IGNORED

Tins Testimonial

Dave L

Here's something to take your minds off Sunday.

Apparently, when Niall Quinn had his testimonial match at Sunderland, they sold £5 non attending tickets for those who were unable to make it but wanted to show support, and they proved very popular.

We're considering doing a similar thing for Tins big match against Portsmouth.

What's the general feeling amongst exiles and overseas fans, or even those who'll be on holiday for the game (like me!!!!). Would you pay £5 not to go?

Guest Grange SE19

I live in London, and am hoping to be there.. But if I couldn't attend I would definately give £5 to show my support, especially a player who has given so much to the club..

Portsmouth?

I didn't know that was his testimonial, I thought it was just a friendly!

Why Portsmouth?

Newcastle should have come down and showed a bit of support.

Newcastle said that they couldn't fit it into their schedule cos they are very busy at that particular time which i suppose is fair enough. it's also Jim Smith at portsmouth, Tinmans manager at Newcastle.

Newcastle said that they couldn't fit it into their schedule cos they are very busy at that particular time
That's right. They were, of course, the first club we approached.

It has proved very difficult and time consuming to line up this fixture. We spoke to every Premier League club, the vast majority of whom were very helpful and supportive. But with the hectic schedule for the top clubs, finding the right club who would be available at the right time proved really difficult.

Eventually we narrowed it down to five clubs who all expressed an interest in sending a team, but for a variety of reasons (the main one being making sure that we can secure the best possible fixture for Brian) we opted for the Portsmouth game. We're very grateful to Pompey for sending what will be a very strong side down.

This will be our first game back at Ashton Gate after the Play off Final. The first opportunity to welcome back the team that have taken us to the First division. A chance to have the first look at some new signings. And primarily a chance for City fans to turn out in droves and say thanks to Tinman for everything he has done for Bristol City.

Portsmouth are bound to bring a few thousand fans. I really hope we can fill Ashton Gate and make it a night to remember.

Apparently, when Niall Quinn had his testimonial match at Sunderland, they sold £5 non attending tickets for those who were unable to make it but wanted to show support, and they proved very popular.

Niall Quinn is a great example to use.

He donated his "Testimonial Money" to a childrens charity !!!!

Niall Quinn is a great example to use.

I think you missed a bit out. It should read:

Multi-millionaire Niall Quinn is a great example to use.

If Tins had taken out of this club, the amounts Quinn took out of Sunderland, we'd be in desperate financial touble. A bit like... well, Sunderland.

If Tins had taken out of this club, the amounts Quinn took out of Sunderland, we'd be in desperate financial touble. A bit like... well, Sunderland.

I'm not up to speed with either Mr. Quinns' or Sunderlands' financial position, but surely your not laying any fault at the door of Mr. Quinn or belittling his gesture ?

If you are, that's up to you, it's your mud to sling, but surely there are scores of other "professionals" and other staff who have "taken money out of Sunderland" and those nice new stadia can't come cheap.

It's good to know that City aren't in ]"a desperate financial position"[/SIZE] it's just a shame about the year on year losses that we have had. Are they lighting cigars with rolled up "fifties" in the boardroom now ? :)

I'm not up to speed with either Mr. Quinns' or Sunderlands' financial position, but surely your not laying any fault at the door of Mr. Quinn or belittling his gesture ?

If you are, that's up to you, it's your mud to sling, but surely there are scores of other "professionals" and other staff who have "taken money out of Sunderland" and those nice new stadia can't come cheap.

It's good to know that City aren't in ]"a desperate financial position"[/SIZE] it's just a shame about the year on year losses that we have had. Are they lighting cigars with rolled up "fifties" in the boardroom now ? :)

No, I'm sure the many thousands of pounds a week that Quinn took, along with many others, from Sunderland played no part in their plight.

Sunderland were once seen as the paradigm case of a well run club with its new stadium and fanatical following. But following relegation they had plunged into financial trouble with debts of £28.6m in January. Half-year losses totalled £5.4m and the club has said that its wage bill has reached 'an unacceptable level'. In April the club announced that it was cutting backroom jobs and parting company with its chief executive. The club is talking to players and the PFA about deferring salaries as part of its financial restructuring. Shares slipped 12 per cent to 47.5 per cent on 14 July after weekend reports that the club may be forced into administration.

My point being, he made his fortune from the club, so could afford to make such a gesture.

Oh, I forgot to congratulate you on winning first prize in Tins' Testimonial Quiz Night. Which local charity did you donate the prize to?

Since it seems pretty likely that I will be holed up in Swindon that night I will be more then happy to contribute towards the great man.

Keep us informed Dave L!

p.s. bristolcityup you must remove that pic from your signature. My eyes keep hovering over it and making me think how lucky Mr. Redknapp is :P

Oh, I forgot to congratulate you on winning first prize in Tins' Testimonial Quiz Night. Which local charity did you donate the prize to?
Don't worry yourself, you weren't only in offering no congratulations.

As for my prize, that was sprinkled on some chips along with some sea salt. Lets hope I haven't condemned The Supportes Club to a desperate financial position!!!

• Admin

Now I don't mean to sound too negative for all the obvious hard work that Dave L and the committee have put in to arranging Tinnion's testimonial, but were Portsmouth really the biggest team we could have got ?

