IGNORED

Sorry Del Many Don't Agree

Red Robin

With two up front we lose, simples

Simple solution play the right players in their right positions and we will have a fighting chance.As it stands we ain't going to score many goals with the way this team is being set up.

I believe we have a squad of players more than capable of keeping us in the division.

Play round pegs into round holes,play square pegs in square holes.

McInnes hasn't been watching as long as us - hence he probably isn't quite as frustrated. He wasn't around when Maynard went 10 games without a goal and still got selected as first choice striker.

The frustration for me is not that he is leaving and still getting selected, it's that he is under performing, not scoring and basically contributing nothing - yet he still gets the nod. I don't buy this crap about his mobility and pace, I paid particular attention to this the last few games and especially at Coventry, he is not that quick and his closing down is often half arsed. He has managed 4 goals in his last 19 games and has actually only managed to score in 5 of the 23 games he has participated in this season.

It's simple - his performances don't warrant a starting place right now and somebody else deserves a crack - regardless of the ongoing contract saga.

If I was Brett Pitman, I would be knocking on the managers door and saying - look, give me a chance, I want to play or find me football elsewhere. Fortunately it appears as though Pitman has more patience than me but he is going to get disillusioned with it sooner or later.

So, 4 goals in 19 games and he is still getting picked - that's why people are frustrated Del, it's not simply about the contract.

Eloquently put Kibs. I agree with every word.

Ive got belief and patience, we have a squad that is good enough to remain in this league, no more no less.

The hysteria surrounding the rest of it is what really grates. Never have I known such a disconnect between the manager (new), the players and the fans (who are on the back of pretty much everyone) because we may get relegated

If we go down, we go down. It happens. No one is immune from it just because some have got it into their heads that we have a divine right to stay in this league, they take it out on all and sundry instead.

There was never this vitriol in the mid 1990's and never again when we went down in 97/98 when ever it was. Now its just pure hate, for hates sake. Its not showing care or passion. Its hate and emotion getting in the way of any rational thought so everything and the kitchen sink can be thrown at players and the clube because some have decided that they are some how fighting against them

Woah, calm down, has anyone ever been allowed an opinion when in your company?

People have every right to hold an opinion on the things happening at the club, whatever is said on this forum will be being talked about in peoples homes, in the supermarket, in the pub and a lot don't read the forum. Just because you don't happen to agree with what they say it doesn't make you right. People will always talk about their football club, you may find some of them negative comments others see the comments as constructive, just gossip, or throw away remarks. I'm sure most of the comments you read are genuine concerns for their football club, no malice intended, the Maynard opinion some share with me is, it is damaging the club in the long run pandering to him. That's an opinion you don't share obviously, don't pretend these things weren't being said in the past because they were, I remember Ian Baird getting loads, Tinnion, Scott Mcgarvey, Sean Dyche, I could go on all night naming players. It's nothing new, chairman have had stick, complete boards have too, even the pie sellers. Who cares, it's just the average football fan letting off a bit of steam. If we go down it will be par for the course, we have rarely stayed in this division for more than 5 years at a time. Is that negative to say that.

Woah, calm down, has anyone ever been allowed an opinion when in your company?

People have every right to hold an opinion on the things happening at the club, whatever is said on this forum will be being talked about in peoples homes, in the supermarket, in the pub and a lot don't read the forum. Just because you don't happen to agree with what they say it doesn't make you right. People will always talk about their football club, you may find some of them negative comments others see the comments as constructive, just gossip, or throw away remarks. I'm sure most of the comments you read are genuine concerns for their football club, no malice intended, the Maynard opinion some share with me is, it is damaging the club in the long run pandering to him. That's an opinion you don't share obviously, don't pretend these things weren't being said in the past because they were, I remember Ian Baird getting loads, Tinnion, Scott Mcgarvey, Sean Dyche, I could go on all night naming players. It's nothing new, chairman have had stick, complete boards have too, even the pie sellers. Who cares, it's just the average football fan letting off a bit of steam. If we go down it will be par for the course, we have rarely stayed in this division for more than 5 years at a time. Is that negative to say that.

