IGNORED

A Tale Of Two Strikers

Red Robin

Brett does what he does, scores goals,weather it be from the start,or from the bench.

The lads is class in front of goal.

Then we have the six million dollar man,who is huffing and puffing,sadly struggling to find form since his injury.

Thought it was a good move by Del to sub Maynard ,shows him he is not indispensable.

Hard hard decsion for the manager,who do you start one banging in goals pretty much when asked or one that is struggling with goals and form.

Maynard has a far better work rate than Pitman and in the first hour of the match when you need to be closing down the defense to stop them, Maynard is the right striker to choose. I thought he ran his socks off yesterday, and while he didn't score, he helped set up the second goal.

A striker needs to do more than just score goals, and it seems odd to question his worth to the team 2 games since he scored a 90th minute winner.

Maynard has a far better work rate than Pitman and in the first hour of the match when you need to be closing down the defense to stop them, Maynard is the right striker to choose. I thought he ran his socks off yesterday, and while he didn't score, he helped set up the second goal.

A striker needs to do more than just score goals, and it seems odd to question his worth to the team 2 games since he scored a 90th minute winner.

Strikers main job is to put ball in net.

I think that has been the case since football was invented

Agreed, Maynard looked knackered as he came off and was a good decision to sub him. I thought maynards play in general was good and despite not having many clear cut chances he made some for others.

But it's not their only job. So you're telling me, you want to see Pitman start, not close the defenders down and let the opposition pass it around and dictate play?

And you do realise Maynard is still our top scorer, which would indicate to me he is still scoring.

Im a huge fan of Pitman and always believe there is a goal in the team when he plays...but to put down Maynards performance yday is fair. The guy ran his socks off, help the ball up well and looked to turn where possible. Unfortunately, as the lone striker found himself with his back to goal...soon as Pitman came their defence had more problems to deal with allowing Maynard to get in behind and send it across to pitman. Would love to see both in team...also think Albert is more effective in 442 as he gets to pick the ball up deeper and run with it.

which would indicate to me he is still scoring.

It matters less now that we are picking up points but 1 goal in his last 14 games would indicate he is not scoring enough wouldn't it?

If Jon Stead had played the last 14 and only scored 1 he would be getting tortured on this Forum.

Pitman has 3 in his last 8 games, 5 of which have been sub appearances.

Maynards work rate has improved, City are winning and therefore he is just about doing enough to hold down his place.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in January anyway.

Im a huge fan of Pitman and always believe there is a goal in the team when he plays...but to put down Maynards performance yday is fair. The guy ran his socks off, help the ball up well and looked to turn where possible. Unfortunately, as the lone striker found himself with his back to goal...soon as Pitman came their defence had more problems to deal with allowing Maynard to get in behind and send it across to pitman. Would love to see both in team...also think Albert is more effective in 442 as he gets to pick the ball up deeper and run with it.

Tippy,I am not nocking maynards contribution,I just think pitman looks more likely to put the ball in the net at present.

As said above the job strikers are paid to do.

That display yesterday was the best at the gate for a very very long time.

Long may in continue.

And you do realise Maynard is still our top scorer, which would indicate to me he is still scoring.

It would indicate to me he's the striker getting the most minutes on the pitch, by a very long way.

Little doubt Pitman would have scored more than 4 goals from 16 consecutive starts.

It would indicate to me he's the striker getting the most minutes on the pitch, by a very long way.

Little doubt Pitman would have scored more than 4 goals from 16 consecutive starts.

Well said noggers,pitman would have a load more no doubt about that.

But he's getting the minutes because he's the striker most suited to the formation and style we are playing.

I cannot believe so many people on here honestly believe the only thing a striker should do is score goals. Thankfully DM can also see work rate and the ability to hold the ball and bring other people into the game is important.

By the way, I am a big fan of Pitman and would love it if we played both up front, but at the moment, we have a settled team, unbeaten in 3, playing better football than we've seen in about 5 years, so apart from the odd tactical change, the team and formation should stay the same.

If our game plan was to get Albert and YB to the byline and fizz balls in around the 6 yard line I am sure Pitman would be starting, but its based on pressing and attacking with pace and in a direct way, something that Maynard is much better at.

You can't really compare Maynard and Pitman as strikers as they both have different qualities. Maynard has great work rate pace skill, Pitman isn't so fast but can create chances for others score from all sorts of angles and can play up top or on the left. Maynard had a great game as did Pitman in different ways. Maynard played well in both 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 and pitman did well with maynard on the left and up top by himself. I do feel a little sorry for Pitman not starting but whilst maynard is here it would be foolish not to start him. Would prefer to see us start 4-4-2 next home game though.

I'd start Pitman over Maynard, I reckon Pitman is a better finisher than Maynard but doesn't run around as much, but with a 5 man midfield, they should do the running.

At the end of the day, if Pitman hands in a transfer request as some were saying before, that really does leave us in trouble with Maynard certain to be leaving in Summer as well. I say Pitman should be starting more games especially over a struggling Maynard.

I can see both sides of this argument, but the longer the uncertainty about Maynards future at the club drags on, then at some stage the management need to make a decision one way or another. Do they continue playing a guy who may or may not be here next season or do they play the guy destined to be his replacement and more than likely extremely pissed off about playing second fiddle to a guy who doesn't seem to want to commit to the club?.

Younger viewes might not have heard of him but there was a famous world cup winning Garman striker called Gerd Muller. He was a short and stocky guy (low centre of gravity) and didn't do very mutch at all except score goals, yep just score goals and uncanny nack to be in the right place at the right time. John Ateyo is quoted as saying "scoring goals is a game within a game". Never underestimate the importance of being just a goal scorer.

