IGNORED

Rugby League

Barrs Court Red

Never been much of a Rugby league fan, to me it's a bit like a 'wrestling' version of union. One thing that might improve the game get rid of the scrums, it's basically a load of blokes with their arms around each other and the scrum half bloke either bounces it off the leg of his front row prop and it never goes into the scrum or angles the ball to guy the at the back of the scrum, they are a waste of time, the only time the opposing team get a turn over at a scrum is if the ball misbehaves when hitting the props leg before not going into the scrum.

I'd agree. As scrums are non-contested why bother.

Not sure about wrestling though, I find it a far faster and more physical game. Took the mrs to her first game to see Wigan beat Leeds at Wembley, and she's up for going to more now. Shame it's all so far away.

Rumours that Bristol Sonics are looking to go Semi Pro and play in the Championship. It will be interesting to see where they play, as I'm sure where they currently are wouldn't be acceptable.

Never been much of a Rugby league fan, to me it's a bit like a 'wrestling' version of union. One thing that might improve the game get rid of the scrums, it's basically a load of blokes with their arms around each other and the scrum half bloke either bounces it off the leg of his front row prop and it never goes into the scrum or angles the ball to guy the at the back of the scrum, they are a waste of time, the only time the opposing team get a turn over at a scrum is if the ball misbehaves when hitting the props leg before not going into the scrum.

I played League in Australia for a number of years and the comment about wrestling is so far off beam it makes me laugh. It is much faster, more skillfull, tactical etc etc than Union will ever be.

Interesting weekend of fixtures, St Helens first home game of the season at the new stadium and Wigan V Leeds on Sky.

It'll be interesting to see how Catalans get on against Hull. They've been pretty hotly tipped to do well this season.

Friday, 10 February 2012

St Helens v Salford, 20:00

Saturday, 11 February 2012

Catalan Dragons v Hull, 17:30

Wigan v Leeds, 17:45

Sunday, 12 February 2012

Castleford v Bradford, 15:30

Huddersfield v Widnes, 15:00

Wakefield v Hull K R, 15:30

Warrington v London Broncos, 15:00

I asked a Rugby League fan who I once worked with what the point of the scrum was. He looked at me as if I was a complete donut and said 'its ties up the forwards' as if I'd know what significance of that was........

I guess that I'm not a fan because living in the West Country man and boy there were/are no RL clubs in the area. Rugby Union was played at school and back then Bath Rugby were a huge and successful outfit and as schoolboys we were taken on trips to watch them by our sports master who was an ex Bath player. I'm a fan of Bath Rugby still.

As for RL being more tactical. Thats very debatable. To me Union at the top level is immensely tactical and even now I still sometimes struggle to work out what strategy teams are using. It doesn't help when they change tactics during a game. Sky's coverage is brilliant at explaining whats going on.

Missed them at Cardiff last year (went on the Sunday - brother in law number 2 lives in Cardiff but is originally from Doncaster and used to play RL and RU) but was at Wembley in August for the Challenge Cup final. Was in a mainly Wigan section, ran out of beer and pies with about 20 minutes left!

I would like to interject and urge everyone to watch Superleague on Sky Sports whenever they get the chance. Its a great sport and I have a feeling that the quality of rugby league played in England is going to go up a notch. I'm not a fundamentalist league fan or anything- I enjoy a good game of Union, but for me everything thats wrong in the 15 man code (the constant breaks, the slowness of much of the play, the fact that much of the game is played underneath a pile of 18st forwards) is right with the 13 man code. Its faster, more emphasis on line breaks and passing and the ability to offload in the tackle is far superior. As for scrums, well they are purely there to "tie up the forwards" as Robbored has been informed, but this allows more space for the backs to exploit. I would argue there is no more point in scrums in union these days as they have to be constantly reset because the whole discipline of the scrum wasn't ever set up to incorporate 19st+ props leaning on each other

If anyone does fancy getting into Rugby League, may I point you towards the Huddersfield Giants as your new team to support? The game was codified in Huddersfield and the current 'Fartown' (as they used to be named) suad is full of young English players who have bright futures in the game. Leroy Cudjoe is arguably the best wing/centre in Superleague IMO, while Jermaine McGillveray is my tip for the next cross-over to the England Rugby Union set up. I also think Shaun Lunt is an England RL hooker of the future and he can't even gaurentee himself a start at the minute. Added to that, we have a very quick, mobile group of forwards (even for Superleague) and two of the better Oz imports in O'Donnell and Faiumu (who're both injured at the mo) and they are an exciting team to watch at the minute. Watch Giants, you know it makes sense! :icecream:

Missed them at Cardiff last year (went on the Sunday - brother in law number 2 lives in Cardiff but is originally from Doncaster and used to play RL and RU) but was at Wembley in August for the Challenge Cup final. Was in a mainly Wigan section, ran out of beer and pies with about 20 minutes left!

I missed Cardiff too as my daughter decided to arrive late!

Took the wife to Wembley, but was sat next to the Leeds end in a tiny pocket of Wigan. Didnt realise how "alone" we were untill they scored their first try, and apart from 6 Wigan by us, everyone went crazy.

After reflecting on Big Tone's response for precisely a nano-second, I defer. Thought of watching the games live simply hadn't occurred to me ;-)

Well not on a Friday because they are played on a Wednesday as a rule so even with the time diff etc ......................

<p>

<br />

Well not on a Friday because they are played on a Wednesday as a rule so even with the time diff etc ......................and bear in mind we are behind them in time not in front.&nbsp;&nbsp;But who will ever forget the game when Sir Wally was sin binned. It rained beers cans for about 10 minutes. Or the game when you could see Darryl Bromans teeth exit his mouth after a somewhat &quot;over exuberant tackle&quot;<br />

</p>

Well not on a Friday because they are played on a Wednesday as a rule so even with the time diff etc ......................and bear in mind we are behind them in time not in front. But who will ever forget the game when Sir Wally was sin binned. It rained beers cans for about 10 minutes. Or the game when you could see Darryl Bromans teeth exit his mouth after a somewhat "over exuberant tackle". He then got up, shook his head and got on with the rest of the game. We could actually do with showing a few Origin games to our own football players and let them understand what is meant by "commitment to the cause"

Archived