IGNORED

Lack Of Goals In The Team

bcfcnick

We have a class manager and I have no doubt will develop a successful team. We do lack goals in the team though. Just tot up the average goals per season from the players who took part today. Foster might get a two or three from defence but we don't have a centre-half that contributes with four or five from set piece headers like McCoombe used to. The available left-backs might get 1 between them all season.

Midfield is the main problem as there really are no goals there. Whilst Albert is an essential player he tends to have a lot for shots that skim past the post or are a comfortable 'make the keeper look good' efforts but never overly threatening. I'd like to see him take on that extra player in the box and pick up a few penalties or play that final ball from behind the opposing defence for a finisher like Pitman. On that note, given the lack of goals in the side a natural finisher like Pitman needs to play week in week out.

Skuse and Cisse might get a couple of goals between them all season so, without a goal contribution from Bolaisie or Albert, then I don't see that both can play. Marvin can chip in with a few but isn't the perfect solution.

Kilkenny has a bit of class but a creative midfielder who doesn't chip in with a reasonable number of goals is a luxury for the team. Woolford had a half-decent goals per season record for S****horpe but his move to City hasn't worked out and it's an odd one given his relative success at S****horpe. He looks to have used up his chances which have been by no means limited.

Chris Wood is young and offers the strength up front and had a good goal-scoring spree with Birmingham but his goals per game record aside from that run isn't as prolific or consistent as Pitman. It's a risk to reply on him as a sole striker especially given there isn't that creativity from midfield that strikers need to feed off.

It's a tough ask but I think a creative midfielder with goals in him who can play in a midfield 4 is the essential target for the loan market and if that allows Pitman to play alongside Wood then the goals issue is solved. Otherwise there really won't be the goals in the side and there will be far too big a reliance on keeping a clean sheet and nicking a 1-0.

Looks like we will get another central defender though with injuries to Carey, Nyatanga, Wilson suspended and Fonts just back from injury and having to do 'over-time' in terms of work load today. I'd rather the resources were spent on that elusive goal-scoring midfielder though.

At the end of pre season, a retired bookie friend of mine said, " Your lot could go down this season, they have no goals in them".

Apart from WBA, we played 8 lower league and Conference teams, we failed to score in 4 of those 8 matches.

Fast forward to now, nothing has changed. Since Del arrived we have played 18 times and failed to score in 9 of those matches . Its a constant factor, consider our most recent form, played 10, failed to score in 5.

Goals win or save games and unless the team start to improve on not scoring in half their matches, they will remain in the relegation mix.

I think we'll need to get used to it. St Johnstone under McInnes conceded few but were notoriously low scorers in the SPL.

It seems to be the modern way, Millen and the later Johnson days were all about trying to avoid conceding at all costs rather than rather than looking to get at the oposition and out score them.

I don't think it's a Citything but it's common to all clubs of our size, I think this is something that got lost in the Maynard debate - who'd want to be a "goalscorer" in a low/non scoring team?

Has our manager given any explanation for this, because I have to say that Pitman's non-appearance today baffled the hell out of me.

We play with a lone striker, Chris Wood even looks isolated in this role because the wingers dont move towards him anticipating knock downs when the balls in the air. If Pitman played as a lone striker, he wouldnt close anything down, and is too physically weak to play against 2 big centre backs. I was a big fan of his last season, thought he was the dogs, but the hype he gets on here is unreal.

Even when we got to the play off final our goal difference was 0.

In 4 years that Gary was in at the club we went through twenty (cica) strikers.

However I have always thought the problem was in midfield and a lack of chances we created.

GJ or KM never adressed the problem of our midfield, the midfield question should be Dels top priority.

I think we'll need to get used to it. St Johnstone under McInnes conceded few but were notoriously low scorers in the SPL.

It seems to be the modern way, Millen and the later Johnson days were all about trying to avoid conceding at all costs rather than rather than looking to get at the oposition and out score them.

I think Saintee or one of our Scottish posters said the same thing and they would know. That said some reckon St Johnson are/were punching above their weight in the SPL and maybe McInnes set up his side to concede as few goals as possible and given City's vulnerable position is doing the same thing down here.

When McInnes has chance to bring in players of his own choice over the summer maybe we'll see a more expansive style of play. If he proves to be a one trick pony and continues to play one up front at home next season I'm sure the City fans will start getting on his back. We've been there before as we all know.