It was mentioned that there were five teams prepared to play against us, were Portsmouth really the most attractive to us?

Take out all the fans of Bristol City who will hopefully turn out for Tinnion, surely to appeal to the nutural fans a bigger team could have been chosen.

After all, this game has been talked about for well over a year now !

The thing that was a shame was that this game was announced first then it was added that this would be Tinnion's testimonial game. It should have been announced straight away as being the designated match. It almost sounds like someone else pulled out, then changed it to this fixture instead.

What was the delay in announcing this game as the Testimonial match?, it seems strange there was a delay between announcing the fixture and announcing this would be Tinnions night.

Are there any other events lined up? After attending both the previous nights in the Red 'N' white bar, just wondering what else was planned? will Tinnions "Year" run to 31/12 or does it end before then? :)

You seem to have missed out generous in between the words a and gesture

Anyone can make a 'generous' gesture, when they can comfortably afford to do so. Having said that, he didn't have to andI am glad that he did it. I would like to think all millionaire Premiership players would follow suit.

However, the lifestyles of those players, compared with those who have not made a fortune from the game, are vastly different.

I see Tins' Testimonial as no different from any loyalty scheme, which many companies use to reward employees.

Anyway, it's simple: If you don't approve, don't go.

It is money that is donated by those who want to donate. It could not be more honest or open and I cannot see why anyone has a problem with it, as you have the right to keep your money in your pocket.

Anyone can make a 'generous' gesture, when they can comfortably afford to do so. Having said that, he didn't have to andI am glad that he did it. I would like to think all millionaire Premiership players would follow suit.

However, the lifestyles of those players, compared with those who have not made a fortune from the game, are vastly different.

I see Tins' Testimonial as no different from any loyalty scheme, which many companies use to reward employees.

Anyway, it's simple: If you don't approve, don't go.

It is money that is donated by those who want to donate. It could not be more honest or open and I cannot see why anyone has a problem with it, as you have the right to keep your money in your pocket.

Well edited.

I admit that it would be extremly generous if Brian Tinnion gave an amount of his testimonial fund to charity. However whatever Brian does choose to do with the money I hope he makes good use of it.
I'm sure he has given money meant for him before to City's academy and the like! Even if he doesn't give a penny to charity I wouldn't begrudge the man a penny of it!! He has been a truly great servant to the club of whom we are all honoured to have him here. I will gladly part with some of my hard-earned(well maybe not always hard-earned!!)cash for Brian Tinnion..he has literally sweated blood and guts for the City Cause and has been a pleasure to watch. I feel priviliged to have seen him spray the ball out from flank to flank, scoring that goal against Cambridge(6-2 win)etc etc..just like the Older members of the forum today feel lucky to have watched John Atyeo in action...we will in future years be saying the same things about Sir Brian.

Simple..if you want to support Brian go to the game, donate money etc etc!! If you want to support charity then donate to charity!! The man is a legend...no less than 19000 packed into Ashton Gate will be accepted(well it will but the more the merrier)!!

Guest Holly7406

Hopefully more in future testimonial's if and when we get promoted to the 1st we can improve the stadium with a bigger Capacity.

I'm sure he has given money meant for him before to City's academy and the like! Even if he doesn't give a penny to charity I wouldn't begrudge the man a penny of it!! He has been a truly great servant to the club of whom we are all honoured to have him here. I will gladly part with some of my hard-earned(well maybe not always hard-earned!!)cash for Brian Tinnion..he has literally sweated blood and guts for the City Cause and has been a pleasure to watch. I feel priviliged to have seen him spray the ball out from flank to flank, scoring that goal against Cambridge(6-2 win)etc etc..just like the Older members of the forum today feel lucky to have watched John Atyeo in action...we will in future years be saying the same things about Sir Brian.

Simple..if you want to support Brian go to the game, donate money etc etc!! If you want to support charity then donate to charity!! The man is a legend...no less than 19000 packed into Ashton Gate will be accepted(well it will but the more the merrier)!!

I didn't mean it like that. I just meant it would be nice to give money to chairty and that I hope he has a good time with the money becasue he has earned it. And yes I will proably attend the game a) because i will be there to support him for his special match along with thousands of other fans and b) i will be there be because I am City till i die. Sorry if i didn't explain myself, it wasn't supposed to be a negative comment.

I didn't mean it like that. I just meant it would be nice to give money to chairty and that I hope he has a good time with the money becasue he has earned it. And yes I will proably attend the game a) because i will be there to support him for his special match along with thousands of other fans and b) i will be there be because I am City till i die. Sorry if i didn't explain myself, it wasn't supposed to be a negative comment.
Sorry mate, didn't mean it to sound like a dig at your good-self!! Was going to edit it and state that!! Just trying to put into words my appreciation of the man...if I had to take Brighton-like-tendencies(meant in jest..I'm not a homophobe and both cities are equally mixed and diverse!!)Brian Tinnion would be the man(did I just say that?!)!! He really is a legend and it will be a real shame when he hangs up his boots!! Would retiring the number 11 shirt be going a bit too far?!?!

Sure Brian will give a proportion to charity anyway if he feels the need although there should be no pressure on him to..he seems to do a fair amount of charity work anyway!!

Archived