IGNORED

The 'not The Nicky Maynard' Thread...........

42nite

Anyway, I can't see it being a 0-0 draw. Doncaster had 5 attacking players on the pitch against Cardiff and I assume they'll do the same against us.

And what was the scoreline in that Donny v Cardiff game?!?!

Can't believe people are saying 'no way it will be 0-0', it has 0-0 written all over it!

OP is spot on, neither team will want to lose this game so expect a tight encounter with 1 goal in it if we're lucky.

It'll play very similar to the Forest home game.

1Without wanting to ruin your amazing argument here, but last season we were still very much in danger of getting relegated (according to a lot of fans on here) until Nicky came back into the side and scored a fantastic run of goals that coincided with a brilliant run to steer us to midtable.

2That isn't a fact at all. Your opinion perhaps but it has absolutely no factual basis.

next.

Nicky did indeed come in and do well - but we were pretty much safe - 8 points clear of the bottom 3 infact - another 8 points from that point and we were safe (from 16 games)..... Nicky did not save us from relegation - we were on that path without him. He was superb when he made his comeback tho....

you are correct, its not a fact....but it is clear to us who dont pander to him, that his head is elsewhere....

Nicky did indeed come in and do well - but we were pretty much safe - 8 points clear of the bottom 3 infact - another 8 points from that point and we were safe (from 16 games)..... Nicky did not save us from relegation - we were on that path without him. He was superb when he made his comeback tho....

you are correct, its not a fact....but it is clear to us who dont pander to him, that his head is elsewhere....

and to those of us that actually attend games and were at Brighton

Hmm, well Millen was in charge, we were doomed, people wanted the manager sacked, people thought we were down if nothing changed... something did change, our best player came back from injury and fired us up the table so that the prospect of relegation (however realistic) completely disappeared and some fans even thought it possible to force our way into the play-offs...

Well, it is equally clear to those of us who are not clouded by an irrational hatred that this season he has, despite the persistent vitriol and lies aimed at him, put 100% in. This might not have been the case at Brighton, neither of us know as neither of us went. But on numerous occasions this season people have come away from AG crying about Maynard's supposed lack of effort when in reality he has run his socks off for the cause.

Our 'fans' are amongst the ficklest in the football league... I bet you cheered like mad when the Millwall goal went in didn't you? zzz

Anyway, screw it. we'll see saturday. If he is really not putting the effort in anymore then Derek wont pick him.

I think he was referring to JT, as he was not at Brighton yet still thinks maynard is awesome and Pitman is shit.

Ah, of course. One game proves all. Well if that's the case, Honey, then we'll just use Millwall at home. Pitman was ****. Maynard was good and scored our goal. Using your rules, that's the argument won. Cheers.

I'm basing my opinion of Maynard on the player I have seen in a City shirt. This season, last season, the season before and the season before that. I'm also basing my opinion of Pitman (Which isn't that he's shit) on the fact that he is incapable, in my view, of playing as a lone striker and we don't have the midfield to play 4-4-2. The only way to get the best out of Pitman and retain a 5 man midfield is to play 3 at the back (Something I would actually be in favour of) but to change the entire formation simply to fit a player who isn't head and shoulders above the other strikers is pointless. There is the logic behind my assertion that Pitman is not the answer.

Sign two decent central midfielders then great, play him. He's a good finisher, has a relatively decent touch but is slow and lazy when the opposition have the ball...

Hmm, well Millen was in charge, we were doomed, people wanted the manager sacked, people thought we were down if nothing changed... something did change, our best player came back from injury and fired us up the table so that the prospect of relegation (however realistic) completely disappeared and some fans even thought it possible to force our way into the play-offs...

Like I said, he played is part - but he did not save us from relegation - we coped without him, goalscoring wise...

Well, it is equally clear to those of us who are not clouded by an irrational hatred that this season he has, despite the persistent vitriol and lies aimed at him, put 100% in. This might not have been the case at Brighton, neither of us know as neither of us went. But on numerous occasions this season people have come away from AG crying about Maynard's supposed lack of effort when in reality he has run his socks off for the cause

He did not run his socks off at crawley, I was there and his overall performance was very poor. He may not be purposely playing badly, but he did look uninterested.