Hope you don't. Del is in one hell of a situation and at least now your above the bottom three. hope you guys stay up, and build a team. all the best!

Can't be arsed to read all replies so sorry if mentioned already. if we don't play Maynard he's not in the shop window, then he leaves for nothing.He must play during jan. Maybe not whole games. He will be more motivated than ever before as he's after the cash/dream (depending on your viewpoint on him).

Teams panic buy every year in jan. Fact.

I can only assume the grovelling continues because the club hope no Prem club will want him and he will change his mind and sign. Given his current form there are strong grounds for dropping him even if he had not said he wanted out but it seems he is calling the shots still. I find it disappointingly weak of the club and it must surely cause resentment among other players.:disapointed2se:

"Like"

The Maynard apologists on here can't seem to accept that there are a lot of supporters, who are not filled with hate or vitriol or any other OTT emotion against Maynard or anyone else for that matter, but are of the opinion that they would like to see Pitman given an extended run in the starting line-up.

Simply because, it can't be any worse than the way we have been playing, in front of goal, with NM being selected every week.

That's it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you are happy to mess about with stats.. he has scored 3 in his last 10 :D so 1 in in 3.33333 Loving how things are being manipulated for a reaction on here, its great

Funnily enough the 1 in 3 extrapolates over the season as a team we have scored 21 goals this season Maynard has 7, which is er 1 in 3 goals scored for the team thus far are from Maynards Boot

Pitman has scored er, 1 in the last 10 appearances ( or 2 goals in the last 14 if you prefer) and has scored 3 this season which is er, 1 in 7 of our goals.

Wonderous

I never quoted any stats, but you can't say Brett's appearances at the very tail end of games equate to the permanent starts NM has enjoyed under McInnes.

I've never argued that Brett is 'better' than Maynard - and I certainly don't subscribe to the view that we have to drop someone because they see their future elsewhere.

However, Nicky's now been on the pitch for more than 430 minutes without scoring and I think it might be reasonable to try a new approach.

Maynard's a class player. He's just out of form at present and as he won't be part of our future, maybe we should start settling in the man who will?

McInnes hasn't been watching as long as us - hence he probably isn't quite as frustrated. He wasn't around when Maynard went 10 games without a goal and still got selected as first choice striker.

The frustration for me is not that he is leaving and still getting selected, it's that he is under performing, not scoring and basically contributing nothing - yet he still gets the nod. I don't buy this crap about his mobility and pace, I paid particular attention to this the last few games and especially at Coventry, he is not that quick and his closing down is often half arsed.

The service to him at Coventry was as bad as it's been for a while & in the first half certainly he was sliding in for tackles in forward areas a number of times, maybe people see what they want to see?

I never quoted any stats, but you can't say Brett's appearances at the very tail end of games equate to the permanent starts NM has enjoyed under McInnes.

I've never argued that Brett is 'better' than Maynard - and I certainly don't subscribe to the view that we have to drop someone because they see their future elsewhere.

However, Nicky's now been on the pitch for more than 430 minutes without scoring and I think it might be reasonable to try a new approach.

Maynard's a class player. He's just out of form at present and as he won't be part of our future, maybe we should start settling in the man who will?

We'll have to wait for January for Del to purchase this player...

Flipping the discussion on its head, what has Pitman done to warrant inclusion?

You like statistics so lets look at matches started to goals scored.

On that basis last season Pitman scored at about twice the rate that Maynard has this season: 13 goals in 21 starts compared to Maynard's 7 goals in 23. We won't bother to include sub. appearances because for some reason your golden boy never seems to get benched however dreadfully he performs.whistle.gif

Pitman is a natural goalscorer, he doesn't rely on wonder goals and he's clearly superior to Maynard when it comes to taking run of the mill chances. He's capable of netting similar goals to Maynard but that's a bonus in his case, not a near necessity to even get on the score sheet.

We wouldn't be replacing Maynard with an unproven novice like Akinde, Pitman is a Championship proven goalscorer and fully merits the overdue opportunity to replace the malfunctioning Maynard.

