IGNORED

Rare Bit Of Footage...

spudski

Good bit of footage this...

Thanks for the heads up on this , brings back great memories.

My first game at the 'gate' was just prior to this in the 72/73 season , second goal by Fulham was superb.

Funny how they were calling us BRISTOL , even back then................

And a final thought that the nucleus of the BCFC team featured was to play together for a very long time , a feature that you certainly don't see in football these days !!!

My first game at the 'gate' was just prior to this in the 72/73 season , second goal by Fulham was superb.

And a final thought that the nucleus of the BCFC team featured was to play together for a very long time , a feature that you certainly don't see in football these days !!!

And we played a lot better than how I remember it. I think as I was so young, we lost therefor we was sh1t .

A few missing links, Whitehead, Cheesley and Jimmy Mann but the team was coming together nicely.

Len Bond in goal for Cashley was a rarity, although I remember seeing him stepping in later at Villa in the First Division as well.

I wasn't at this game although I went to Craven Cottage a couple of times after this in the seasons before we went up - including the match where the police went mad and threw out/arrested about 70 City fans from the open end - this one I was glued to the radio at home anxiously waiting for Herbie Gillam's 20 minute updates.yes.gif

Forgotten that Met Pol debacle, I was on the back page of the EP after I wrote in complaining about the farcical treatment handed out!

I remember the furore from City fans in the EP, although I'm not sure they were particularly sympathetic even then.

I was right at the top of the open end, with the Cottage to our right, and the police were just constantly dragging City fans off for no apparent reason. Literally by the dozen, never seen anything like it.

Wasn't it meant to be something to do with the police 'getting revenge' for City fans being involved in trouble in London earlier that season?

Another reason for anyone going to Millwall to be on their guard.

I remember the furore from City fans in the EP, although I'm not sure they were particularly sympathetic even then.

I was right at the top of the open end, with the Cottage to our right, and the police were just constantly dragging City fans off for no apparent reason. Literally by the dozen, never seen anything like it.

Wasn't it meant to be something to do with the police 'getting revenge' for City fans being involved in trouble in London earlier that season?

Another reason for anyone going to Millwall to be on their guard.

One of the guys who got frogmarched out was a curate/vicar type person, it was totally indiscriminate. I think it was because there was about 3k City there and they had smashed up some pubs in Hammersmith, so it was revenge time, you litteraly ran the gauntlet if you strated singing!

One of the guys who got frogmarched out was a curate/vicar type person, it was totally indiscriminate. I think it was because there was about 3k City there and they had smashed up some pubs in Hammersmith, so it was revenge time, you litteraly ran the gauntlet if you strated singing!

Never heard about the pubs thing before but that might explain it.

Hell of a lot of City fans there though - I went up to London early with some mates from school and we were in the road outside the station about 11 am when a train pulled in, and I'll never forget the massive roar from inside:

chant6ez.gifBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSTTOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLchant6ez.gif

Absolutely fantastic racket, just an unbelievable noise from the invading Red Army.yes.gif

Was up there that day, a coachload of lads and some girls from Hartcliffe, was also there the previous season when we lost 5-1.

I recall a place called Flanagans being done by City around '72 ish.

The above my favourite youtube collage - poignant and full of tremendous memories. ...

Yeah I look at this from time-to-time.

I can remember about 90% of it from being at the game and those I don't, I'm pretty damn sure I was there!

Great video, just lacking Jimmy Mann against Forest and Norman Hunters goal/boot flying incident at home to Leeds....nevertheless bloody superb!!

Donnie Gillies obviously featured heavily, does anyone remember the goal he scored against Albion in Div1...long ball and he went up in the air with the keeper who knocked him out a fraction of a second after he headed the ball to score!

:winner_third_h4h:

I still feel sad for Paul Cheesley, he was on the brink of making it into the England squad.

Thanks for posting those clips, brought back some great memmories

Cheese making the England squad, and indeed becoming a regular starter, is not far fetched at all Hank.

If you think back to the Arsenal game he dominated their defence to such an extent he had already headed against the bar and the post with 2 superb towering headers before that fantastically timed leap to bury the ball powerfully in their net.

He was unstoppable that day and Arsenal's new record signing Malcolm MacDonald, an England starter at the time, was a very pale shadow in comparison.

Cheese had gone from an unpromising and ungainly beginning at City to become a thoroughbred striker in just a couple of seasons, was still young at 23, and there is no doubt he would have got better and better.

He would have terrorised First Division defences - many of which were far weaker than Arsenal's - and completely changed City's top flight experience by either leading us to far more success, or indeed by attracting an offer from one of the big boys which would probably have surpassed MacDonald's record £333,333 and given City real spending power to improve the squad.

For City to lose him so early was indeed incredibly sad not only for the player but also every City supporter who watched his remarkable progress and realised what a truly outstanding player he was on the verge of becoming.

I'd say it's not only Bristol City fans who lost out hugely following that career ending collision with Shilton and Pejic, but undoubtedly England fans too.sad.gif

Well put Nogbad. I was there in the Open End that night v Stoke and City were attacking that end, and in the 13 mins or so before the injury he was terrorising their defence. Every time a ball was played in they looked very uncomfortable. They certainly coped a lot better once he went off. Little did I know at the time I was effectively witnessing the end of his career.

Archived