IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga

Lew-T

Since he came back into the side towards the end of last season he has been our most consistent performer. He was one of the few players that could be reasonably proud of their performances in the first thirteen games of the season, in fact he was probably our best player up to that point (not that it is an award to be proud of) and he has been even better under McInnes. Him and Fontaine at Upton Park put in one of the best performances I've seen from a City centre half pairing in a long time, as an earlier poster alluded to.

He does make the odd error out of nowhere, (the slip at Barnsley, and the mishit clearences at Millwall and on Saturday being three that I can instantly think of) but Rio Ferdinand's career have been littered with similar types of clumsy mistakes and he has been a pretty good defender...

It is obvious that he can make an improvement on the ball and with his distribution, as can all of our players, but he is nowhere near the liability you are making out 'everytime he has the ball he puts me on edge' is such an exaggeration is beyond belief! The lack of movement in the midfield is also an issue for this as when Kilkenny is having an off day we don't really have anyone that will demand the ball and be willing to recieve it under pressure, so therefore nobody shows for the ball and the back four is only left with one option.

And as many other posters have said, his primary job is to DEFEND and he has done that well for us this season. I would like to know of all the names you have of defenders that would realistically play for us that are as good as Nyatanga defensively whilst being Franz Beckenbaur on the ball...

I agree with you there. If his distribution was as good as people would like it to be he'd wouldn't be playing for us. He's no world beater, but as previously stated you don't play 200odd Championship games by being "appalling".

For me he is one of the most improved players at the club, he looks stronger, better in the air and more composed than last season.

Has played nearly all of our games so far this season, and is yet to have someone consistently chosen alongside him to forge a partnership (Wilson, Fontaine, Carey and Stewart have all played), likewise with the fullbacks, they've been chopped and changed around him and that makes it no easier. I think he's done well under the circumstances and if he continues to develop he could be a valuble asset for us.

how many games has he started under mcinnes?

How many points have we picked up in those games?

Blimey, I didn't realise he was our only player on the pitch - I thought we had another 10. Most of whom contribute a darn sight more than Nyatanga.

Like others here, I'd like to see him drop to the bench once Fonts returns. He isn't a bad player, but he's 3rd choice in central defence for me.

Tangs and Fontaine looked VERY good together on the occasions they have played. West Ham away along with a good few occasions this season Tangs has been SUPERB.

Wilson is going to be a good defender, made that horrendous mistake against Leeds (which Spence got blames for)

Archived