The service to him at Coventry was as bad as it's been for a while & in the first half certainly he was sliding in for tackles in forward areas a number of times, maybe people see what they want to see?

Of course they only tend to see what they want to see....for the record, I only saw him do that once.

I agree though, the service was rubbish.

Yeha, unfortunately, the board didnt bring through Kibs's post you agreed with and the Maynard stats you highlighted hence why it seems out of kilter cest la ve

Ive never said one is better than the other either, just provided stats to show what is what.

Brett hasnt scored in 168 mins either, coming off the bench

As Ive tried to relay about 53 million times roughly, piling the blame on the sole striker is utterly ludicrous, because the formation we play means that the midfield should chip in with more goals and what not, instead the fans have been bamboozled into dropping the striker because he isnt scoring better than one in 3

To put it into perspective before he broke his leg, David Villa scored 5 in 15 games for Barce in La Liga this season, which according to some is enough to Pillor as its the same ratio that both Maynard and Pitman have in the league, 1 in 3 and went through a period of scoring 1 in 8. This is from one of the best strikers in the world playing for the Best Team in the world. The difference is that 'other' players score for the team, barca have scored something like 60 goals.. So Villa has scored 1 in 12.

But stuff like that passes us by as its ALL the strikers fault.

The difference being, David villa does an awful lot more than chip in with occasional goal. If Nicky Maynard is not scoring, he isn't doing alot else.

There is nothing wrong with the stats I provided, they are 100% correct. As are yours I suspect.

It's simple, some people feel somebody else should be given an opportunity, and some, especially you, do not.

Just a matter of opinion......

I do agree though, there are no goals in this team. The midfield and defence rarely contribute and that is a huge problem.

Last season to this season okay, fair comparison, not?

Maynard last year 11 appearances in total ( inc Subs) 6 goals which is just over 1 in 2

Pitman 43 appearances in total( 25+18) 16 goals 1 in every 2.7 ish

This season

Maynard (23+0) 23 appearances, 7 goals 1 in 3.28

Pitman (5+16) 21 appearances 3 goals which is 1 in 7

Im not really sure how one in 3 is malfunctioning especially given our lowly league position?

You will have to point me in the direction of where my 'golden boy' is

So how many games / anonimous performances will it take before you think somebody else should get a crack up front?

And why do you appear to be so against someone else having a chance?

Genuinely interested.

We'll have to wait for January for Del to purchase this player...

I agree that we might look a whole different side with a robust midfielder with distribution skills brought in, but even before that I'd rather not watch more games with us using the formula that has failed all December. We are losing games we should be winning, so let's try something new.

Anonymous? As said there is a reason behind that, playing 4-5-1 means that the striker shouldnt have responsibility to score, every single game

As for being rubbish, I tend to see a player who is doing as best he can given the service he is getting and choosing to ignore the hoardes calling for his head over the contract etc even if they say its on current form, as if they are honest Pitman has been playing naff as well ( thats trying to be objective), and trust the managers judgement. If the manager drops him vs Saints, then so be it.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I agree that we might look a whole different side with a robust midfielder with distribution skills brought in, but even before that I'd rather not watch more games with us using the formula that has failed all December. We are losing games we should be winning, so let's try something new.

I bloody hope so Robbo, Our midfield is nothing short of disgraceful in terms of its contribution to the goals column or the assists column. I'd happily see how much we could get for Marvin now and try flog most of the fringe players. In fact there are about 6 players in the entire squad that I would be desperate to keep, the rest I would happily see leave and never return.

For the record the 6 would be: Maynard, Pitman, Cisse, Nyatanga and Fontaine and Albert. Wilson, Reid, Stead and Kilkenny can stay if they want but I wouldn't be at all gutted if not. We've been crying out for a whole new outlook and players like Marvin Elliot, Cole Skuse, Carey, Macca, et al have been here too long or contributed too little. Start from scratch.

As for being rubbish, I tend to see a player who is doing as best he can given the service he is getting and choosing to ignore the hoardes calling for his head over the contract etc even if they say its on current form, as if they are honest Pitman has been playing naff as well ( thats trying to be objective), and trust the managers judgement. If the manager drops him vs Saints, then so be it.

