IGNORED

Mcmanus Signs On Loan Until End Of Season

BITW

Another 'aging' scot, how predictable and slightly depressing, ironically we are becoming the new Middlesbrough ( the club Mc Manus has signed from) in terms of signing Scottish Players and that policy nearly saw them go to the wall in this league by persisting with them

Lets hope he does well, but I'm not getting good vibes about this signing

He's 29. And he's only here for a few months whats the problem?

Another 'aging' scot, how predictable and slightly depressing, ironically we are becoming the new Middlesbrough ( the club Mc Manus has signed from) in terms of signing Scottish Players and that policy nearly saw them go to the wall in this league by persisting with them

He's better than what we already have so that's positive news. Another aging scot? Pearson is 28/29, Foster is 25/26 and McManus is 29... I'd say that's players in their prime years.

Oh bore off.

We have needed this type of player for a while. Someone who can lead at the back and do a job. This is a massive positive, and i could not care less if he Scottish or what age this guy is. We all can see we need this, like the midfielder we need. Excellent news.

Where to start, It's blocking a position where, we are meant to be developing our own players/ signing players who will have a higher transfer value or at least some value in the future with another aging head, who has no value as is loaned in

Its not a solution to the problem at the club that has existed for some time that has caused us issues with finding replacement mdifelders, left Backs and right backs, centre backs already, Goal Keeper when James goes and doesnt do us any favours long term.

Its all about the quick hit and spending money on fees and wages on a gamble, that may or may not work, but doesnt give any long term answers

At present, we have been so obsessed about the short term that we have completely ignored the long term at the back and its no wonder its a shambles. By signing yet another player on loan in defence, the defenders at the club coming through and not necessarily in the first team or whatever must be going spare.. Thats what 3 defenders on loan now (Spence, McGivern and now Mc Manus) What's the point of trying for us, and stick with us if we are going to continually waste money by training and developing them and then letting them go without giving them a fair crack of the whip, whilst forever signing new players at another expense who wont be here necessarily come the start of next season.

I appreciate the worries about relegation and understand the reasons for the signing, its just symptomatic of how reactionary the team has become, chucking money at the problem to paper over the cracks rather than starting to sort out what's what from the ground up.

If that causes angst for fans who will celebrate the signing of a player like he is the next demigod, then fine. For a club that is meant to be bankrolled by a financial genius, I'm not seeing alot of clever financing going on and running away from doing something properly to fix it.

Have you forgotten we are in a relegation battle?

Where to start, It's blocking a position where, we are meant to be developing our own players/ signing players who will have a higher transfer value or at least some value in the future with another aging head, who has no value as is loaned in

Its not a solution to the problem at the club that has existed for some time that has caused us issues with finding replacement mdifelders, left Backs and right backs, centre backs already, Goal Keeper when James goes and doesnt do us any favours long term.

Its all about the quick hit and spending money on fees and wages on a gamble, that may or may not work, but doesnt give any long term answers

At present, we have been so obsessed about the short term that we have completely ignored the long term at the back and its no wonder its a shambles. By signing yet another player on loan in defence, the defenders at the club coming through and not necessarily in the first team or whatever must be going spare.. Thats what 3 defenders on loan now (Spence, McGivern and now Mc Manus) What's the point of trying for us, and stick with us if we are going to continually waste money by training and developing them and then letting them go without giving them a fair crack of the whip, whilst forever signing new players at another expense who wont be here necessarily come the start of next season.

I appreciate the worries about relegation and understand the reasons for the signing, its just symptomatic of how reactionary the team has become, chucking money at the problem to paper over the cracks rather than starting to sort out what's what from the ground up.

If that causes angst for fans who will celebrate the signing of a player like he is the next demigod, then fine. For a club that is meant to be bankrolled by a financial genius, I'm not seeing alot of clever financing going on and running away from doing something properly to fix it.

i am guessing the plan would be to try and stay up this season, and start next season looking at what we need, with an in-depth view to things like age etc. My guess is, the kids at the club are not playing because their not up to the task at hand. He is far better than anyone else in the CB role than we have at present, so how can this be a bad thing

Yeah, let's field the youth team.

What a great signing yes hes 29 but what is the problem with that..Captain material experience height at the back and at corners..Great work del boy and finally seeing decent players come in..I really cant wait for the summer because del is really giving me great confidence in what he can do and the ability to sign a good player.

No, I havent, but with FFP regs due to come in at the end of the year and the loan window scheduled to be cancelled from 2014. Id much rather we get our house in order now rather than having to flail about with our wings clipped because, we have massively overspent (as we have done previous seasons) just to stand still rather than working from the ground up.

Our opponents tonight have been in relegation fights over recent times, and what did they do, oh yeah, they started blooding youngsters.. Zaha, Bostock etc

What do we do.. Hit the panic button and loan, and then wonder why, the problems dont fix themselves the next season, relying on luck for things to fall into playe rather than actually do something proactive about it

How is this hitting the panic button? This could be a great signing and play a key part in our survival. Try not looking at the negatives and look at the positives.

They are blooding youngsters like Zaha and Scannell simply because their youth system is alot better than ours.. You can't play the kids if they aren't anywhere near good enough!

Theres always one !!

No, I havent, but with FFP regs due to come in at the end of the year and the loan window scheduled to be cancelled from 2014. Id much rather we get our house in order now rather than having to flail about with our wings clipped because, we have massively overspent (as we have done previous seasons) just to stand still rather than working from the ground up.

Our opponents tonight have been in relegation fights over recent times, and what did they do, oh yeah, they started blooding youngsters.. Zaha, Bostock etc

What do we do.. Hit the panic button and loan, and then wonder why, the problems dont fix themselves the next season, relying on luck for things to fall into playe rather than actually do something proactive about it

out of interest which kids would you use in the CB role?

Also, may I add our squad is a rather young one..

Before we signed McManus Fontaine and Foster were our oldest defenders in the side and they are both 25... McGivern is 21 also.

Bolasie and Adomah are both 22 and 24 respectively and Wood is 19.

Who is unready, guy on the bench coming back from being sent off the other week, has been forcing his way into the team.

No long term commitment is exactly the problem.

Each season for at least the past 3 we have started with the same problems, no continuity on the pitch, no development of players per se, and problem positions not addressed permanently. Instead we have become overly reliant on loans to do the job, and expect them to save us which is going to leave us with a huge problem come the summer, irrespective of if we stay up or go down.

Because that's what we do, instead of working out what should be done, we have gone through a succession of managers who dont play youth players, and sideline them and whatever, nor is there anything with the long term mentioned.

I said in the team sheet thread its all about not wanting to lose, rather than going out to make a change, and this is symptomatic of that. Rather than trying to do something about it we are cementing our own mindset of being not relegated and its becoming hazardous to our future because we arent looking at the long term

If we played youth players regularly, at this level, we may find that we have players in house who can produce, however diktats of a succession of managers has meant we are to afraid to try, and is further reinforced by the attitudes on here,

saying that the players arent good enough and cant do it, which is amazing as seeing as none of them have had the chance to see what they can do.

Given the situation at present, Wilson at 23, just come back from suspension, sat on the bench?

If they aren't exactly setting the world alight playing in the youth league then how will they do it in the championship?

Also it's unfair to play a kid in a struggling team, you should introduce a young player in a team that's in form and hasnt got much at stake.

Archived