IGNORED

Three Brothers Sign For Chelsea

screech

Not sure what to think of the story on the BBC website here of three brothers aged 12 and 13 signing for Chelsea youth in a deal that could reach £1m for Luton Town. I understand there is not a rule being broken but these are very young boys who shouldn't be able to be transferred for any money, it smells a bit like exploitation and into the murky realms of child labour to me. I kind of see the excitement for the boys to move to Chelsea and develop there, they will obviously be put in with better kids and better training facilities and should become better players, I just have an issue with money being exchanged for them. Anyone else feel this is a bit wrong?

Yes. Top clubs are farming youngsters. Thankfully I doubt they'll stoop as low as the French system of pulling in thousands of African kids and dumping them at 19 but it just ain't right even if it's localish kids. What's the point of Luton having a youth system

As they are helping to keep the club afloat. Almost 200k has been exchanged here, which could be morally wrong but they are more likely to get better being under Chelsea's guidance than Luton's. Its technically a transfer for the youth team, if thats what they have offered Luton then fair play.

What's the point of Luton having a youth system

To make money, that is the bottom line! The flip side is to save money which essentially amounts to the same thing. If they can bring through youth players (without clubs snapping them up) then they have no signing on fee (and they pay low wages for the first few years).

I think Chelsea 'bought' one of Kev Scott's sons (correct me if I am wrong)

Ok look at it this way, if clubs are paying for children they're going to expect a return on their investment. Can they be trusted to act in the child's best interest? What if the child just enjoys playing football, and at 14 would rather play on a Saturday with his friends?

Would rather play on Saturday with his friends than play for Chelsea? Nice thought but can't see it. I'm not saying that this is right by the way, just commenting on that point.

Ok look at it this way, if clubs are paying for children they're going to expect a return on their investment. Can they be trusted to act in the child's best interest? What if the child just enjoys playing football, and at 14 would rather play on a Saturday with his friends?

I think some people (and I don't mean you AVIA) have a view of academies as some kind of ruthless football factory but in my experience it is not like that at all. Most kids make friends quickly and playing in an academy simply extends their group of friends. They form new relationships and enjoy playing with the academy and their academy mates.

I think things may have been different 'in the old days' from stories I have heard but from personal experience, it is not like that (from what I have seen).

Only part of their weekends are taken up by academy football (depending on the location of the match!). They normally have a good laugh on the coach if it is an away trip, play a game and have a laugh on the way home.

If they want to play footy with their mates on a Saturday then they can but they are also benefiting from good coaching and more life experience whilst they are at the academy.

I think some people (and I don't mean you AVIA) have a view of academies as some kind of ruthless football factory but in my experience it is not like that at all. Most kids make friends quickly and playing in an academy simply extends their group of friends. They form new relationships and enjoy playing with the academy and their academy mates.

I think things may have been different 'in the old days' from stories I have heard but from personal experience, it is not like that (from what I have seen).

Only part of their weekends are taken up by academy football (depending on the location of the match!). They normally have a good laugh on the coach if it is an away trip, play a game and have a laugh on the way home.

If they want to play footy with their mates on a Saturday then they can but they are also benefiting from good coaching and more life experience whilst they are at the academy.

All well and good, but are they free to pack it in at a moments notice or is there some kind of contract. You know how temperamental lads of that age can be.

Not sure what to think of the story on the BBC website here of three brothers aged 12 and 13 signing for Chelsea youth in a deal that could reach £1m for Luton Town. I understand there is not a rule being broken but these are very young boys who shouldn't be able to be transferred for any money, it smells a bit like exploitation and into the murky realms of child labour to me. I kind of see the excitement for the boys to move to Chelsea and develop there, they will obviously be put in with better kids and better training facilities and should become better players, I just have an issue with money being exchanged for them. Anyone else feel this is a bit wrong?

The business of football is out of control. But these kids could turn around today and say they want to do something better with there life than kicking a ball about and Chelsea wouldn't be able to stop them and that investment would be down the drain.

This country is on a seemingly never ending path to creating markets where they shouldn't be be. Why not have a market for talented child footballers?

It is noticeable how poor the big clubs have been bringing kids through. Most of the England squad went through Academies at smaller clubs.

My son also 8 has just signed for Rovers. The contract takes effect on the thrid Saturday of April this year and he is not allowed to play for any other 'club' after this date. He is allowed to play for the school or County but not a club.

I totally agree with the fact that his mates are at the Centre of Excellence at Rovers and I asked him several times over the months as to what he preferred and where wouldd he rather play. It started with his club but gradullay turned in to Rovers. He loves it there, gets on really well with the kids and coaches and is very much settled. Oh and he is a season ticket holder at Ashton Gate and his mum promises not to hang the kit out on the line :surrender:

The changes to club football at youth level in 2013/14 and also the academies and C of E next season being scrapped and a catagorisation system coming in to place is to bring in line our football 'system' (for want of a better word) with those in successful Eurpoean countries.

Take a look at the Premier League and even now creeping in to the Championship and see how many English grown players there are. The England national team has massively under achieved in recent times and changes to the process we develop kids must change.

Whether you are for or against kids being developed in the way they are now or the future, something must change to bring through the talent at a young age and develop them like they have been doing in Spain, Germany, Holland and many other countries.

Contracting them has been done for many years and used to be called 'School Boy Forms' and there isn't a lot of difference, they just do it at a younger age. The age used to be 12 but it was recognised that once they get to a certain age they incorporate bad habbits obtained in club football and it was very difficult to knock it out their system. Taking them on at 8 years old or before 12, they can develop them without the bad habbits or develop them removing the bad habbits.

MM

I think you will find it is better than our academy which is shameful.

Yes, it's true - something drastic needs to be done with our academy, and scouting for that matter. Apologies and no offence meant - just couldn't resist an easy joke at Rovers' expense. Believe the word is 'oxymoron'.

Good luck to MM junior - I take it he's had to play in the dreaded quarters.

Yes, it's true - something drastic needs to be done with our academy, and scouting for that matter. Apologies and no offence meant - just couldn't resist an easy joke at Rovers' expense. Believe the word is 'oxymoron'.

Good luck to MM junior - I take it he's had to play in the dreaded quarters.

No offence taken and when scouted at the early age of 6 I thought Rovers...no way. Scouted in the shadows of the holy grail of Ashton Gate as well :dunno:

Yes, he first play away at Bournemouth in September 2010 and all the City fan Dads said "prepare yourself it's a shock mind" my reply was, "nah, it'll be fine". He then came out the tunnel in the quarters and my heart sunk :disapointed2se: But I am used to it now and we are both settled. The coaches up there are brilliant and I can't speak highly enough of them and the way they deal with and support the kids.

He had a choice of City and Rovers to be honest and neither of us were initially impressed with City and he was already settled at Rovers. He didn't look upon it as I am a City supporter, I want to play in the red and white, he seen it as a way of playing his football...all at the age of 7!

Very proud dad am I :city:

MM

I have no gripe where these kids play, I have no gripe that they have been transferred to another club, I do have a real problem that the club has traded money for their services at just 12 and 13 years of age. I can't get my head around that football is prepared to do money deals for children of this age, it doesn't sit with me very well at all.

Hard to enforce a contract that involves a child.

I've just looked back 60 years to John Atyeo signing for City at the age of 19. Remember in those days you were not considered an adult until your 21st birthday.

There were six conditions to his contract; the second of these was he should be allowed to live at home and continue his apprenticeship as a quantity surveyor.

Nr 6 was Bristol City not to put him on the transfer list without the consent of John's father. The League refused to accept that condition and it had to be withdrawnfrom the contract.

Archived