IGNORED

David James

citylad05

I personally would still like to see him here after this season. I think he has been brilliant since Derek has come in and the its like the defence are working well with him too!

just seen this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2071280/Bristol-City-wants-David-James-wage-bill.html

i went to the Q & A session last night and when asked about David James he breifly moved onto the next Question? Keep him on even Player/Coach? i do understand about wage side too but i still think hes a good No.1

Only way he will be here is if he takes a massive pay cut. That said I can't see many teams in commuting distance of exeter offering huge wages. Soooo if he wants to continue playing on a relatively decent wage, who knows, he could sign for another year on much lower terms.

Anyone but Gherkin though, if James does go, we need a new number 1, first choice keeper.

That maybe so, except that Gerken was vilified on here after a couple of cock-ups but still producing some brilliant saves.

Whereas, James has made far greater mistakes and I have yet to see him make an outstanding save.

Gerken was a very promising young goalkeeper before James arrived, now his confidence and development have probably been put back years due to james' presence.

So if not James or Gerken, who?

Goalies can keep going at this level until their mid - 40's.

Was it Peter Shilton still playing at 45 ?

However, in terms of reducing the club's losses, we can't go on paying James £15k per week (according to the Daily Mail). I have heard higher figures.

As I understand it, he is on a one season contract.

Personally, I think we should let him go at the end of this season.

Possibly another one year contract. But Del Boy will decide.

Whatever Derek says, I will go along with. This manager is outstanding.

That maybe so, except that Gerken was vilified on here after a couple of cock-ups but still producing some brilliant saves.

Whereas, James has made far greater mistakes and I have yet to see him make an outstanding save.

Gerken was a very promising young goalkeeper before James arrived, now his confidence and development have probably been put back years due to james' presence.

Loach, Smithies, Henderson.

Only way he will be here is if he takes a massive pay cut. That said I can't see many teams in commuting distance of exeter offering huge wages. Soooo if he wants to continue playing on a relatively decent wage, who knows, he could sign for another year on much lower terms.

I was thinking the same thing. Cant see him staying here as a coach though think he will still wanna play plus prem clubs will be all over him as a coach

I was thinking the same thing. Cant see him staying here as a coach though think he will still wanna play plus prem clubs will be all over him as a coach

People keep stating on here that he should be kept on as a coach - but does he have any coaching badges.

perhaps somebody could enlighten me/us.

He was great with the kids tonight, a real role model and intelligent bloke.

Sadly I think he'll only be an asset to us as a coach next season. 41 is some age for a footballer, even for a goalkeeper.

I agree he was fintastic tonight, made me laugh when I asked him was he on 40k like the Crawley manager suggested !!

Considering the debts we are racking up, I'd prefer it if we were getting a little bit more value for money.

Although James is now an average/good goalie, you could probably pick up an equivalent for a lot less money.

The club needs to be a bit more realistic throughout. Our squad is far too big, and some of the players aren't giving us the return on our investment.

Ideally, I'd like to see a playing squad of around 16-18 players, but filled with true quality.

Was he?

James has made outstanding saves but you don't appear to be willing to recognise that, nor the fact that Gerkin is distrusted by his defence. Gerkin's lack of Authority is the problem. He spreads doubt and panic. James is clearly less agile and does make some strange decisions, but that is a reflection of his age. At least he has some presence.

Well i have read saying James took pay cut when portsmouth was struggling and a very nice gesture he and some of the players (from portsmouth) paid some of the staff out there own wages! It was great to hear what DJ said about the new gaffer too. I dont think Gerkin is a great goalkeeper and id prefer James any day above Gerkin, would be nice to get someone in if and when James is finished Loach? Speroni now he would be great dont know the age :laugh: how bout Kirkland?

I thought his wages, what ever they are, were being paid by SL, so not strictly part off the overall wage structure.

So if he goes I would have thought that the money would not be available to spend on another player or two?:dunno:

Apologies if I have got this completely wrong.:surrender:

Apology accepted because you have... He's definitely part of the wage structure of the club it wouldn't make sense at all if he wasn't.

I'm bloody sick of this James witch-hunt...