I think it's starting to the good with the movement, well for 30 mins a game with Yannick and Albert we have an attacking force.

Gong by yesterday if we played 442 with the joy are wingers wer getting in the 1st 30 mins we would have been game over.

I think we need to drop Kilkenny and rely on out and out wing play all we need is a better left wing back end

My team would be

Skuse wIlson fonts foster

Albert cisse person Yannick

Stead Pitman

At the end of pre season, a retired bookie friend of mine said, " Your lot could go down this season, they have no goals in them".

Apart from WBA, we played 8 lower league and Conference teams, we failed to score in 4 of those 8 matches.

Fast forward to now, nothing has changed. Since Del arrived we have played 18 times and failed to score in 9 of those matches . Its a constant factor, consider our most recent form, played 10, failed to score in 5.

Goals win or save games and unless the team start to improve on not scoring in half their matches, they will remain in the relegation mix.

I knew goals were few and far between but that is quite a frightening statistic. It's something that seriously needs to be addressed but listening to the interviews, it sounds like he is trying to get in a defender or 2 and maybe a striker on loan for cover.

The business done when the loan window re-opens is going to be important. We need to find a way of scoring when we are on top.

I think it's starting to the good with the movement, well for 30 mins a game with Yannick and Albert we have an attacking force.

Gong by yesterday if we played 442 with the joy are wingers wer getting in the 1st 30 mins we would have been game over.

I think we need to drop Kilkenny and rely on out and out wing play all we need is a better left wing back end

My team would be

Skuse wIlson fonts foster

Albert cisse person Yannick

Stead Pitman

Stanley Unwin. Is that you?

People moaned that Maynard hadn't scored many with 8 (personally I thought he did OK to have that) but it wouldn't suprise me if he is still top scorer this season. This team will struggle to score until the end until we get a decent midfield in. It isn't the defence that is the worry but the midfield and attack.

When we constantly waste getting the ball into the box with these pathetic short corners and also not taking a shot at goal we will never get any score many.

I always say this to my lad when he plays "If you dont shoot at goal you wont score" i know its stating the obvious but someone needs to tell that to the city players. They always seem to be wanting to get the ball on their favoured foot with no one in the way etc etc or does this just come down to the players arent good enough.

I think we will go 4-4-2 but Mcinnes is waiting for elliot to be fit , although we are also waiting on another striker to come. Otherwise if we play 4-4-2 and one of the three strikers we have gets injured we'd only have 2 fit strikers although Adomah can play up front(which in fact I wouldn't mind seeing).

Has our manager given any explanation for this, because I have to say that Pitman's non-appearance today baffled the hell out of me.

After the game he said :

We have players here I believe can get us goals and they will be given a chance to do so.

We shall see.

For a few seasons now, it seems to me that the footballing philosophy at Bristol City under succesive managers has focussed on not conceding, rather than scoring goals. Team selections and formations during that time have tended to reinforce the fact that we are not an expansive attacking side, although I concede that the limitations of the squad, and individual players abilities, have tended to dictate the way we played.

McInnes cam in with a team rock bottom, both in league position and confidence, and shipping goals at an alarming rate. it is little surprise that his first piority was to shore up the defensive side of things, which I think he acheived reasonably well. However, I think we all realise that our defence, including the midfied, are still very fragile, and while we remain in a relgation battle, I cannot see that McInnes has any option but to concentrate on keeping things tight. Having said all of that, playing Bolaise and Adomah shows that he is been pepared to take some attacking risks, but setbacks like yesterday won't help, even if it was stupid sending offs that scuppered any plans to play more expansive football at Ashton Gate.

I hope that if survival is achieved this season, that summer transfer activity will show us Del's plans for more expansive and attacking football next season.

After the game he said :

We have players here I believe can get us goals and they will be given a chance to do so.

We shall see.

Wouldn't bother trying to cheer those who think Pitman is the messiah . It's already in there heads Del must have a vendetta against brett...

Wouldn't bother trying to cheer those who think Pitman is the messiah . It's already in there heads Del must have a vendetta against brett...

I recall that Del said some time ago that Pitman was Mayard's replacement. We will soon find out if he still thinks that.

Archived