IGNORED

Brendan Rogers...

spudski

...The 'Total Football' connection...from Cruyff, the Dutch and the Spanish and now Swansea. We all saw it last year, when they annialated us...and now we can see it again this year. It's all about possession and passing...keeping the ball.

Look at all our Match report Stats, under Milley, and you will see approx 95% of our games, we had the least possession percentage during matches.

Rogers quoted on the weekend... Their 'Swanselona' nickname is well earned, for Rodgers likes Spain and its football so much that he learned the language in his spare time. 'My biggest influence has been Spanish and Dutch football, that Total Football idea,' he says. 'Barcelona have been doing it for years, since Johan Cruyff was coach.'

Perhaps inevitably, the tale returns to his father. 'He loved Brazilian sides. He loved gifted players and I suppose when you're brought up in that environment, you swing more towards that type. He was always keen for me to be a creator and a technician, so that was the influence for me.

'The British type of football never suited me as a player. It was very much smash it up the pitch and play the percentages. The only percentage I was interested in was possession and I didn't think it was rocket science. If we have the ball, you can't score, no matter how big or strong you are. I've always worked off that.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2060748/How-Brendan-Rodgers-turned-Swansea-talk-Premier-League.html#ixzz1diJ8PMRF

Look at their Stats shown in that article too...amazing.

Just goes to show you don't have to go down the 'Traditional' British way of football to get out of the Championship and be successful. Did it on less players wages than us also.

Hopefully our New manager will have similar ideas.

...The 'Total Football' connection...from Cruyff, the Dutch and the Spanish and now Swansea. We all saw it last year, when they annialated us...and now we can see it again this year. It's all about possession and passing...keeping the ball.

Look at all our Match report Stats, under Milley, and you will see approx 95% of our games, we had the least possession percentage during matches.

Rogers quoted on the weekend... Their 'Swanselona' nickname is well earned, for Rodgers likes Spain and its football so much that he learned the language in his spare time. 'My biggest influence has been Spanish and Dutch football, that Total Football idea,' he says. 'Barcelona have been doing it for years, since Johan Cruyff was coach.'

Perhaps inevitably, the tale returns to his father. 'He loved Brazilian sides. He loved gifted players and I suppose when you're brought up in that environment, you swing more towards that type. He was always keen for me to be a creator and a technician, so that was the influence for me.

'The British type of football never suited me as a player. It was very much smash it up the pitch and play the percentages. The only percentage I was interested in was possession and I didn't think it was rocket science. If we have the ball, you can't score, no matter how big or strong you are. I've always worked off that.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2060748/How-Brendan-Rodgers-turned-Swansea-talk-Premier-League.html#ixzz1diJ8PMRF

Look at their Stats shown in that article too...amazing.

Just goes to show you don't have to go down the 'Traditional' British way of football to get out of the Championship and be successful. Did it on less players wages than us also.

Hopefully our New manager will have similar ideas.

It is how i would like us to play. I like the continental style of play, I know the slowish pace of things are not everyone's cup of tea, but as I said on the Club/Country thread it is the only way I see us as a nation starting to compete on the world stage again.

He is hoping there are more English/Irish/Scots/Welsh managers with the same footballing mentality as Brendon

Rodgers has done very well to maintain the style of football / tactics implemented by Paolo Sousa. He certainly has a certain decent squad of players at his disposal but he strikes me as a very good man manager. Not sure how patient fans at a club like ours for example would be with his approach, it would take considerably longer to yield the same results I think.

Not wishing to knock Rogers, but the Swanselona style was instigated back in 2006/7 when Roberto Martinez took the helm and was carried on by Paolo Sousa. Methinks Rogers is taking a lot of credit for the years of preparation that has gone into the Swansea style of play. He's done very well and continued the good work, and added some crucial signings like Sinclair & Britton (who was already a Swans legend anyway), but the foundations were very much laid down by Martinez. Credit where credit is due I think.

Rodgers has done very well to maintain the style of football / tactics implemented by Paolo Sousa. He certainly has a certain decent squad of players at his disposal but he strikes me as a very good man manager. Not sure how patient fans at a club like ours for example would be with his approach, it would take considerably longer to yield the same results I think.