At the moment, then, his best is not very good. Yes, there are problems elsewhere in the team, including the service from midfield, but that doesn't explain Maynard's tendency to stand still when our defence/midfield are looking for someone to pass to, or his failure to anticipate where the ball might be going next.

I've spent alot of time watching what NM does off the ball this season (and indeed since he joined us). Poor movement has been a weakness for his whole time here, and apart from a few games last season, has never really improved. It is definitely part of the problem with our team at the moment.

He's not well suited to being the lone striker, as he isn't strong enough to hold the ball up, and doesn't often enough make himself available to receive the ball from the defence/midfield. But his poor movement and anticipation are shortcomings whatever formation we're playing.

Would Pitman be better as a lone striker? I don't know. I do know, though, that Pitman's movement, anticipation and link play have been streets ahead of Maynard's just about every time I've seen him. And that Maynard has played very poorly for most of this season. Not just "hasn't scored", but hasn't contributed much to the team.

So I'd like to see Pitman get more pitch time, as he couldn't be much worse than NM at the moment, and there are reasons to believe he might be quite a lot better. Ten minute runouts at the end of games really aren't enough to make an impression, as anyone who's played the game knows. Even so, there has been more than one game this season where BP has looked more dangerous in 10-20 minutes than NM has in 70-80 - at least when BP has been allowed to play as a striker: those like yourself who try to argue that BP has as poor a scoring record as NM this season should remember that, bizarrely, a fair bit of BP's pitch time has involved him playing left side of midfield, from where he could hardly be expected to score hatfuls.

Just to be clear, my comments have nothing to do with the contract situation. I don't think NM has done anything wrong in running down his contract and don't think he should be dropped for choosing not to sign an extension. If you look hard enough you could find a thread from a couple of months ago where I make that clear, and my view hasn't changed.

And I'm not suggesting that he isn't trying: as I've said, poor movement has been a weakness for as long as he's been with us. I've no real idea whether he's busting a gut - I just think he's reverted to type.

I don't think BP is the messiah, and there's no guarantee that our results will improve if he starts. But at the moment, our team is not functioning, and one of the parts of the team that isn't working is NM. Something needs to be changed, and one logical thing to change would be to give BP a few games up front.

So vs 2 defenders on his own and so on, and he must have psychic powers as well. you dont want much then.? If he moves like you say you want, we will have 0 up front, meaning that the midfield would have to come further upfield and move and pass and stuff, all the things they are currently rubbish at, so again that seems to me at least, like its a midfield issue rather than just an upfront issue.

Poor movement has been a weakness his whole time, yet he manages to have 1 in 2 when fit last season and 1 in 3 thus far this season and scored before that. Clearly all this movement issues is detrimental to the entire squad. Excuse my incredulity, but it does seem like nit picking for the sake of it, trying to justify shoehorning a different player into the squad.

He doesnt often make himself available for balls from defence and midfield? Do you mean chasing aimless hoof's or wayward passes, generally, leaving him no where to go and no one to pass on to? Again this is a midfield problem with positioning and so forth.

Again this poor movement and anticipation problems you mention dont appear to have stopped him scoring totally, even given the crap service etc etc 1in 3 isnt bad is it

Maynard, hasnt played too badly in a team that has done faff all all season, yes he has been rubbish at times, but there isnt one player in the team who hasnt been rubbish thus far at some points. He has had to lead the line with naff all service and try and get something out of nothing. Seriously are people expecting super human performances every game? What do you want as a contribution. 2 seperate managers have now picked Maynard over Pitman, there must be a reason for that? If Pitman, was in the same position would he get as much stick? No. He isnt even getting any/much stick for being off the boil now, because people are becoming utterly fixated with the Maynard thing.

Furthermore, if a 1 in 3 average is poor, what is good?

As discussed extensively, when Pitman starts, his goal record is pants, and the team hasnt wont thus far this season, when he has started, infact he has been part of some our worst games this season and that was as striker not left mid. Im not saying he shouldnt be given a chance but trying to be objective for a moment he isnt in great form either and when he has started we have been gubbins. Plus as mentioned 2 different managers havent started him, despite what the fans seem to want.

