IGNORED

Northwich Victoria Homeless

CotswoldRed

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-16620964

Seems smaller clubs are going through an increasingly tough time.

It was always going to happen. Unfortunately it's going to take a big club going to wall for anyone in a position of "power" within the game to actually take notice. Portsmouth were a great opportunity for that to happen but amazingly the Premier League tried to look after their own...

I can only seeing it getting worse, which is equally sad as it is essential.

It was always going to happen. Unfortunately it's going to take a big club going to wall for anyone in a position of "power" within the game to actually take notice. Portsmouth were a great opportunity for that to happen but amazingly the Premier League tried to look after their own...

I can only seeing it getting worse, which is equally sad as it is essential.

SSN summed it all up last night; lead story was David Beckham staying at LA Galaxy whilst much later in the bulletin the news that Darlo had a reprieve after some fans raised £50k. The media keep telling us that people are only interested in the top clubs and sadly, an increasing number of the public believe it.

SSN summed it all up last night; lead story was David Beckham staying at LA Galaxy whilst much later in the bulletin the news that Darlo had a reprieve after some fans raised £50k. The media keep telling us that people are only interested in the top clubs and sadly, an increasing number of the public believe it.

Crazy isn't it? There again, it's understandable. Sky's target audience isn't proper fans like me and you who attend games, They target the armchair fan happy support whoever is top of the league from their sofa in a completely different area of the country to the one where said club is from.

The game we love is disappearing. Quick.

I noticed that, disgraceful.

I noticed that, disgraceful.

Darlington was one of the lead stories all day, the Beckham story broke last night and was always going to be the biggest story, i thought Sky covered the Darlington story well yesterday, they had somebody on site all day and were going live several times an hour when negotiations were ongoing.

Darlington was one of the lead stories all day, the Beckham story broke last night and was always going to be the biggest story, i thought Sky covered the Darlington story well yesterday, they had somebody on site all day and were going live several times an hour when negotiations were ongoing.

Fair enough i only saw it on the evening.

It's amazing really that a system that has such depth to its professional/semi professional structure has survived in some format or another for so long. Soccer is almost unique in sporting terms in this and even then there are many countries where anything below a division or two would be pretty much amateur/collegiate in structure.

That doesn't mean that I am happy to see clubs like this struggle or disappear, but I do wonder whether it is almost inevitable in the future that this structure will start to "shallow out"....

It's amazing really that a system that has such depth to its professional/semi professional structure has survived in some format or another for so long. Soccer is almost unique in sporting terms in this and even then there are many countries where anything below a division or two would be pretty much amateur/collegiate in structure.

That doesn't mean that I am happy to see clubs like this struggle or disappear, but I do wonder whether it is almost inevitable in the future that this structure will start to "shallow out"....

Its long been said that England has far too many professional clubs.

Its long been said that England has far too many professional clubs.

... and far too many players being paid far too much money.

Unfortunately, the crazy economics of football has been sustained by Sky and the vanity projects of various foreign billionaires.

Cromer Utd (?) were granted free use of their land as long as a decendent of King George V +21 years was alive..(gave land to use for sports)

Now they have found that a decendant died 'in utero' less than 20 years ago, so Norfolk council (the next beneficiaries) are taking them to court as the "embryo" never actually 'lived' and want the land .

If they win,the council get 10 odd acres for FA and Cromer FC die.

Couldn't make it up really could you.. :englandsmile4wf:

Isn't the Queen a descendant of George V?

Only because of who he is nothing to do with the standard of football he has played in for the past 3 years/

Isn't the Queen a descendant of George V?

The relationship between King George the V and Queen Elizabeth II is that she is the daughter of his second son King George the VI , as the eldest son Prince Edward gave up his throne to marry American Divorcee Mrs Simpson. Simples. So get on it Cromer.

Northwhich could do a ground share with Crewe? Pooling resources of these smaller teams seems to me to be the way forward. The fact they are in a different town and some 16 miles to the south (crewe that is) should not be too much of a problem should it?>

:disapointed2se::closedeyes:

:disapointed2se::closedeyes:

Look it up mate, soccer is the original name for the game, it is only over time that in England it started to get referred to as football and the egg chasers, shortened theirs to Rugby. Anyway, I used the term because I was talking about international sport and wanted to differentiate between the our game, rugby and NFL type stuff.

