IGNORED

Henderson To Magpies?

SecretSam

I know a lot of the stuff on Football Rumours is tosh, but there's one on there that Hendo could be off to Newcastle

If that is the case, then if he's the replacement for Krul (likely to be off in the summer) then we've really *****d up again, letting go a really talented player and instead keeping a has been and a never-will-be :disapointed2se:

I know a lot of the stuff on Football Rumours is tosh, but there's one on there that Hendo could be off to Newcastle

If that is the case, then if he's the replacement for Krul (likely to be off in the summer) then we've really *****d up again, letting go a really talented player and instead keeping a has been and a never-will-be :disapointed2se:

its not alot of stuff, its all of the stuff on football rumours

And no we didn't **** up we offered him a contract he turned it down what more could we do?

As Much as Millen seemed a decent bloke, he made plenty of foorballing errors (signing Taylor,Bolasie and Spence) during his short time in charge, and letting Henderson leave was probably the biggest given that David James' time is limited.

Henderson is better than Gerken yet it was the latter who was given a new contract, forcing Hendo to leave to look for chances elsewhere. Quite understandably he didn't want to hang around as third choice keeper.

Henderson should have been given the contract and assured he was competing with James for the first team place, not Gerken.

Should have let James go at the end of last season. Even tho he has been playing well James isn't the future of the club and Hendo could have been our keeper for years to come. He won loads of awards on loan at Yeovil, as did Caulker, surely we should have realised his ability! We made a real mistake here.

It migh have helped if we'd given him an indication that he might get a shot at the first team

Agree there i know we offered him a new contract but he may of got to the stage where he wanted first team and that with James signing on again his mind was made up, on another ex Yeovil keeper where is Weale at the moment i rated him as well?

Unbelievable..... The board offered Henderson a contract and he turned it down what has that got to do with KM :clapping:

Its quite simple. It was keith millen who wanted to keep gerken?

Being behind James and Gerken in the pecking order could'nt have been very appealing to henderson - there would have been no reason to stay - he had to leave, for the good of his career

No 2 to a 40 year old would have been appealing and I'm certain he would have stayed.

Giving Gerken a contract was a terrible decision - why we did, when we had henderson, I'll never understand.

Unbelievable..... The board offered Henderson a contract and he turned it down what has that got to do with KM :clapping:

Straightfoward I would have thought: Keith preferred Gerken over Henderson and given that we had Jamo that would mean that Henderson wouldn't even make the bench. Henderson therefore left with no alternative than to go elsewhere as a direct result of Keith's choice.

Football is a game of opinions I know, but how anybody can prefer Gerken over Henderson is beyond me.

Should have let James go at the end of last season. Even tho he has been playing well James isn't the future of the club and Hendo could have been our keeper for years to come. He won loads of awards on loan at Yeovil, as did Caulker, surely we should have realised his ability! We made a real mistake here.

To be fair, I don't think we could have shifted David James as he triggered a clause in his contract for an extension

As Much as Millen seemed a decent bloke, he made plenty of foorballing errors (signing Taylor,Bolasie and Spence) during his short time in charge, and letting Henderson leave was probably the biggest given that David James' time is limited.

Henderson is better than Gerken yet it was the latter who was given a new contract, forcing Hendo to leave to look for chances elsewhere. Quite understandably he didn't want to hang around as third choice keeper.

Henderson should have been given the contract and assured he was competing with James for the first team place, not Gerken.

Haha. What? Taylor whose played the grand total of 0 games for us so not quite sure how he's a footballing error, Bolasie who he being said to 'must start' by many on here on saturday because of his performances recently and Spence who looked good for us last year (especially compared to other right backs at the club) and has appeared to have fallen out with the new manager to not get a game. I'd say these players are some of the only ones you COULDN'T have a pop at Millen with.

Being behind James and Gerken in the pecking order could'nt have been very appealing to henderson - there would have been no reason to stay - he had to leave, for the good of his career

No 2 to a 40 year old would have been appealing and I'm certain he would have stayed.

Giving Gerken a contract was a terrible decision - why we did, when we had henderson, I'll never understand.

Exactly!

Spot on Riaz.

It frustrates me when people blame the presence of James for Henderson leaving.

There was an elephant in the room... and it's still on the bench.

Talking of old keepers Chris Weale has gone to Northampton on loan, Cobblers no its true

http://www.northampt..._loan_1_3442691

That is one keeper i would like to have back

I cant see the love affair with Hendo he had one good game for us (only played 5) and everyone loves him . Weale didnt play many times for us but looked a far better keeper and if Basso had made his intentions clear he was going, Weale would have still be with us

I think Hendo is a quality player.. And to be fair to him, I sit next to the directors box in the Williams stand, and he was in there watching us every week.

