IGNORED

Stephen Pearson

GrahamC

Looks like he's staying with us, according to the BBC sport site;

Derby County manager Nigel Clough hopes that both Stephen Bywater and Stephen Pearson will finalise permanent moves out of Pride Park in the coming weeks.

Goalkeeper Bywater, 30, has made 11 appearances while on loan with League One side Sheffield Wednesday

And midfielder Pearson, 29, has played five games at Bristol City.

Clough told BBC Radio Derby: "Talks are ongoing with both clubs. Both clubs have an interest in keeping them and I'm sure there's a deal to be done."

honestly, 23m of losses in the last 2 years seriously suggests it would be a bad, bad idea to sign a player of his age who has 0 resale value.

i am all for the board supporting mcinnes, but here is one where they would surely (and hopefully) say no.

just extend the loan, if derby cant find a buyer

honestly, 23m of losses in the last 2 years seriously suggests it would be a bad, bad idea to sign a player of his age who has 0 resale value.

i am all for the board supporting mcinnes, but here is one where they would surely (and hopefully) say no.

It'll be for a nominal fee if any at all :)

It'll be for a nominal fee if any at all :)

I think he is still one of Derby's "Premier league" earners so they will just be happy to get him off the wage bill.

He would obviously have to take a significant pay cut to join us.

Could turn out to be a good little deal.

Agree with that - no need to sign him on any more than a loan deal. Pearson seems ok but hasn't played many games to test his previous injury problems. The retained list needs to be as small as possible this summer to give McInnes something to work with.

Let's be honest Pearson is average but still better than Woolford.

Totally agree. Started well but match by match has gone backwards. Funnily enough there was a Derby fan who mentioned the name John Stead when we signed Pearson? Evidently just like Stead, whichever club Pearson has gone to he has started really well but then gets slowly average?

If limited funds are available then I would hope we would not put to many of our precious eggs in the Pearson basket....................................

Totally agree. Started well but match by match has gone backwards. Funnily enough there was a Derby fan who mentioned the name John Stead when we signed Pearson? Evidently just like Stead, whichever club Pearson has gone to he has started really well but then gets slowly average?

If limited funds are available then I would hope we would not put to many of our precious eggs in the Pearson basket....................................

Our worst performance under McInnes was against Derby, that was without Pearson available.

You could quite easily say that since the Southampton game, which was what, Pearson's 3rd game, most of our team have steadily gone backwards couldn't you - Including Adomah and Maynard?

It would make sense to have him in on loan until the end of the season. Whether Derby will be happy with that is another matter because I doubt we are paying all of his wages.

Our worst performance under McInnes was against Derby, that was without Pearson available.

You could quite easily say that since the Southampton game, which was what, Pearson's 3rd game, most of our team have steadily gone backwards couldn't you - Including Adomah and Maynard?

It would make sense to have him in on loan until the end of the season. Whether Derby will be happy with that is another matter because I doubt we are paying all of his wages.

Starting to believe in their own hype. As soon as the players came out in public spouting the usual rubbish about unbeaten runs, we are buzzing, feel like we can't be beat, then the alarm bells started ringing. They haven't played poorly but some of the urgency has gone and they have stopped pinging the ball around so quickly.

I say don't believe your own hype, and get those energy levels and pace of passing back and forget all the usual press soundbites, just concentrate on your own game.

Just a few little adjustments and we'll be okay

Still dubious about Pearson.

I know he offers balance, he's got a good engine to get up and down the pitch etc. but I'm not sure what he offers as an individual footballer.

I'd go for the extended loan, if anything, because in my book he hasn't done enough to prove himself so far, and I'd like to think Del has someone else in mind long term if he feels Woolford isn't the answer.

Pearson would come under a lot more scrutiny from the fans if he was signed permanently and I'm not sure he'd remain a popular figure.

Still dubious about Pearson.

I know he offers balance, he's got a good engine to get up and down the pitch etc. but I'm not sure what he offers as an individual footballer.

I'd go for the extended loan, if anything, because in my book he hasn't done enough to prove himself so far, and I'd like to think Del has someone else in mind long term if he feels Woolford isn't the answer.

Pearson would come under a lot more scrutiny from the fans if he was signed permanently and I'm not sure he'd remain a popular figure.

I'm in complete agreement Nogbad. Pearson hasn't convinced me yet either and a loan to end of the season would the best option imo. By then we'd have a clearer picture of what he can provide week in week out and maybe he'd deserve a contract then, maybe not......

I'm in complete agreement Nogbad. Pearson hasn't convinced me yet either and a loan to end of the season would the best option imo. By then we'd have a clearer picture of what he can provide week in week out and maybe he'd deserve a contract then, maybe not......

I doubt many would be against extending the loan, but Clough seemed to be intimating City wanted to sign him permanently next month.

It's not as though his signature is being sought by a host of clubs so if we extend the loan the ball would be very much in Pearson's court to prove without doubt he would be an asset to City long term.

We can take our time, assess how past injuries and increasing age are taking their toll on his effectiveness, and decide for or against at the end of the season.

I'd agree it's far from certain he'd merit a permanent contract unless there's a fair bit still to come from him.

Archived