Look it up mate, soccer is the original name for the game, it is only over time that in England it started to get referred to as football and the egg chasers, shortened theirs to Rugby. Anyway, I used the term because I was talking about international sport and wanted to differentiate between the our game, rugby and NFL type stuff.

From memory the original name, after the rules were put in place, was Association Football, hence soccer. Seems a bit tenous now I've said that.

Not sure when the word soccer emerged though. I'd imagine that football was used first.

Northwhich could do a ground share with Crewe? Pooling resources of these smaller teams seems to me to be the way forward. The fact they are in a different town and some 16 miles to the south (crewe that is) should not be too much of a problem should it?>

In the past they've shared with their neighbours Witton Albion, who play in the division below them and whose ground is pretty much next door to Northwich's (you cross a bridge over a canal to get from one to the other). However the relationship between the 2 clubs isn't great, and a groundshare is not on the agenda at present. For a smallish town (a similar sized place near Bristol would be somewhere like Yate or Clevedon), they've always had 2 reasonably well supported non league sides, and the rivalry between them is surprisingly intense.

They're supposedly in talks with 2 clubs over sharing, the identity of which have not been disclosed. They're lucky in a way that they're scheduled to be away from home tomorrow, so have a little bit longer to get sorted. Chester has been mentioned as a possible destination, as their ground is owned by Cheshire West & Chester Council (which Northwich also falls under). However this situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that the 2 clubs are in the same division. Chester are top, Northwich are 2nd, and the gap between them is 3 points! There is also a bit of bad blood between the 2, as before they played each other on Boxing Day at Northwich, there was a row over tickets, where the Northwich chairman was widely regarded as being greedy by refusing to let Chester take a standard %age commision for selling their allocation, which resulted in Chester fans having to travel to Northwich to buy tickets for the away section, instead of buying them from their club.

Northwich were a consistent mid table Conference side until about 4 years ago, but, as is so often the story with clubs who hit hard times (see Darlington, Chester, Kettering), have suffered from a succession of dodgy owners, including the current chairman. The ground has been bought by Thor Chemicals, who have a site next door and want it for expansion, and they're making some efforts to try and appease the fans, by saying they would be willing to help with the costs of a groundshare and donate the floodlights, stands etc from the current ground if they found a new site. However they've made it clear that they do not wish to work with the current chairman, Jim Rushe, and have called on the Vics Supporters' Trust to try and get rid of him.

In the past they've shared with their neighbours Witton Albion, who play in the division below them and whose ground is pretty much next door to Northwich's (you cross a bridge over a canal to get from one to the other). However the relationship between the 2 clubs isn't great, and a groundshare is not on the agenda at present. For a smallish town (a similar sized place near Bristol would be somewhere like Yate or Clevedon), they've always had 2 reasonably well supported non league sides, and the rivalry between them is surprisingly intense.

They're supposedly in talks with 2 clubs over sharing, the identity of which have not been disclosed. They're lucky in a way that they're scheduled to be away from home tomorrow, so have a little bit longer to get sorted. Chester has been mentioned as a possible destination, as their ground is owned by Cheshire West & Chester Council (which Northwich also falls under). However this situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that the 2 clubs are in the same division. Chester are top, Northwich are 2nd, and the gap between them is 3 points! There is also a bit of bad blood between the 2, as before they played each other on Boxing Day at Northwich, there was a row over tickets, where the Northwich chairman was widely regarded as being greedy by refusing to let Chester take a standard %age commision for selling their allocation, which resulted in Chester fans having to travel to Northwich to buy tickets for the away section, instead of buying them from their club.

Northwich were a consistent mid table Conference side until about 4 years ago, but, as is so often the story with clubs who hit hard times (see Darlington, Chester, Kettering), have suffered from a succession of dodgy owners, including the current chairman. The ground has been bought by Thor Chemicals, who have a site next door and want it for expansion, and they're making some efforts to try and appease the fans, by saying they would be willing to help with the costs of a groundshare and donate the floodlights, stands etc from the current ground if they found a new site. However they've made it clear that they do not wish to work with the current chairman, Jim Rushe, and have called on the Vics Supporters' Trust to try and get rid of him.

Thanks for the info North Red.. interesting read there.

Archived