IGNORED

Most Memorable/exciting City Goal...

KingswoodRed

Done before I know, but on the back of what has to be one of the most memorable City goals ever scored by a certain Mr. C. Roberts V Hartlepool, what other goal/s stick out in your mind?

Mine:

1. Stevie Neville.

Last few seconds of injury time, Freight Rover Southern Area Final v Hereford.

(Started at top of old enclosure (STANDING), finsihed near front wall, due to crowd movement a la Kop style of mid 80's)

2. Louie Donowa.

Last few seconds of normal time V Bristol Rovers.

3. A certain Mr. C. Roberts.

Last few seconds of normal time V Grimsby, this season.

Pattern forming???

There must be more, but those are the three that spring to mind.

Come on........let's drown in some nostalgic history of City goals as a lead up to the big one.

:)

Lee Matthews vs Millwall.

Memorable for a number of reasons:

1. A last minute penalty winner.

2. All those sendings off.

3. Getting absolutely soaked as the heavens opened on the way back to Temple Meads.

4. Being given an enormous family sized chocolate gateau by the bar staff at TM and watching my fat pig of a brother wolf the whole thing down.

1. A last minute penalty winner.

2. All those sendings off.

3. Getting absolutely soaked as the heavens opened on the way back to Temple Meads.

4. Being given an enormous family sized chocolate gateau by the bar staff at TM and watching my fat pig of a brother wolf the whole thing down.

That's what memories are made of. :)

In reverse order:

5. Mardon v Notts Forest (to take a 1-0 lead in 1st leg of league cup semis)

4. Steve Neville v Hereford (to win 3-0 following an away leg 2-0 defeat)

3. Roberts v Hartlepool

2. Tinman's at Anfield (to seal Graeme Souness' fate as Liverpool manager)

1. Superbob's 3rd (I think) v Crewe April 1990. My memory has it that he was a few yards inside their half when he unleashed an unstoppable shot. He was awesome that night and I recall my heart being ripped out as he left the field on a stretcher. As my version of history has it, the last great Superbob performance for City.

1. Clive Whiteheads against portsmouth to get us into the old first division 2. Super paul cheesley scoring our first goal in the first div for us to win at highbury super mac and all.

3. (THINK) Gerry Gow second at coventry to keep us in the first div (what a superb last 10 mins)

wasn't Gow's second goal i meant it was city's second.

Greg Goodridge Vs Preston? at ashton gate during our last Promotion season.

Around the last minute it was GG Vs the defender, a couple of successful stepovers and a drop of the shoulder and hits a rocket into the top corner!

Torpey Volley Vs Swindon

Murray vs Oldham last season

Aaron Browns Vs swindon this season

Cristian Roberts Vs Mansfield last season!

Guest RedDragon

1. The Tinman goal that sent Liverpool out of the FA Cup and Souness out of a job.

2. Christan Robert's winning goal in the Hartlepool Game.

3. Christian Robert's goal in the remarkable 5-4 against Mansfield.

Gary Owers at Chesterfield last minute equaliser, around 1996/1997 time, TV showed it was actually a handball, but didn't stop us dancing around on the terraces for 15 minutes.

Beadle's last minute equaliser at Rotherham United a couple of years ago.

All 3 goals at Cardiff and Reading in the 3-1 wins.

Jan Molby's own goal agaisnt us in a 2-1 defeat V Swansea, like we'd won the FA Cup.

Late goal at Portsmouth in the 1999 Division one season, Adam Locke scored.

Lee Miller's last mintue header against Barnsley at home.

Aaron Brown's last minute winner at Grimsby to send us top, amazing.

Off the top of me head:-

Tony Thorpe header v the gas inc. excellent run from Aaron.

Soren Anderssen's late one at the stadium of light.

Jacki (from another planet) away to Leicester.

Paul Cheesley at Highbury.

Donnie Gillies scored the equalizer at Coventry + his goal versus Leeds at Elland Road. Also Keith Fear v Leeds.

Scott versus Oldham last season.

Goodfellow and Robbo who literally rocked the gate last week.

the Goat against the gas following excellent cross from scottie.

Loads more - I may come back on this one

Guest comeonyoureds

this season aaron brown at grimsby! last season roberts at mansfield to win 5-4, and murray in the 3-1 win at cardiff a few years back!

Mike Gibson from a goal kick, :laugh: and a John Galley :) volley from a corner kick straight into top corner
I think that Galley goal was against Orient in the famous 5-3 win over Orient. Just fantastic.

Another fave would be a toss-up between Beadle's header in the 3-2 destruction of the Gas, and Thorpe's goal in the same game ... I think TT's just shades it due to the wonderful run & cross from Aaron - the move had "goal" written all over it from the moment Brown received the ball.

A personal standout was Martin Scott's last-gasp penalty vs Grimsby on a vile Saturday afternoon!

1-0 down, 2-1 up, we knocked rovers out the cup..

ah! at eastville 90th minute martin hirst winner :laugh:

Yes, yes, yes. The turning point after our fall from grace I think. My (now) wife's first game, I'm amazed she married me after seeing my reaction to that one.

My memory of Jimmy Mann goal is a little different as I was standing with my mate who is a Forest fan in the away end at the time. :) I punched the air silently then walked outside to jump up and down for a minute or so! :blink:

The Whitehead goal obviously and also Donnie Gillies goal at Leeds in the FA cup.

Guest pentlandsl
A Jimmy Mann special against Forest i think, cant remember what game it was but AG was pretty well packed that night?
Couldn't believe someone else remembered that one as I was going to add it!

It was against Forest in front of over 40,000 fans (exceeding our safety limit - but who cares!) on a Saturday in the old 1st division. This was when Forest were the best team in the country and had the world's best keeper in goal, Peter Shilton.

Looking out from the East End, Jimmy collected the ball and let fly a thunderbolt (only Alan Walsh has been capable of these since) which went like a rocket and curled into the top corner of the net, right at my eye level, totally beating Shilton.

The Evening post used the pitch grass stripes to measure the kick after the match which showed it was scored from 42 yards.

Totally amazing.

Another great goal from the era was from Perti Jantunen on his debut - he dribbled past 4 or 5 players to score, very much like Maradonna against England.

I'm not sure about over 40,000 but probably around 25000 Jimmy Mann collected the ball (V N Forrest) just outside the centre circle moved forward a few yards and "######ng hit it" Shilton didn't even move until the ball hit the back of the net (I had the perfect Dolman Stand view)........What a goal

As a note to other answers the punt goal was Ray Cashley V Hull (Glos Boy not Gibbo) and it poured with rain as I remember it

Donny Gillies V LEEDS cup replay circa 74 & V Coventry circa 77 are right up there and Clive Whitehead V Portsmouth to get us in the top flight of English football is also a colosal goal for us......But in recent seasons Robbo last week was something else..............NOW LETS MAKE IT COUNT

Does no one else remember the winner against bradford that put us into the Littlewoods cup semi against forest? Think it was Jordan who scored late on after we'd taken a battering. I though there little away end was going to collapse we got so excited!

Looking out from the East End, Jimmy collected the ball and let fly a thunderbolt (only Alan Walsh has been capable of these since) which went like a rocket and curled into the top corner of the net, right at my eye level, totally beating Shilton.

Were you stood next to me then? That`s exactly as i remember it.

I can still see the ball coming towards me now.

My favourite player at that time was "Hot Shot Hamish" and Jimmy`s goal was better than any that even the mighty Hamish could muster.

Archived