Yes, he has not had his best season, but he has been nothing but the model professional in his time here (as by all accounts he has been throughout his career) and yet some of our numbnuts still want to get on his case.

It's nothing short of embarrassing...

Maybe next season will be a season too far for him - who knows?

I DO know that he is infinately superior to anyone else we have for the position.

I have always known that a large proportion of our support base are, quite frankly, thick.

The James Witch-hunt just confirms it.

:disapointed2se:

Unfortunately one of Steve Lansdown's greatest mistakes.

Not having ago at SL, made with the best of intentions and his money, but part of the problem over the last 18 months.

100% disagree.

Just another scapegoat. Our defence has been a shambles for 90% of the time he has been here, and I personally think he's been given a bad rap. The Reading game was a case in point. We conceded two goals that, had someone been marking effectively at the back post, wouldn't have happened. Not his fault. Maybe he could have done better but I think largely people had a pop because it was DJ.

I also think that he's been a good role model, been a great ambassador (I was at the open day and he was fantastic) and has been pretty good on the pitch. I think he's won us more points than he's lost.

Whether he's worth the wages...of course not. 99% of footballers aren't. They play football for Christ sake!

Overall I'm pretty proud to say that DJ plays in a City shirt, and can't really understand people who aren't.

oh another james witch hunt,

How well did it go the last time he was droped, was it 5-0 with 4 of them being Gerkins fault?

No out standing saves, you mustn't of been at the southampton game when they went clean through or the one he tipped over the bar in the first half against boro or the game he kept us in at barnsley or the reason we drew with portsmouth

Considering the debts we are racking up, I'd prefer it if we were getting a little bit more value for money.

Although James is now an average/good goalie, you could probably pick up an equivalent for a lot less money.

The club needs to be a bit more realistic throughout. Our squad is far too big, and some of the players aren't giving us the return on our investment.

Ideally, I'd like to see a playing squad of around 16-18 players, but filled with true quality.

"Ideally, I'd like to see a playing squad of around 16-18 players, but filled with true quality."

Are you bonkers? :laughcont:

I think paying one player so much more than the others in the first place caused a lot of of unrest and was one of the biggest problems Millen had to deal with.

Surely we can get a better/equivalent quality keeper for less than the (alleged) £15k pw? - henderson?

so why is there no unrest under mcinnes then?

Why are we offering Maynard a deal to become the highest paid player in the clubs history? will that not cause more disruption?

These anti james threads are so sad people are only picking on him because of who he is

so why is there no unrest under mcinnes then?

Why are we offering Maynard a deal to become the highest paid player in the clubs history? will that not cause more disruption?

These anti james threads are so sad people are only picking on him because of who he is

I think the problem is the Wages Monkeh, if he was putting in 15-20k a week performances people would not get on his back.

I think some of the stick he has got is harsh, but also from the man himself, he did not play well for the first half of last season as he has not prepared himself properly (how can you admit that and take 20k a week or whatever he is actually on), which for me is totaly unprofessional. I am sorry but through some poor performances and then admitting he hadn't prepared correctly for the start of the season he has bought alot of the flack on himself.

My main bug bear about him is the basic mistakes he continues to make, the type of mistake you shouldnt be seeing froma international keeper, notibly pushing the ball back into the 6 yard box rather than around the post or out wide, he so often commits the cardinal sin (in my eyes) and alot of goals conceded have come from it.

Basically he agreed to play for us on massive wages (if Lansdown was right to offer them to him is a completely different thread) then he should put in performance according to his own value of himself.

I do think he brings better communication to the back line and a constant injury hit back line since he has been here has not helped.

Foe me he will always be a luxury and over paid for what he is. What he may have bought to the club is great experience that will ub off on our young up and coming keepers, unfortunately we let one go because James was taking one route into the squad for him, and the other is off at gloucester playing, so not getting much of James time.

People keep stating on here that he should be kept on as a coach - but does he have any coaching badges.

perhaps somebody could enlighten me/us.

Why does David James need coaching badges, he has the second most appearances in Premier League history has played in FA Cup finals been to the World Cup, that's enough badges for me i think from that experience he might know what he is talking about to younger players.

Archived