IGNORED

"mansfield 4 V 5 City 2002 " 23Rd November

wembley87

I remember being there with 2 others and going 4-2 down. The group of people in front of us stood up and stormed out all angry! We were concidering leaving but my Dad was chatting with a guy next to him who said something like "this lot let goals in for fun, I fancy a draw" with that, we get the pen, timan 4-3, game on! I remember the Mansfield fans going very quiet, then Lita flicks in a header! 4-4! Everyone going mental! I honestly though that was it and everyone was celebrating a draw. Then Roberts gets the ball, lets fly with a wonder strike into the roof of the net 5-4! I just remember every one jumping on each other and some guys throwing the green wheelie bins on the pitch that were near the advertising boards. Best game ever!

It was the first and last time I ever considered leaving early.

Although it was close at half time (I think we were 2-1 down), City were playing terribly and the game was nothing memorable. 35 minutes later and City were 4-2 down, still playing quite poorly and I had to get a train back to Lancaster where I lived. I'd been away in Oxford for the past few days and was fed up of trains, travelling and being away. I was moments away from convincing myself to leave and see if I could get an earlier train, when City suddenly awoke and scored.

"Fair enough" I thought. We'll lose 4-3 and that's disappointing. But I'll just stay and see what happens. You never know, they might get another....

Moments later, of course, they did and the overriding feeling was that City were going to come away with a point they scarcely deserved... but now they only need one goal to win. They couldn't.... could they? City were well on top by now but time was running out. Suddenly, an attack, a goal and the most incredible comeback I've ever seen was complete.

I can't remember many details of the goals. I remember Murray and Roberts scoring but I can't remember anyone else. I've no idea how they won because they were dreadful for most of the match.

I've never since even contemplated leaving before the final whistle.

Incidentally, a few weeks back I experienced a slightly less dramatic comeback from the other side a few weeks back when Guiseley went from 3-1 up against Halifax to lose 4-3 in the space of about 20 minutes. It's not so much fun that way around.

Oh and I've just remembered another thing from that day: future England goalkeeper Ben Foster warming up with Phillips before the game and blasting the ball into the face of a small girl in the stand from about 12 yards. To his credit he immediately went over to make sure she was alright.

Remember listening to this game on the radio with my old man, had given up all hope until Tinman got that pen to make it 4-3 and I still remember Ali Durden saying 'Bristol City can still win this'. Then when Lita made it 4-4 it was unreal thought that we had got a point out of nothing. Then all of a sudden Christian Roberts smashed in an absolute wordlie and Ali Durden was going absolutely mental, me and my dad were going mental. Such an amazing game just to listen to can imagine what it must of been like to be there! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Would love to hear that commentary from radio bristol from that game.

I was there that day. It's right up there with the very best City moments I've seen. I'll never forget the Roberts winner, we had a great view from where we were and you could see it arrowing into the top corner from the instant he struck it. We went absolutely nuts and I was still buzzing weeks later. It really was unbelievable and I'm not sure I've ever seen any team come from 2 goals down at the very end of normal time to score 3 in added time and win.

Other great moments for me include the play off semi final wins v Hartlepool and Palace, and Louie Donowa's 88th minute winner v the Gas in about 1992. We hadn't beaten them for ages and their fans were shouting abuse throughout a minute's silence for Des Williams before the kick off. Holloway missed a pen towards the end of the game, which was beautiful in itself, and we went on to win it. It was absolute magic.

The Mansfield game takes some beating though. We'll never see a game like that one again.

I remember this game like it was yesterday! This was epic! I remember when we came back it was like we'd won promotion! Huggging and celebrating with people that you didn't even know! A lot of people left early that day as well! I have a friend and his mate left early and was driving down the motorway and when James Alexandre Gordon read out the scores he almost crashed his car!

What a glorious day! One of the only away matches I went to all season and what a choice it was!

I do recall the Notts Constabulary filming us and a load of lads who had turned up late getting turfed out after the Murray equaliser.

But the sheer elation of completely turning a game round on it's head - being dead and buried one minute, then top of the world the next - was just unbelievable.

I have never seen a game like it since.

The funniest part of my day was when a Bury supporting friend of mine rang me as he had heard so much about it on the radio that he had to speak to someone who was there. He'd also just got a few slaps from some Carlisle supporters, so he wasn't best pleased!

Bloody hell was it 9 years ago? I'm another one that was there, remember somebody that was with us drifting off at 4-2, no chance for me I stuck it out to the (bitter :laughcont:) end! I've got the extended highlights on the hd of my dvd recorder that I like to put on every now and then, still makes the hair on my neck stand up! A few years back when Ali Durden was in for Twentypence on a friday night on Radio Bris he was taking requests and played the Mansfield audio, I managed to record it by putting my phone next to the radio, wilst it came out ok, I don't know where the phone is, surley NTTDS has got it? (the audio, not my old Sony Ericsson!)

The best game I've ever been to. I was about 19 at the time, at Loughborough uni so made the short trip on the train and met a couple of mates who drove up from Bristol.

Still gives me a warm glow inside thinking back to that day, and this thread has brought it all flooding back. So glad I can say I was there.

I reckon I've got another 40-50 years watching city (if I'm lucky!), but I'm sure I'll never see another game like it.

When we were 0-1 down to Kingstonian in the 4th round of the FA Cup in 2001 my 7 year old son wanted to leave on 90 minutes.

Tony Thorpe equalised on 93 minutes 32 seconds and I've never since had a problem persuading my boy to stay to the bitter end. Even when we got hammered at Ipswich. Good lesson in stoic blind faith. And bitter disappointment of course. All part of the City experience.

So we witnessed the whole Mansfield drama unfold. That game was my 6 year old daughter's first away trip and she'd only ever seen us win at home before. My son spent the entire journey home trying to convince her that we did lose sometimes, despite her absolute belief that we were clearly invincible.

Happy days.

I went to this one, my memories of the day are , thinking that Field Mill was quite impressive other than one stand that was little more than a Pigeon Hut! The Stewards being right up for a ruck. The Mansfield fans singing 'can we play you every week' when we were 4-2 down. Thinking when we got it back to 4-4 that we'd scored four goals and were only going to get a point and then Christian Roberts smashing in that sensational winner. After the game being sat on the coach waiting to leave and a traffic cone bouncing off the window as their fans couldn't take it and were looking to kick off.

Still have the entire Soccer sunday programe of the Mansfield game

We had TEN MINUTES of highlights on that day

Phil truffle was the commentator

Although I think BBC points west put Ali durdains radio commentary on the goal action that was shown on the BBC points west local telly news

:laugh: Phil truffle. Don't dis the TOT. Got a recording of his commentary when tin man scored at anfield somewhere. Classic stuff and completely biased, as it should be :)

Archived