IGNORED

Gerry Gow

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

I thought that I'd already read this article somewhere a few weeks ago. Tthen I noticed it says "Published 12:52 30/09/11"//

Must have been posted elsewhere.

Yea i have just noticed the date, but there is a whole page write up on Gerry Gow in the mirror today so i just searched the online mirror for a link

What a fantastic read and totally correct, 'Gerry Gow will always be the king of the gate' for me, 'Viking warrior' I love that description.

What he said.

Better description than mine, which would be "total nutter".

Everybody, and I mean everybody in football was scared of him, but the guy could find a pass and score goals. With him, Merrick and Cheeseley as the spine of the side it was no wonder we started our Div 1 campaign so well.

Glory days!

What he said.

Better description than mine, which would be "total nutter".

Everybody, and I mean everybody in football was scared of him, but the guy could find a pass and score goals. With him, Merrick and Cheeseley as the spine of the side it was no wonder we started our Div 1 campaign so well.

Glory days!

I well remember Liam Brady spending an entire Saturday afternoon at Ashton Gate looking over his shoulder and trying to stay away from Gerry Gow. But as others have said the guy could play a bit as well.

We've never really replaced him. :whistle2:

This is today's article not the one from the OP.

Please take time to read this is great article about a real BCFC legend (not a player who played a few games and then pissed off). He is not bitter and twisted about the money now in the game, he is a proper footballer who loved the game (not the money), he is genuinely touched by the regard in which he is still held by not only BCFC fans but also Man City fans, he never shirked a tackle and deserves the press lines he so deserving of and I am sure real football fans everywhere would rather read about a real legend and true footballer than overpaid chavs like Tevez, Terry, Suarez or Poyet and yes he could play.

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle831641.html

This is today's article not the one from the OP.

Please take time to read this is great article about a real BCFC legend (not a player who played a few games and then pissed off). He is not bitter and twisted about the money now in the game, he is a proper footballer who loved the game (not the money), he is genuinely touched by the regard in which he is still held by not only BCFC fans but also Man City fans, he never shirked a tackle and deserves the press lines he so deserving of and I am sure real football fans everywhere would rather read about a real legend and true footballer than overpaid chavs like Tevez, Terry, Suarez or Poyet and yes he could play.

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle831641.html

Its a shame GGs career was pre-sky. I would be prepared to pay good money for a dvd of his career. The tackles, the defense splitting passes, shots, goals etc. Unfortunately, I doubt there is enough tv archive to fully appreciate his brilliance.

I would love to know what he thinks of todays game, with so called stars falling down when they break a nail and no tackling from behind, foreign players, alice bands etc

I remember standing in the enclosure at Anfield (surrounded by Liverpool fans) and Gerry scored a scorcher. Couldn't help myself had to shout YES!!. Not a good move Liverpool fans aren't all that friendly as they were made out!

I think it was our first season in the First Division. Think we drew 1 all

Great memories of a great player and team.

The man is a Bristol CIty legend,one of the best in my time watching city.

Special times back then.i would love a do with the side that went to the then top division.

Guaranteed a sell out.

At present we can only dream of those times that the bunch of players brought to the gate.

I remember standing in the enclosure at Anfield (surrounded by Liverpool fans) and Gerry scored a scorcher. Couldn't help myself had to shout YES!!. Not a good move Liverpool fans aren't all that friendly as they were made out!

I was there, Dalgliesh put them 1 up, best team in the land at the time, very unfriendly fans, a very uncomfortable journey back to Lime St. after the game quite frightening for us 4 14yr olds, travelled up free on the train with Kelloggs cornflakes tokens! i remember a few older City fans on the train on the way home with nothing on their feet as the scally scousers had nicked their DMs

I was in the middle of the Kop that day with a Liverpool supporting friend ( genuine Scouser) and was told beforehand I'd be fine as long as I didn't speak from start to finish.

Just before kick off a small group of City fans made themselves known ( you may have been one of them?) in the corner of the enclosure to our left right next to the Kop by singing, 'We all come from the West Country' or similar. It wasn't threatening or aggressive at all but immediately the whole Kop surged towards them angrily.

It was literally off your feet stuff, they were absolutely furious trying to get to the City fans, and being in the midst of them them I could see just how enraged they were.

I stayed very quiet indeed throughout, including Gow's wonder goal.

The most interesting thing about the day for me was their terrace culture. They had a sectioned off pen on one side of the Kop crammed with under 14's and my friend said it was traditional for young fans to start in there and stay for many years until they were strong enough to graduate into the pushing and shoving of the real Kop.

The other thing was throughout the match there was a steady stream of older teenagers climbing the central pillar and then walking across the connecting girder under the roof way above the massed fans below.

Looked incredibly dangerous, precarious, and stupid to me - not to mention brave - but apparently it was an accepted 'rites of passage' event for young Liverpool fans that was commonplace.

No CCTV to worry about then of course and no chance of police or stewards getting anywhere near them as the crowd was so packed and they were quickly swallowed up again by the cheering crowd when they made their way down.

Individually, in the pub, the fans were friendly, en masse on the Kop (and even more so on the 'Annie Road' End) they seemed as territorial and aggressive as any other fans at the time.

I seem to remember Joey Jones scored a long range scorcher as well, but maybe that was a different season.

Also while queuing outside the Kop I remember a huge roar and chant from inside for Peter Cormack as the teams warmed up, not a bad reception considering he was returning to Liverpool that day with City colours on.

Gow to Fear 1-1 and Ashton gate erupts just one memory among many of several great seasons when GG was at the peak of his powers - great player and as combative as any - including Norman "bites your legs".

Its been linked on here before but for those who may not have seen it a fair few Gow moments in the attached this:

Second season that was.

The first season we lost 2-1 after TR had put us one up (unheard of in those days) with a cracker!

Yes, if I remember rightly, in our first 3 seasons in the top flight our results against Liverpool were always even. First season they beat us 2-1 at Anfield, we beat them 2-1 at home. Next season 1-1 home and away, next season 1-0 defeat away 1-0 win at home (Jo Royle).

Not a bad record against probably the best team in Europe at the time.

Also, and I'm going from memory again here, didn't we do a North London double-double in our first season? Beating both Spurs and Arsenal home and away.

Great times.

I think i saw Gerry Gows debut at Ashton Gate. When he and the two Ritchie brothers played. It was a pre season friendly v Wovels. Gerry who was about 17 at the time, job was to mark the legend Derek Dougan. The Irish international and 1st division star. Gerry first tackle sent Dougan about three foot into the air. There after every tackle had bite. Derek a lovelly man spent most of the afternoon complaining to the ref. From that moment of the first tackle i became a Gerry Gow fan, and still am.

Archived