night european games between the likes of aston villa and some unknown slovenian partm timers all that more bearable.

Surprised to see him with so few votes but suppose he has to wait till he is old and grey before he gets the accolades.

Sorry, had to vote for Murray Walker. He was a class act. I remember seeing once when the BBC done a special commentry thing and gave the commentators different sports, Murray got snooker!!! He still commentated loudly as if it was a motor race...

Guest eviltaxman

Got to be JP.... I don't remember anyone else listed that has gone mental when City score :)

I don't suppose (ahem) if anyone has (ahem) a prog like before (ahem) for the Veteran poll (ahem) :P

Guest eviltaxman
:)

Needs to be more subtle taxman otherwise theyll get the hump again

Darn't cough (ahem) too much... might lose my voice for Sunday! :P

I remember him. He fled England for the Channel Islands, was a celebrated wine expert and, I'm guessing a bit, but he may have been a Southampton supporter.

John Arlott was born and bred in Basingstoke and was a Reading supporter. He was a copper in Southampton before getting into broadcasting through his interest in poetry.

There is only one Roger Malone.- Remember him ?

Caldicot Red.

As in "We all agree, Roger Malone is a W@^ker!"?

Supplied a classic comedy moment when the above was sung during one of his comentaries at Ashton Gate, but alas, he was indeed a 'w@^ker' and is therefore excluded from voting.

Archived