IGNORED

4-4-2

Red Robin

Why does every thread end up in some sort of slagging match, nearly every thread is ruined.

This place is getting very tiresome

As a forum observer since 2003 and rare poster, couldnt agree more.

At least in the era of Edson and Bristol Boy there was a genuine attempt to discuss the football, there are at least two trolls on this forum at present with

about 20,000 posts between them of which about 18,000 are continous bitching on the same topic.

how many times have 4-4-2 failed us this season,

We don't have enough strength to play it and all our recent wins and draws and good peromances were down to the fact we did not play 4-4-2

Change it and we won't win simples

You may have noticed we lost the last two games, Monkeh, which is why people are floating the idea that having increased firepower up front might be an idea.

I'm undecided between the obvious merits of two strikers and the midfield flexibility of the present system. We might need to wait until Jan and bring someone in before we can go back to 4-4-2.

You may have noticed we lost the last two games, Monkeh, which is why people are floating the idea that having increased firepower up front might be an idea.

I'm undecided between the obvious merits of two strikers and the midfield flexibility of the present system. We might need to wait until Jan and bring someone in before we can go back to 4-4-2.

Bit of a conundrum.

We have lost our last two games after reverting to 442

We have been drawing or 1 up when playing 451, would suggest (although a bit unfairly especially with the Boro result) that 442 doesn't work so well, we do not score and we let in goals, opposed to 451

the last 2 games we were 0-0 with boro and change to 4-4-2 in search of a winner and we were extremely unlikey with a world class free kick deciding the game,

We were winning at derby went to 4-4-2 and lost as we had lost the protection of the extra man in the middle which in turned exposed our defense,

Well, I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that we'd need a midfielder of the sort we don't possess yet to make 4-4-2 work.

Aye I agree unless Marv or cisse can become creative or Kilkenny can be a bit stronger,

Not many clubs stick to a rigid 4-4-2 these days anyway,

The important thing now is the team to respond in the massive game at the weekend

the last 2 games we were 0-0 with boro and change to 4-4-2 in search of a winner and we were extremely unlikey with a world class free kick deciding the game,

We were winning at derby went to 4-4-2 and lost as we had lost the protection of the extra man in the middle which in turned exposed our defense,

Pretty sure it was 1-1 at Derby when we went 4-4-2 but that aside, I agree with your analysis.

Pretty sure it was 1-1 at Derby when we went 4-4-2 but that aside, I agree with your analysis.

I didn't go so I was guessing so I'm happy to stand corrected,

But it does highlight how unbalanced the squad is even the players are saying they were poor which is encuraging to hear that they know it wasn't good enough,

Its going to be intresting jan, do we break the boat to retain championship football but increase our wage bill for 6 months do we try and sell before we buy which leave mcinnes without his own team,

Glad I'm not making that call

Go back and read post 5 of this thread, Code Reds excellent explanation as why McInnes doesn't currently have players to play 4-4-2.

You might change your mind.

I just don't agree that not having a marked creative central (i stress the central part of this line) midfielder at this level matters much if you have creativity in wide positions which we do. He states matter of fact that it can't work, I just disagree. I rate physical ability higher at this level, than technical. (I disagree with this philosophy as a way to coach and a way to play but we're in the second tier of English football, better get real about the quality of it.)

The problem at present is if AA or NM are not playing well,the goals are hard to come by.

The last couple of games AA and NM have been of there game.

Hence we are struggling to hit the net.

Play this side if you don't go 4-4-2

James

Skuse Fontaine mcgivern

Cisse

Adomah Elliot killkenny pearson

Maynard and pitman

Leave cisse to control, and clear up, and to help out the back three.

But I'm sure we would see more chances of scoring.

I just don't agree that not having a marked creative central (i stress the central part of this line) midfielder at this level matters much if you have creativity in wide positions which we do. He states matter of fact that it can't work, I just disagree. I rate physical ability higher at this level, than technical. (I disagree with this philosophy as a way to coach and a way to play but we're in the second tier of English football, better get real about the quality of it.)

african cup of nations is around the corner so Albert (our only creative player) will not be playing soon if 4-4-2 worked millen would be in a job still it doesn't and city have proven over the cause of this season why it doesn't work and why the majority of top teams in this league and the prem don't use it,

4-4-2 is a thing of the past

Creativity in wide positions is very useful but who gets the ball out wide to the wingers?

Most creativity in most teams stems from the middle and apart from Kilkenny City don't have anyone to play that position. Creative players like him need ball winners around them like Elliot and Cisse. If City play Elliot, Cisse and Kilkenny in midfield with Albert and Pearson/Woolford out wide the only option to accommodate two strikers is to play 3 at the back.

It would be possible to supply the wingers by using the left back to feed the left winger with the same on the right. Problem with that is that its easy to defend against.

I quite like the look of that 3-5-2 as we don't have out and out full backs at the minute. I'm not sure Skuse could play on the right of a back 3, so I guess maybe Wilson, fonts and Nyatanga at the back. Trouble is then the 2 wingers (albert and pearson/woolford) might be pushed back to help out defensively and that certainly isn't where we want Albert playing.

How about:

---------------------------James-------------------------

---------Wilson---------Fonts-----------Tanga--------

Skuse---------Marv-----------Cisse--------Woolford/Pearson

-------------------Kilkenny/Pitman-------------------------

----------Albert---------------Maynard-------------------

In many ways this is the same as what we play now as in defence Skuse could drop back to create a back four, and Albert tends to play pretty high up the pitch anyway. Cisse would have to be very disciplined and drop into the back 3 if Wilson or Tanga get pulled wide.

I quite like the look of that 3-5-2 as we don't have out and out full backs at the minute. I'm not sure Skuse could play on the right of a back 3, so I guess maybe Wilson, fonts and Nyatanga at the back. Trouble is then the 2 wingers (albert and pearson/woolford) might be pushed back to help out defensively and that certainly isn't where we want Albert playing.

How about:

----------Albert---------------Maynard-------------------

In many ways this is the same as what we play now as in defence Skuse could drop back to create a back four, and Albert tends to play pretty high up the pitch anyway. Cisse would have to be very disciplined and drop into the back 3 if Wilson or Tanga get pulled wide.

only problem is Albert threat is from out wide with pace he wouldn't be as effective upfront so we lose his creative and running on the wing

only problem is Albert threat is from out wide with pace he wouldn't be as effective upfront so we lose his creative and running on the wing

Correct, Albert's threat is when he has space to target and try and bomb into and isolate the full back.

Albert up front would not have the time and space to do this and would more often than not be facing the wrong way. Not the best way to utilise his talents., I am sure i could work in certain situations, but i can't see it as a long term option

I'd have him wide right but pushed further forward (a bit like Anelka, Ronaldo, Messi etc), with Maynard, Kilkenny/Pitman central. i.e. in behind their full back. He likes to cut in from the right anyway so I think he does play in this position a lot currently. With Skuse further forward, but behind him doing his defensive duties he wouldn't get so knackered tracking back. He does far too much running IMO

Attacking:

-----Albert---------------Maynard-------------------

Defending:

Skuse---------Wilson---------Fonts-----------Tanga--------

-----------Marv-----------Cisse--------Woolford/Pearson

-------Albert----------------------Kilkenny/Pitman-----------

-----------------------Maynard-------------------

James

McGiven Fonts Tanga Skuse

Elliot Cisse

Albert Kilkenny Maynard

Pitman

Have Albert and and Maynard play as inside forwads so they can support pitman skuse and mcgiven as attacking full backs and elliot and cisse providing cover to the back four, also give kilkenny a free roll

Archived