IGNORED

Club V Country

MC RISK77

gladly, cuz all the great england managers have won so much at club and international level...sir alf ramsey apart not really a world class english manager who has done it on world and club level

I'm not sure any of them have struggled to muster a draw against a country of 600,000 people in the past, but hey, I've had my Capello argument on another thread recently. As I said, you are more than welcome to take him. :innocent06:

I'm not sure any of them have struggled to muster a draw against a country of 600,000 people in the past, but hey, I've had my Capello argument on another thread recently. As I said, you are more than welcome to take him. :innocent06:

ha ha nice one, like your style, i prefer to be proud of 4 world cups and a euro

always remember graham taylors team conceding after 7 secs v san marino...think that was a low point

Seems I'm the only one, but I absolutely love the England team. Don't care who's playing, or who the opponent is, I'll be watching and hoping for an England win. But then, I'm just ridiculously passionate about football at all levels.

I wouldn't say I love them. But I will always watch them if on.

I would like to see us drop the 'old guard' like Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard etc and start assembling a decent side over the next couple of years though. Don't think that will happen unless Capello leaves though.

Capello is one of the top 5 managers in the world make no doubts about that, his record would suggest in terms of success he is in top 3.....as a very proud italian i just feel it comes down to the fact he is managing another teams country, and there must be difficulties in doing this.....i love england as my second nation but if capello was manager of italy then they will win something...

just for record we have won 4 world cups and 1 euro champs....how do england stack up??

it comes down to capello having awful tools to work with, pace and power will get found out by technique at the top level. I am not sure capello realised how technically poor we were. For a so called first world footballing nation we have 3rd world technique. No coach in the world could polish this English turd! Our whole game from grass roots up needs overhauling and moving on from the eighties.

Club over country any day. I haven't felt as passionately about watching England since Euro 96 (might be because we was at home) but we had the likes of Shearer, Pearce Gazza etc. who really played like they were proud to wear the famous white shirt.

As said in previous posts the sooner we get rid of the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard and replace them with players like Jones, Wilshere, Cleverley who are young and hungry then we're never going to compete at major tournaments. We need to rebuild a team with younger players who can play and gel together for years to come like the Spanish did a few years back.

Does anyone actually care about Internationals anymore? Personally i cant stand wkds without any club football, and cant remember the last friendly I watched or even a qualifier that i have taken any interest in. Think it killed it for me at the end of the 2010 world cup seeing a load of english under performers smoking cigars a couple of hours after getting demolished by the Germans.

Couldn't agree more. Last world cup was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and since the Torres transfer (50 million quid when thousands are losing their jobs!) I've not watched a Premier League game unless it's on down the pub! Won't be bothered about the Premier League until City are in it and will only watch England in the big games... Happy to watch Ghana though! :city:

used to love England games. But since they did not qualify for Euro 08, the love for it just aint there any more, not sure why. it just went.

New Wembley's atmosphere does not help. been there lots of times, lovely ground, but England games just dont drum up the atmosphere that the old Wembley did.

And capello's tactics are god awful, not getting into the arguement of him cuz he's only managed good established teams.

I will still watch the tournaments but not friendlys. I will watch the spain game though, get Xavi, Iniesta & co teach them a lesson into how to play the game properly.

Sums it up when Joe Hart says David Silva is the best player in the prem at the moment (which he may well be, quality player), yet he does not make the Spanish first 11.

it comes down to capello having awful tools to work with, pace and power will get found out by technique at the top level. I am not sure capello realised how technically poor we were. For a so called first world footballing nation we have 3rd world technique. No coach in the world could polish this English turd! Our whole game from grass roots up needs overhauling and moving on from the eighties.