Sousa in turn has done well to implement Martinez's tactics.

Great to watch, Spain/Barcelona have change the way Football should be played, on the floor, small players can be great players, too small to be a footballer is still said in youth football in England, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa as changed peoples thinking, the special one Jose, he is not special the Barca manager has changed the game of football for ever, in his training drills if you lose the the ball get it back in 30 seconds and chase like a pack of wolfs, any player who is good can't pick a pass when there are three players baring down on you.

Not wishing to knock Rogers, but the Swanselona style was instigated back in 2006/7 when Roberto Martinez took the helm and was carried on by Paolo Sousa. Methinks Rogers is taking a lot of credit for the years of preparation that has gone into the Swansea style of play. He's done very well and continued the good work, and added some crucial signings like Sinclair & Britton (who was already a Swans legend anyway), but the foundations were very much laid down by Martinez. Credit where credit is due I think.

Harry...I've spoken many times on the forum about Swansea and their set up from when Martinez and Sousa were at their Club. Many fans thought that with Rodgers taking over, that he would implement a 'British' ethos. I was 'in a round about way' showing through the article, that Swansea continue to go down that 'Continental' route of passing football, and keeping possession, because Rogers has been massively influenced by that type of football, and believes that's how football should be played.

A bit of research and you will find he is very close and highly regarded by Mourinho.

At the end of the day, this style of football and ethos goes right back to Johan Cruyff and Ajax and Rinus Mikels and then his days at Barcelona. Where Cruff concentrated more on short passing and Movement, which is now called Tiki Taka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki-taka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football

I've always been a fan of Cruyff and the Dutch side of the 70's. When he played at Barcelona it was interesting to see how things have developed since.

That imho, is the way football should be played. Just wish we saw more of it on our shores.

The only thing that annoys me is when people say it's slow. Watch the game at first hand, and you will see it's far from slow. Especially the movement off the ball.

So apologies if i didn't make myself clear at the start.

Harry...I've spoken many times on the forum about Swansea and their set up from when Martinez and Sousa were at their Club. Many fans thought that with Rodgers taking over, that he would implement a 'British' ethos. I was 'in a round about way' showing through the article, that Swansea continue to go down that 'Continental' route of passing football, and keeping possession, because Rogers has been massively influenced by that type of football, and believes that's how football should be played.

A bit of research and you will find he is very close and highly regarded by Mourinho.

At the end of the day, this style of football and ethos goes right back to Johan Cruyff and Ajax and Rinus Mikels and then his days at Barcelona. Where Cruff concentrated more on short passing and Movement, which is now called Tiki Taka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki-taka

http://en.wikipedia..../Total_Football

I've always been a fan of Cruyff and the Dutch side of the 70's. When he played at Barcelona it was interesting to see how things have developed since.

That imho, is the way football should be played. Just wish we saw more of it on our shores.

The only thing that annoys me is when people say it's slow. Watch the game at first hand, and you will see it's far from slow. Especially the movement off the ball.

The most noticeable aspect of Barcelona and Spain's style is the way they close down the very second they lose the ball. Unbelievable really.

I would say however that there is no "way football should be played". Football is a game built around tactics and the ever changing philosophies of managers. Someday soon a style of play will come about that is more successful than the "Spanish" it wasn't that long ago that 4-4-2 was a huge innovation in football!

I rememeber when Britton played against us in the first round of the League Cup in 2003 and he was absolutely amazing. They were still in League 2 at the time, but that was one of the best individual performances I've seen from an opposition player at Ashton Gate. Even Danny Wilson, who doesn't exactly like going over the top, said something like 'the kid was a bit special' afterwards. Always kept a close eye on him since then and it speaks volume of firstly what most managers look for in a player (speed, strength etc) and the quality of supposed 'scouts' that it has taken him eight seasons to get a chance to play in the Premier League.