I do not have an irrational hatred of the guy - I havent forgot what he is capable of - but he's not been near that level for a long time.

Dont you think you have an irrational love for a guy who wants to leave the team you support?!

Our 'fans' are amongst the ficklest in the football league... I bet you cheered like mad when the Millwall goal went in didn't you? zzz

Pearsons goal you mean? whoever got that goal, Bristol City scored... of course I celebrated, why would'nt I? nothing fickle about it - its not like I have "irrational hatred" of the guy :innocent06:

Anyway, screw it. we'll see saturday. If he is really not putting the effort in anymore then Derek wont pick him.

I fully expect maynard to be dropped. Okay I was'nt at Brighton, but I was at crawley and he deserved to be dropped after that - and it does not sound like he did any better at Brighton.

If he does not get dropped, there is something very wrong IMO.

Ah, of course. One game proves all. Well if that's the case, Honey, then we'll just use Millwall at home. Pitman was ****. Maynard was good and scored our goal. Using your rules, that's the argument won. Cheers.

Its not one game though is it Jordan?

I'm basing my opinion of Maynard on the player I have seen in a City shirt. This season, last season, the season before and the season before that. I'm also basing my opinion of Pitman (Which isn't that he's shit) on the fact that he is incapable, in my view, of playing as a lone striker and we don't have the midfield to play 4-4-2. The only way to get the best out of Pitman and retain a 5 man midfield is to play 3 at the back (Something I would actually be in favour of) but to change the entire formation simply to fit a player who isn't head and shoulders above the other strikers is pointless. There is the logic behind my assertion that Pitman is not the answer.

Sign two decent central midfielders then great, play him. He's a good finisher, has a relatively decent touch but is slow and lazy when the opposition have the ball...

It's not just one game though is it ?

Yes Maynard was utter bollocks against Brighton, but then he was equally bollocks against Milwall, and Crawley, and Coventry, and Forest, and Boro, the only game he's not been complete shite in is the saints game. You seem to think that the only argument against Maynard is that he's not putting the effort in, i would disagree with that, Bar brighton i can't say i've had any issue with his ability to run around like a headless chicken, it's the fact that his runs are laughably bad, he's managed to miss good chances in the last god knows how many games, his passing is on a par with Elliots, his all around play has been generally poor for quite some time now, (saints away being the exception).

An on form and firing Maynard is as asset, but when he does not score he does nothing else, he doesn't occupy defenders like Albert and even Bolaise can, his passing and vision are bloody terrible so brings nothing but goals, and he isn't bringing goals so i wouldn't pick him.

Does that mean i hate him ? no.

Do i care that he wants to leave? No - it's his perogative, i think he could have handled it better, but he's on a fixed term contract and owes BCFC nothing, so that doesn't bother me at all.

I just dont see the point in playing a player so hopelessly out of form it's untrue, especially one that isn't going to be here next season, i could understand the perserverance with him if you are just hoping he might get some form before the end of the season and can start next season in form, but that is a moot point here.

That extends to all the players, some of them have been garbage for the last few weeks and do not deserve to be starting, it's not just Maynard.

Regardless of the personnel, we need to set up so the striker is not isolated. When Kilkenny played in an advanced role, both he and the team looked good. Having a back 4 stood on our 18 yard line with 5 midfielders stood 10 yards in front of them, leaves a 50 yard gap to the lone striker.

Luckily we have the centre halfs to ping accurate passes that distance!!

Regardless of the personnel, we need to set up so the striker is not isolated. When Kilkenny played in an advanced role, both he and the team looked good. Having a back 4 stood on our 18 yard line with 5 midfielders stood 10 yards in front of them, leaves a 50 yard gap to the lone striker.

Luckily we have the centre halfs to ping accurate passes that distance!!

This

Wow. What a 'non-Maynard' thread this turned out to be. :facepalm:

Back to the point in hand...

Interesting to see different people's line-ups. A few points I've been thinking about after looking through them;

- I really don't think we'll see McAllister again, not a comment on his ability just the fact he's said he's ready since before the Forest game and yet hasn't got a look in.

- Fontaine is not fit.

- Don't imagine Pearson and Wood won't both start.

- Without Albert and Elliott can't fathom a way in which Skuse will not start somewhere.

Archived