He could start and Saints tomorrow and score a hatful, and that would be great, it would be nice to have something to cheer, but I dont get this unwaivering optimism that he will be the answer, when clearly the management dont seem to think he is either, or would have played more?

Something does need to change and it isnt the striker, its the midfield, get that more creative and flexible and ANY striker should be able to be more useful, without sorting that, its more a hit and hope, and may yield some promise, but it doesnt actually solve the problem and is papering over existing deficiancies. Once midfield has been sorted, then, then look at the options upfront, or we will be doing it ass about face all over again

Yes yes yes we get it.

You seem to think It's everyones fault EXCEPT poor little Nicky's.

I'm certain that Nicky Maynard himself wouldn't shy away from accepting his share of responsibility for the teams poor position and performances. He seems a pretty level headed guy.

Er, no. I dont, read it properly. I said ANY striker is going to struggle playing the way we do, or is that not something that computes readily?

And yes, I do lay a lot of the blame at the midfield, because that is where our major weakness is currently in terms of both defending and attacking. Its not exactly rocket science to say sort that out so that they are more creative and cohesive and that the goals will follow for whomever is up front rather than taking it out specifically on whoever plays alone upfront because they arent scoring 56 each and every game.

Strikers cant score if they arent getting the service and at present whether that is Pitman or Maynard they arent, We cant rely on miracles and wondergoals all the time, and what people are saying in general from the conversations in this thread is seeming exactly what they want. More movement, more anticipation, more goals and so on. Its nigh on impossible for that to happen in a 1 vs 4 situation or however many defenders the lone striker is playing against if they arent getting support from a useless midfield in the formation we currently play. Even when we go to 4-4-2 the strikers arent getting the service as seen by the woeful number of shots they have playing that way. So sort the midfield out et Voila

It's OK Mrs Maynard, you can stop posting now, we hear you! laughcont.gif

No, seriously mate, you and I do agree on one thing and that is we need that commanding midfielder to make the team tick. Let's hope we get him fingerscrossed.gif

Er, no. I dont, read it properly. I said ANY striker is going to struggle playing the way we do, or is that not something that computes

I couldn't be bothered to be honest, I just assumed you had written the same ultra sensitive, defensive, won't open your eyes to other peoples opinion that may be valid too, type of post as you have to most other posts that question Nicky Maynard.

And I was right.

So vs 2 defenders on his own and so on, and he must have psychic powers as well. you dont want much then.? If he moves like you say you want, we will have 0 up front, meaning that the midfield would have to come further upfield and move and pass and stuff, all the things they are currently rubbish at, so again that seems to me at least, like its a midfield issue rather than just an upfront issue.

You don't need psychic powers to anticipate where the ball might go next. It's a pretty fundamental football skill, especially for a striker, and one that NM hasn't demonstrated very much this season. I'd like the midfield to come further up the pitch (as they were doing when we had our good run a few games ago). Sometimes they need to be helped to do that by the striker coming deep to link the play. NM is not to blame for the midfield playing too deep, but he's part of the reason it happens.

Poor movement has been a weakness his whole time, yet he manages to have 1 in 2 when fit last season and 1 in 3 thus far this season and scored before that. Clearly all this movement issues is detrimental to the entire squad. Excuse my incredulity, but it does seem like nit picking for the sake of it, trying to justify shoehorning a different player into the squad.

I'm not trying to shoehorn anybody into the team, I'm trying to give my point of view, which is based on actually watching the games rather than just on stats. He played well when he came back into the team last season. He hasn't played well often this season.

He doesnt often make himself available for balls from defence and midfield? Do you mean chasing aimless hoof's or wayward passes, generally, leaving him no where to go and no one to pass on to? Again this is a midfield problem with positioning and so forth.

Again this poor movement and anticipation problems you mention dont appear to have stopped him scoring totally, even given the crap service etc etc 1in 3 isnt bad is it

If you're playing as a lone striker, coming back towards the midfield sometimes to offer an easy pass is an important part of your game (especially if you're not strong enough to hold off defenders consistently). NM doesn't often do it. Some of those "aimless hoofs" happen because the player in possession has no easy option. That is certainly partly the fault of the midfield, but it's also partly that NM doesn't offer an outlet.