Swansea's Chairman has played a big part in this too. He employed Martinez with a view to playing this style of football and now wants it carried on. Rogers wouldn't have got the job unless he was signed up to continuing the trend set by Martinez and Sousa. Rogers pretty much had all the players in place to play the 'Spanish way' as well.

As for McInnes, he has been clear that for the time being he will be playing a style of football that best suits the players we have and to get us results. That's unlikely to yield attractive football in the short term, but at St Johnstone I think he did favour players who could get the ball down and pass it so the future may be more promising...would perhaps hold fire on any expectations of 'total football' but let's wait and see I guess.

I was under the impression the Sousa almost derailed the whole plan by turning them into the most boring team in the country!

They scored very few, conceeded even fewer and were in a bit of a slump before he left and it became the free flowing attacking football they produce today. Whilst also being half tidy defensively.

Sousa was a great player - but has done very little to shout about in his management positions in England.

Deffo would not have wanted Sousa here!

I agree, he has inherited a decent footballing team, he did not do quite as well at reading.

I agree, he has inherited a decent footballing team, he did not do quite as well at reading.

Rodgers took over from Coppell at Reading, and i think it's fair to say from our own experience, that Coppell seems to be the only one able to work only with 'his' type of player.

He was Academy coach at Reading for years, and for Mourinho to ask him to join him and be youth and reserve team manager at Chelsea, then he must have something about him.

Obviously Martinez and Sousa set the foundations, remember Sousa only lost 13 games, so the defence was set up, it was just a bit of tweaking to get them scoring again.

Hopefully, once we get secured in this League we will be able to start playing some decent passing football.

I just hope we don't get lumbered with a load of Scots.

Hey Spudski. No worries fella, there was no misunderstanding, I'm totally with you, and Rodgers is doing a great job and is highly respected. I just wanted to point out that in the linked article, there seems to be a lack of acknowledgement of the tremendous hard work and foundation laid by Martinez & Sousa. I don't like people taking all the credit without highlighting the prior achievements. Rodgers would do well to remember what Martinez put in place.

Likewise, the current Barca team are rightly taking tremendous plaudits, and Guardiola seemingly gets an awful lot of credit. However, as you rightly point out, it was Cruyff who laid the foundations of this amazing Barca team. He put in place the comprehensive youth system which picked up the likes of Xavi and Iniesta and turned them into greats. Louis Van Gaal and Frank Rijkaard continued these philosophies and Guardiola is now picking up all the credit. Again, not disrespecting what Guardiola has brought to the team (the pressing stye is incredible), but it has to be acknowledged that Cruyff is the architect.

Rodgers took over from Coppell at Reading, and i think it's fair to say from our own experience, that Coppell seems to be the only one able to work only with 'his' type of player.

He was Academy coach at Reading for years, and for Mourinho to ask him to join him and be youth and reserve team manager at Chelsea, then he must have something about him.

Obviously Martinez and Sousa set the foundations, remember Sousa only lost 13 games, so the defence was set up, it was just a bit of tweaking to get them scoring again.

Hopefully, once we get secured in this League we will be able to start playing some decent passing football.

I just hope we don't get lumbered with a load of Scots.

Nationality of the players is not the issue, the quality of coaching is.

I'm glad Spudski has raised this becuase it is the way forward in my view, I was previllaged to see the best side in the world last Saturday and it was a joy. Yes the old skool style of gusto and endevour won the day that evening (pleased to say as an Englishman) but long term we have to develop the young players to encapsulate technique as well as the physical attributes that have been the hall mark of the English style.

Swansea certianly are showing the way domesticaly, closer to home City has improved with a change of emphasis on how we play and long may it continue. It really does worry me the longer that dinosaur Pulis is succesful at Stoke. As its that primitive style of play that has a degree of success domesticaly but on the wider stage will not improve our fortunes internationaly or for that matter stifle the devopment of quality Bristish based players. Which instead are replaced with pan global talent to improve the general quality of our top flight football in England.

Nothing against Scots personally, but lets be honest since the 70's and 80's, there hasn't been many decent Scottish players.

Strachan tried it at 'Boro and failed miserably. Scottish football in general is dire. Yes, if we can pick up a few players that have promise then all well and good.