I don't think the idea of England's players bein all about pace and power is necessarily true, though successive England managers have set them up that way. We have a number of technically gifted players at the minute- Wilshere, Young, Rooney, Adam Johnson are all players with the footballing gifts to hurt the big teams but they're hamstrung by a) the football played in the Premier League and b) by the high tempo, pressing game England always play. I personally think it's down to arrogance that we try and play an intricate passing game high up te field when really we need to be compact, defensively solid counter-punchers. Italy used to be successful doing it, Brazil's famous attacking full backs were born out of it and it uses England's beat assets in the best way. I agree though that football needs an overhaul in this country, I think with the new national football centre in Burton and this misguided attempt to pick clean the academies of lower league teams is a move towards a more European model. We should all remember, until 4 or 5 years ago, Spain were laughing stocks in many respect, unable to perform major tournaments despite the success of their domestic teams. Now look at them

used to love England games. But since they did not qualify for Euro 08, the love for it just aint there any more, not sure why. it just went.

New Wembley's atmosphere does not help. been there lots of times, lovely ground, but England games just dont drum up the atmosphere that the old Wembley did.

And capello's tactics are god awful, not getting into the arguement of him cuz he's only managed good established teams.

I will still watch the tournaments but not friendlys. I will watch the spain game though, get Xavi, Iniesta & co teach them a lesson into how to play the game properly.

Sums it up when Joe Hart says David Silva is the best player in the prem at the moment (which he may well be, quality player), yet he does not make the Spanish first 11.

Really? Think you'll find he is.

Gone a bit quiet on this thread since we beat the World Champions...

I hate summers when it's not the Euro's or World Cup meeting in the pub like 2002 6.30am have a Thatchers with your breakfast, how fans don't care about England i never understand, go away to a tournament you will have the best laugh of your life, yes if a choice i would choose City over England but Cricket/Rugby what ever we are England and the players love playing for there nation if anyone thinks they don't they are deluded.

P.S, Sell out at Wembley and could of sold the game out twice over for this friendly.

Really? Think you'll find he is.

Gone a bit quiet on this thread since we beat the World Champions...

he only played in half of their qualifyers for Euro 2012.

In the last world cup, he started the first match and played for about 5 mins vs germany. nothing else.

So, i think you'll find he aint selected for the starting 11 as many times as people think. Many sub appearances though.

Love City.....Love England.....couldn't choose between the 2.

So sad that so many people couldn't care less about England games anymore......I always thought that kind of thinking was confined to Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc fans.

I'll follow England like a follow city, expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when we do well.

Following England has been the same since the early 80's different players same style, playing football in a style of an era long gone. our game is based on pace and power, always has done. unfortunatey International football bypassed that style years ago. We produce players who can run, batter and beat up people, but do not encourage skill or technique, we are the Wimbeldon of the International world, lots of Huff and puff, play averagely or poorly, scrape through to the 2nd round or quarter finals, draw a good team, on the face of it put in a good battling performance where we create a few chances, then blow it.

If we are happy to watch this dated uninspiring football then fair enough. But my own personal belief we need a shake up of how players are taught from school age up, more emphasis on skill and technique. Alternatively we carry on the way we are going and eventually watch our International teams die or become something like Belgium in terms of international stature (Saying that they have some cracking young players coming through, so they could be over taking us soon).

I guess this is the time we ask ourselves do we weaken our league in the short term for long term international and national teams, or is our type of football so ingrained that we would rather keep playing it.

Personally I would prefer to see more technically gifted players on display, but i know many others prefer our all action style of football over the slower paced European game.

In terms of England winning the World cup, or City winning the European cup, I go for England. The feeling of your national team winning something and the euphoria that brings to the whole nation outshines and success city have had. I never felt so passionate about a game than I did for England Vs Germany in 1990, all the highs and lows I have had watching City could not top te excitement and desolation I felt after that game.

Love City.....Love England.....couldn't choose between the 2.

So sad that so many people couldn't care less about England games anymore......I always thought that kind of thinking was confined to Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc fans.

Don't think it's sad at all to be completely disillusioned by the actions on and off the field of the so called Golden Generation.

I watched the game and to be honest had we not got a goal from a set piece it would have been lamented as an embarrassing performance, The gulf in class (despite the result) was huge. Thankfully Terry was dropped and Lescott was absolutely immense. I hope that the performance/result doesn't cloud over the huge huge problems in English football.