Outraged we let him go, could/should have been our no.1

He is showing what a keeper he is at Pompey, doing well against the likes of Torres the other day, and I hope he has a great career.

Fingers crossed his form gets him in the Ireland squad in the summer as 3rd choice...

Haha. What? Taylor whose played the grand total of 0 games for us so not quite sure how he's a footballing error, Bolasie who he being said to 'must start' by many on here on saturday because of his performances recently and Spence who looked good for us last year (especially compared to other right backs at the club) and has appeared to have fallen out with the new manager to not get a game. I'd say these players are some of the only ones you COULDN'T have a pop at Millen with.

Taylor has a chance but he did not get near the first team when he was fit before Christmas and the bloke who signed him was in charge. Bolasie should play agaianst Doncaster because the alternatives are poor, but he is nowhere near good enough to be a Championship regular. Spence flattered to deceive alongside Caulker last season.

Taylor has a chance but he did not get near the first team when he was fit before Christmas and the bloke who signed him was in charge. Bolasie should play agaianst Doncaster because the alternatives are poor, but he is nowhere near good enough to be a Championship regular. Spence flattered to deceive alongside Caulker last season.

I've not seen Taylor play myself but let's hold off on the guy a bit.

He signed under a manager who rapidly lost his way, has only played less than 90 minutes of league football for us and has been out injured for the majority of Del's reign.

He's not 24 till May, is a 6'2'' target man and banged in 11 league goals last year. Plus, we stole him out from under Millwall's noses, so wasn't a total random signing.

I'm in no way saying he might not turn out to be total pish, but let's give the guy a chance.

Back last month Del was bemoaning not having a big man up front, so he might have even seen the team sheet if not injured.

Let's wait till he's fit, the Maynard situation is resolved and Del sees what he can do and judge then.

I think Hendo is a quality player.. And to be fair to him, I sit next to the directors box in the Williams stand, and he was in there watching us every week.

Outraged we let him go, could/should have been our no.1

He is showing what a keeper he is at Pompey, doing well against the likes of Torres the other day, and I hope he has a great career.

Fingers crossed his form gets him in the Ireland squad in the summer as 3rd choice...

I'd really hoped that Hendo would have been offerered No 2 shirt behind James as his 'apprentice' this season, maybe playing cup matches and perhaps a few league games when needed for preparation as our new no.1 next season.

But would he have accepted that? I think that once Gerkin signed it i was out of the question. He was gone.

And as it happens Mr James has no intention of hanging up his gloves for a couple of seasons. Some recent performances from him have been impressive, but he is not the long term solution.

I expect Hendo to become contender for the Rep Ireland no 1 shirt for years to come, and I said at the time to friends, BCFC would regret letting this guy go. Maybe Mr Naylor saw something more negative in his abilities than we did in his time at BS3.

Even if gerkin hadnt have signed Henderson would have still left IMO. He knew he wouldnt have replaced high profile/earning James so a move away was best for him and so it has proved......

It is so easy to slag the club off when players leave and better themselves...you take the rough with the smooth.. we have got rid of players that have struggled when gone and we have got rid of players that have done well after ... that is football Every team / manager has made those mistakes ...even man u for letting Stam/ Pique leave amongst others ...Leeds- Cantona.... i could go on......

I remember people on here going nuts over the Weale situation now look at him he is at mighty Northampton !!!

Even if gerkin hadnt have signed Henderson would have still left IMO. He knew he wouldnt have replaced high profile/earning James so a move away was best for him and so it has proved......

It is so easy to slag the club off when players leave and better themselves...you take the rough with the smooth.. we have got rid of players that have struggled when gone and we have got rid of players that have done well after ... that is football Every team / manager has made those mistakes ...even man u for letting Stam/ Pique leave amongst others ...Leeds- Cantona.... i could go on......

I remember people on here going nuts over the Weale situation now look at him he is at mighty Northampton !!!

Hello Whale Eye,

I have not slagged the team off in my post,. but have questioned our ability to keep a good young goalkeeper at the club.

Spot on.

My understanding is that Henderson told us at Xmas last year he wasn't staying no matter what he was offered, because of the clause in James' contract that said once he'd played 30 games meant he had to be offered a new deal.

We could have chosen to release Gerken anyway, but that would have left us with a 41 year old first choice and little money to sign up a deputy, was that really a better option?

Because it was the only other one available to us...........

Be a no2 behind a 41 yr or 31 yr old? Hmmm........

Archived