Maynard, hasnt played too badly in a team that has done faff all all season, yes he has been rubbish at times, but there isnt one player in the team who hasnt been rubbish thus far at some points. He has had to lead the line with naff all service and try and get something out of nothing. Seriously are people expecting super human performances every game? What do you want as a contribution. 2 seperate managers have now picked Maynard over Pitman, there must be a reason for that? If Pitman, was in the same position would he get as much stick? No. He isnt even getting any/much stick for being off the boil now, because people are becoming utterly fixated with the Maynard thing.

How do we know BP's off the boil? I've always believed that strikers in particular need three or four games to get fully match sharp. BP hasn't had that this season.

As discussed extensively, when Pitman starts, his goal record is pants, and the team hasnt wont thus far this season, when he has started, infact he has been part of some our worst games this season and that was as striker not left mid. Im not saying he shouldnt be given a chance but trying to be objective for a moment he isnt in great form either and when he has started we have been gubbins. Plus as mentioned 2 different managers havent started him, despite what the fans seem to want.

But you clearly don't think he should be given a chance, and that however badly NM plays and however unlikely it appears that he will score, he should always be picked, because it's all the fault of the team around him, not himself. I didn't understand why KM persevered with him during his dreadful form earlier in the season, and I wonder how long DM will stick with him now. I've every faith that DM will turn into one of City's best managers. That doesn't mean he will get everything right, and it doesn't mean I haven't seen what I have seen, as I described it.

I won't be booing NM and I hope he hits some form for us before he leaves, whenever that is.

He could start and Saints tomorrow and score a hatful, and that would be great, it would be nice to have something to cheer, but I dont get this unwaivering optimism that he will be the answer, when clearly the management dont seem to think he is either, or would have played more?

Where in my post is that unwavering optimism? I'm not sure BP will be better as a lone striker than NM - but at the moment he couldn't be much worse, which is why I'd like to see BP given more pitch time, to find out what he might do. And I've seen enough of BP to have reason to think he might bring more to the team than NM is at the moment. The manager doesn't agree, and he's the one paid to make the decisions. I won't be losing any sleep over the manager not doing what I'd do - but it won't stop me having an opinion.

Something does need to change and it isnt the striker, its the midfield, get that more creative and flexible and ANY striker should be able to be more useful, without sorting that, its more a hit and hope, and may yield some promise, but it doesnt actually solve the problem and is papering over existing deficiancies. Once midfield has been sorted, then, then look at the options upfront, or we will be doing it ass about face all over again

Something does need to change, and it might be the midfield and the striker. We can agree that the midfield is inadequate and needs to change. But that doesn't alter my view that NM is part of the problem, and that another player might do better with the inadequate support being given to our striker at the moment. It would be nice if we could sort out the midfield to allow us to play 4-4-2 (which might require us to replace both Elliott and Kilkenny), in which case any striker is, of course, likely to do better. But we're not there at the moment.

I really think the best thing that could happen now is for NM to move early in January, so that (hopefully) we can use any money we get to strengthen the team (which may involve a different striker coming in to play alongside or instead of BP, or might just require two new midfielders).

I didn't expect you to agree with me, as you clearly have a very strong loyalty to NM for some reason. I was just trying to put the other side of the argument, as someone who isn't influenced by dislike of NM, and has no particular loyalty to BP. I don't spend enough time on here to get involved in an extended debate (and there's no point, as neither of us is going to change our views). But I'm not the only one on here who thinks NM is lucky to have stayed in the team all season, for reasons that have nothing to do with the contract situation.

Maynard wants out-we need the cash. We can't afford to have him injured so for that reason alone he should now be dropped and only reconsidered for selection at the end of January if he's not moved on. We are desparate for goals, 9 in 11 home games is not going to keep us up, so I would go with the two guys that have the best goals to minutes ratio, Pitman and Clarkson, in a 4-4-1-1.

Archived