These problems are completely embodied in the adulation Scott Parker has received in the Press since the win. I will happily admit that defensively he is an outstanding player, However he is about as much use going forward and at retaining the football as Marvin "Carthorse" Elliot. He was absolutely atrocious in possession of the ball against Spain, particularly in the first half. I felt so sorry for Darren Bent (Who I don't particularly rate) feeding off the awful scraps of an immobile old man, A centre half played out of position and a bloke who couldn't pass to a team mate without completely stopping the attacking flow of the game if you paid him.

However, Second half I was delighted to see the impact of Rodwell and Welbeck. Both showed promise and a desire to run the channels, which is the only way to win games against Spain. Exploiting the gaps left when they flood forward is a huge deal and with Wilshere, Gerrard and Ashley Young to come back in we could have something resembling a midfield come the Euro's.

A lot of these players aren't going to represent us again following the Euro's, so why bother taking them? If I was to select a side for the Euro's it might not necessarily be the guys with the biggest reputation that went.

I'd love to see something like this come the first game of the groups.

GK: Hart

RB: Walker

CB: Jagielka/Cahill

CB: Lescott

LB: Cole

Holding Midfield: Wilshere

Box to Box: Gerrard

B2B: Rodwell

RW: Theo

ST: Welbeck/Carroll/Bent

LW: Young

A lot of these players aren't going to represent us again following the Euro's, so why bother taking them? If I was to select a side for the Euro's it might not necessarily be the guys with the biggest reputation that went.

That argument doesn't really make sense to me, you take your best squad to a tournament. You could argue that certain players aren't part of England's best squad, but not to pick them because they're not going to play much after, regardless of ability is crazy talk. Zinedine Zidane? France shouldn't have picked him for the 2006 WC because he'd already announced his retirement... Oh wait, he won the Golden ball.

Don't think it's sad at all to be completely disillusioned by the actions on and off the field of the so called Golden Generation.

I watched the game and to be honest had we not got a goal from a set piece it would have been lamented as an embarrassing performance, The gulf in class (despite the result) was huge. Thankfully Terry was dropped and Lescott was absolutely immense. I hope that the performance/result doesn't cloud over the huge huge problems in English football.

These problems are completely embodied in the adulation Scott Parker has received in the Press since the win. I will happily admit that defensively he is an outstanding player, However he is about as much use going forward and at retaining the football as Marvin "Carthorse" Elliot. He was absolutely atrocious in possession of the ball against Spain, particularly in the first half. I felt so sorry for Darren Bent (Who I don't particularly rate) feeding off the awful scraps of an immobile old man, A centre half played out of position and a bloke who couldn't pass to a team mate without completely stopping the attacking flow of the game if you paid him.

However, Second half I was delighted to see the impact of Rodwell and Welbeck. Both showed promise and a desire to run the channels, which is the only way to win games against Spain. Exploiting the gaps left when they flood forward is a huge deal and with Wilshere, Gerrard and Ashley Young to come back in we could have something resembling a midfield come the Euro's.

That side would get hammered.

Awarding the 2022 world cup to Qatar summed up perfectly everything that is wrong with football for me. I haven't taken an interest in an international match since. I didn't even realise we were playing Spain until I turned on Sky Sports news and saw a score update. I can't remember the last time i watched the Premier League either come to that.

I love football be it watching or playing so as a fan of the sport I naturally watch when there is a match on unless I have something more sociable going on.

The world is ruled by money and every ****er is trying to get their share of the action, it's not just football it every where you go and yes it's wrong and I hate it as much as the next man, but I still love the sport of football and can't really understand why you'd stop watching football because of non sporting issues.

City always before England.

I don't disagree with you about the performance or the antics of the as you put it golden generation. However like Bristol City I support England through thick and thin. I might not like who is playing for them but as with Bristol City I still want them to win with a passion because I love England. You may not think that fans not giving a **** about England anymore isn't sad and you're entitled to your opinion. I personally think it is a sad sad situation when fans are turning their back on the country because they don't like who plays for them. I would be gutted if people did the same with City

Archived