IGNORED

Optimism

CTRed

For the first time in a long time I feel that the club is in a unique and exciting situation. We clearly have a top management team in Del & Doc, this has been said by many players - both current and those that have departed, that is a real test, when a player clearly out of favor praises the management team.

We seem to be heading in the right direction off the field also. The club has some tremendous people in place who, from a business perspective, are growing the club rapidly and moving us forward.

I believe that, on the playing side, we are in a position that many clubs would envy. This may sound strange to say if you were to look at our league position but that is not what I am talking about. I am thinking longer term, thinking about the end of the season. It is clear that we will stay in this division, we have many players out of contract in the summer who will undoubtedly be released leaving us with a core of around 11 players with whom the general concensus seems to be are good enough to build around.

Not many teams have the luxury of having that certainty and this time scale in which to plan ahead. Derek has between now and the summer to plan who he wants to bring in, knowing exactly what budget and resources he will have at his disposal. It is clear to me that so far, he has been very methodical and practical in his signings, nothing flashy, but experienced players to fill a void.

To see what Derek has done with an oversized, unbalanced and mediocre group of players inherited from 3 different managers is encouraging. This to me tells me that come the summer, when he will have exactly the group of players he wants, we have everything to look forward to.

I for one share the same optimism. Clearly, you only have to look around to see what is happening. People with determination to drive this club forward from the major investor at the top through the board and the management team.

When I look around at other clubs in the same division with poor facilities or a lack of investment I genuinely believe we are on the threshold of some very exciting times to be a Bristol City fan

We seem to be heading in the right direction off the field also. The club has some tremendous people in place who, from a business perspective, are growing the club rapidly and moving us forward.

To see what Derek has done with an oversized, unbalanced and mediocre group of players inherited from 3 different managers is encouraging. This to me tells me that come the summer, when he will have exactly the group of players he wants, we have everything to look forward to.

I think there is a general feeling of optimism around the club as a whole and that's largely due to the board appointing a management team who are building a growing reputation and (significantly) have no history with Bristol City. New broom and all that....

Like most fans I'm confident that City will avoid the drop and for me the real test for McInnes will come over the summer with so many players (17 is it?) out of contract. He'll have the luxury of starting pretty much from scratch and will already have targeted some of the players he'd like to sign. Many new managers would love to be the same position.

My only slight worry is that expectations amongst the faithful will be sky high come August and if City don't get off to a good start next season then the knives will be out.

The first real test was when McInnes came in with just 6 points on the board and 5 points off safety with a crap squad.

Ain't that the truth. We were in a right mess when he came in, and he's improved us significantly.

Robbo is right though, next season will be test (providing we stay up) as he will have his own team and people's expectations will be high, once again. However, I'm confident he'll live up to expectations and I really think we've invested in a quality manager.

That is why we need to get behind the team for the rest of the season, stick with them and the manager after a defeat, as it's really all about survival. Then we can build for the future and look forward to happier times.

Archived