IGNORED

Marv

red colin

I have to agree with Jordan. I'm slightly puzzled why people think Elliott is a good in the air or at least when it comes to getting on the end of crosses at least?

Take your point that there aint any others either :laugh:

I think he is pretty good at getting on the end of them, it's more of what he does with it after that is the problem :) I am sure if he put even half the chances away he has got from corners and free kicks this season he would be close to double figures!

Rest assured getting on the end of things is definately not a problem

I think he is pretty good at getting on the end of them, it's more of what he does with it after that is the problem :) I am sure if he put even half the chances away he has got from corners and free kicks this season he would be close to double figures!

Rest assured getting on the end of things is definately not a problem

He wins everything, it's just he heads it straight up or straight down. Pearsons goal last week was a perfect example of Marvin not having a clue what to do and just throwing his body at the ball... Luckily for us he ****** it up so much it fell to Pearson...

I do agree that he's our main threat in the air, which in itself is pretty horrendous, but we can be much more creative from corners (Last goal I remember from a corner was drilled to maynard who put it in first time) Corners don't have to be floated at the penalty box for a header.

I also don't agree that Marv is essential in a 3 man midfield, (at home, only an idiot wouldn't play the lad away) Cisse does just as much breaking up and Pearson puts himself about a little too. Him and Killkenny will offer more in terms of keeping the ball with the protection of Cisse imo.

He wins everything, it's just he heads it straight up or straight down. Pearsons goal last week was a perfect example of Marvin not having a clue what to do and just throwing his body at the ball... Luckily for us he ****** it up so much it fell to Pearson...

I do agree that he's our main threat in the air, which in itself is pretty horrendous, but we can be much more creative from corners (Last goal I remember from a corner was drilled to maynard who put it in first time) Corners don't have to be floated at the penalty box for a header.

I also don't agree that Marv is essential in a 3 man midfield, (at home, only an idiot wouldn't play the lad away) Cisse does just as much breaking up and Pearson puts himself about a little too. Him and Killkenny will offer more in terms of keeping the ball with the protection of Cisse imo.

Against Southampton?

It's only three games ago that he completely stifled probably the best player in the division. Obviously Marv has his weaknesses, but if he didn't have those weaknesses he would easily be a Premier League player. I agree that if we were going to play two in in the middle of midfield, not that I think we will on Saturday, then there is a case for it being Cisse and Kilkenny. But there is a danger that this wouldn't give Kilkenny the licence to have more of a free role that he has enjoyed recently and Cisse, although very good at what he does, isn't going to get around the pitch as well as Marv does and this will therefore mean we could get overrun.

The bottom line is Marv is an integral member of our squad and I'd much rather have him in our team than the opposition's.

Sounds like Adebola!

Well for years probably longer than you have been alive Jordan, I/many have been saying we can be so much more creative from Corners. problem is we are not and never have been. Lets hope Del can coach corners better than the last 8 or 9 city managers. It has always been a bug bear of mine.

Well for years probably longer than you have been alive Jordan, I/many have been saying we can be so much more creative from Corners. problem is we are not and never have been. Lets hope Del can coach corners better than the last 8 or 9 city managers. It has always been a bug bear of mine.

When we got promoted in 1998 weren't we the only team in the division to not score a goal from a corner? McCombe was always dangerous, but apart from that I would agree that most of the time we have been completely pointless!

When we got promoted in 1998 weren't we the only team in the division to not score a goal from a corner? McCombe was always dangerous, but apart from that I would agree that most of the time we have been completely pointless!

That would not surprise me. Is that true :) I'll have to remember that for a quiz question :)

Against Southampton?

Perhaps not, though with our form and home advantage Southampton might set up a little deeper and bide their time before taking the game to us. Usual away tactics really. It's about finding the balance between stopping the opposition and making them stop you.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us set up like it was an away game and show Southampton a lot of respect, and perhaps given that situation Marvin running around like a madman would be advantageous.

The attacking 5 against Burnley were at times unplayable, I would like to see them play with Cisse at some point this season.

Marv's doing an important job at the minute in terms of bringing energy and physicality to the midfield. However, looking forwards we may have to find someone who has that energy and can pass a ball, because his lack of technique does let him down. That said, the only players I wouldn't swap for anyone are Albert and(on current form) Killkenny. If we're brutally honest, the rest of the squad probably have superior equivalents in other squads

Surely a player who runs about and tackles as much as Elliot, but heads better, attacks better and passes better is Essien? In the last few games, Elliot has had to nulify the threat of Nolan/Noble and Howard/Trotter and none of them really created much, especially yesterday. Obviously it wasn't just him, but I think we have all 3 types of midfielders and a system which we can fit them in. A calm collected break-up man in Cisse, a superb presser/creater/organiser in NK and a lunatic head first into challenges Elliot.

Without shelling out big bucks on fees and wages we're not going to get any better than that.

Surely a player who runs about and tackles as much as Elliot, but heads better, attacks better and passes better is Essien? In the last few games, Elliot has had to nulify the threat of Nolan/Noble and Howard/Trotter and none of them really created much, especially yesterday. Obviously it wasn't just him, but I think we have all 3 types of midfielders and a system which we can fit them in. A calm collected break-up man in Cisse, a superb presser/creater/organiser in NK and a lunatic head first into challenges Elliot.

Without shelling out big bucks on fees and wages we're not going to get any better than that.

Elliott works is crown jewels of every game you can see the passion in his face, he wants to win every ball, that is his downfall he gives a lot of free kicks away but nobody can ever question his work rate or desire, 10 Elliott's not ability wise but passion you will not go wrong as a team.

Elliott works is crown jewels of every game you can see the passion in his face, he wants to win every ball, that is his downfall he gives a lot of free kicks away but nobody can ever question his work rate or desire, 10 Elliott's not ability wise but passion you will not go wrong as a team.

Closest thing I have seen to Gow in terms of passion to win a ball in 30 odd years.

No, I am not suggesting he is in the same league before anyone suggests I am insane :)

Marv did exactly what mcinnes told him to do and that was break up play I. The middle cisse sat behind him and Kilkenny was the creative force

Only city fans will loom for a player to slag off when we are on a decent run

Yup, very true- how I saw it too. A good balance. Of course, it'd be good if Elliott was better on the ball and ball retention is important- but so is solid shape off the ball, pressing etc and he is undoubtedly good at that.

Archived