But i would be dissapointed if our new manger brought in a majority of Scottish players, just because he know's a few.

We need to bring in players that are good for us, regardless of Nationality.

Hopefully Delboy will have a wide network of contacts and knowledge about players.

I would be worried if he didn't.

Nationality of the players is not the issue, the quality of coaching is.

I'm glad Spudski has raised this becuase it is the way forward in my view, I was previllaged to see the best side in the world last Saturday and it was a joy. Yes the old skool style of gusto and endevour won the day that evening (pleased to say as an Englishman) but long term we have to develop the young players to encapsulate technique as well as the physical attributes that have been the hall mark of the English style.

Swansea certianly are showing the way domesticaly, closer to home City has improved with a change of emphasis on how we play and long may it continue. It really does worry me the longer that dinosaur Pulis is succesful at Stoke. As its that primitive style of play that has a degree of success domesticaly but on the wider stage will not improve our fortunes internationaly or for that matter stifle the devopment of quality Bristish based players. Which instead are replaced with pan global talent to improve the general quality of our top flight football in England.

I couldn't agree more...

The most noticeable aspect of Barcelona and Spain's style is the way they close down the very second they lose the ball. Unbelievable really.

I would say however that there is no "way football should be played". Football is a game built around tactics and the ever changing philosophies of managers. Someday soon a style of play will come about that is more successful than the "Spanish" it wasn't that long ago that 4-4-2 was a huge innovation in football!

As an interesting aside, perhaps more than surprising to most of us, is the fact that England adopted a 1-1-8 formation, yes that is correct, for the first ever international match which of course we all should know was versus the Scots. The final score?.....

0-0 rolleyes.gif

Sorry but I find the Spanish/barcelona way of playing a bit boring,a bit too slow, the last thing I want to watch is a tippy tappy 50 pass move which might end in a shot.I like the old forest way of playing under BC,quick counter attacking football,4,5 or 6 passes one end to the other.Last seasons game between arsenal and barcelona for instance,the most exciting part of the game was the arsenal goal,with about 4 or 5 passes,but as someone has stated there is no correct way to play just different ways.Any how each to thier own,its just not for me.

Sorry but I find the Spanish/barcelona way of playing a bit boring,a bit too slow, the last thing I want to watch is a tippy tappy 50 pass move which might end in a shot.I like the old forest way of playing under BC,quick counter attacking football,4,5 or 6 passes one end to the other.Last seasons game between arsenal and barcelona for instance,the most exciting part of the game was the arsenal goal,with about 4 or 5 passes,but as someone has stated there is no correct way to play just different ways.Any how each to thier own,its just not for me.

I wouldn't mind the English way if English players had decent technique to go with it. Unfortunately they way they are trained from a young age hinders us, we need to concentrate on technique and control first then incorporate it into the English way of playing.

If it would work, who knows, but it would be helluva lot better than watching a bunch of over paid wasters unable to control a bag of wind! Which I would have though would have been a necessity, especially at International level :)

I wouldn't mind the English way if English players had decent technique to go with it. Unfortunately they way they are trained from a young age hinders us, we need to concentrate on technique and control first then incorporate it into the English way of playing.

If it would work, who knows, but it would be helluva lot better than watching a bunch of over paid wasters unable to control a bag of wind! Which I would have though would have been a necessity, especially at International level :)

Agree what we need is a happy medium,but as they say first touch is every thing.

The problem we have in this Country is the amount of time our players actually train with the ball. Compared with our European Counterparts it's far lower.

In Europe after fitness training, working on tactics etc, players then spend time individually working on their technique. Ball control etc.

More often than not, players here are told to go home and rest. Most end up playing Golf or Computer games.

Beckham stands out, as an Englishman who spent time individually working on crossing, Freekicks and set pieces. And how good was he at those... It's not Rocket Science is it.

How often in this Country will you see players stood around in a circle passing the ball to one another, with two chasing in the middle. Apparantly that's working on technique and one touch football. We were doing that back in the 70's.

Archived