But he's getting the minutes because he's the striker most suited to the formation and style we are playing.

I cannot believe so many people on here honestly believe the only thing a striker should do is score goals. Thankfully DM can also see work rate and the ability to hold the ball and bring other people into the game is important.

By the way, I am a big fan of Pitman and would love it if we played both up front, but at the moment, we have a settled team, unbeaten in 3, playing better football than we've seen in about 5 years, so apart from the odd tactical change, the team and formation should stay the same.

Maynard assuredly has his strengths but Pitman is clearly superior to Maynard when it comes to bringing other players into the game. He is also better at finding space, and consistently getting into dangerous areas in the box.

My over riding concern with our striker situation is not Nicky Maynard, but whether Pitman feels he is getting enough time on the pitch to progress his career at AG.

I wonder how many strikers who scored 13 Championship goals last season have made so few starts this one?

I'm sure other Championship clubs are monitoring Pitman's situation, and the player himself will be aware he'd be a regular starter at many of them.

Maynard assuredly has his strengths but Pitman is clearly superior to Maynard when it comes to bringing other players into the game. He is also better at finding space, and consistently getting into dangerous areas in the box.

My over riding concern with our striker situation is not Nicky Maynard, but whether Pitman feels he is getting enough time on the pitch to progress his career at AG.

I wonder how many strikers who scored 13 Championship goals last season have made so few starts this one?

I'm sure other Championship clubs are monitoring Pitman's situation, and the player himself will be aware he'd be a regular starter at many of them.

Del alluded to this point in his post match interview "Brett has been frustrated [not playing] and he can't hide that but I was delighted with him. When you get Brett on the pitch he's a goal threat".

Pitman v Maynard is an endless debate but the difference imo is simply pace. Maynard is quicker and that's why he gets the nod ahead of Pitman.

Personally I reckon Pitman offers a greater goal threat and his all round game is as good if not better than Maynard's. Just his lack of real pace lets him down. That said lots of top strikers didn't have pace. Sheringham and Shearer for example, Van Persie isn't lightening either, nor is Drogba. In the Championship Lambert at Southampton has the pace of a carthorse but he still scores loads of goals.

Pitman v Maynard is an endless debate but the difference imo is simply pace. Maynard is quicker and that's why he gets the nod ahead of Pitman.

Personally I reckon Pitman offers a greater goal threat and his all round game is as good if not better than Maynard's. Just his lack of real pace lets him down. That said lots of top strikers didn't have pace. Sheringham and Shearer for example, Van Persie isn't lightening either, nor is Drogba. In the Championship Lambert at Southampton has the pace of a carthorse but he still scores loads of goals.

Interesting you choose this player to compare pitman with , he scores lots and also provides lots of goals too . Pitman has a great pass on him and shooting boots, I think shows pitman can fit into this league but possibly in a 4-4-1-1 away just behind maynard and then home 4-4-2. But I think for the moment it's important to build on this good run and if this means a more defensive 5 man midfield away from home then so be it.

Not if he was asked to play the same role as Maynard during that time.

I think we'll ultimately see both on the pitch - once the team is more consistent and has fully regained confidence, and we have a midfield that doesn't get over run, and the defending is up to scratch.

Whether that's a variation of 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 I have no idea, but it makes sense to have two excellent goal scorers on the pitch at the same time if the rest of the team can play to their strengths.

I hope you're right, and sooner rather than later.

Although Maynard has notched several exceptional goals he has also failed to score numerous 'easier' chances this season that I would have fully expected Pitman to take.

The question I suppose is whether the team would have created these same chances in a slightly different formation that accommodated Pitman in the first place.

When it comes to 'two excellent goalscorers' then to my mind as a pure goalscorer Pitman is the more accomplished of the two as he has an ability to find space in dangerous positions in the box which Maynard often can't, or fails to score from when he does.

Not really the case is it. The team want to win and Maynard done his bit yesterday in a overall good team performance. Just because he didn't score, it doesn't mean he isn't that good.

I do very much like pitman though, however it is good to know we do have some strength in depth!

Not really the case is it. The team want to win and Maynard done his bit yesterday in a overall good team performance. Just because he didn't score, it doesn't mean he isn't that good.

I do very much like pitman though, however it is good to know we do have some strength in depth!

I doubt that many people have a problem with what you say. That isn't the problem, the problem is how much longer is Pitman going to be prepared to play second fiddle to a guy who has shown absolutely no intention whatsoever to commit to the club and looks to all intents and purposes to be on his bike at the first SUITABLE offer.

I doubt that many people have a problem with what you say. That isn't the problem, the problem is how much longer is Pitman going to be prepared to play second fiddle to a guy who has shown absolutely no intention whatsoever to commit to the club and looks to all intents and purposes to be on his bike at the first SUITABLE offer.

That is a problem and I think the solution might be to play both - Pitman does exceptionally well as a slightly withdrawn striker because he has great touch and vision (not to mention being surprisingly good in the air), he could play in the hole without changing our shape too much IMO - certainly at home. This would allow Maynard to play on the shoulder and I think because Pitman would be difficult to pick up in that gap both would get goals.

That is a problem and I think the solution might be to play both - Pitman does exceptionally well as a slightly withdrawn striker because he has great touch and vision (not to mention being surprisingly good in the air), he could play in the hole without changing our shape too much IMO - certainly at home. This would allow Maynard to play on the shoulder and I think because Pitman would be difficult to pick up in that gap both would get goals.

I agree once the midfield is fully sorted and balanced (which is happening game by game) I hope this might happen, the good news is Mcinnes is obviously aware of the situation and hopefully we are fast approaching the point where Maynard has to make a decision once and for all, I don't think that this particular situation should be allowed to fester on past the next transfer window.

Archived