IGNORED

Mcmanus Signs On Loan Until End Of Season

BITW

Who is unready, guy on the bench coming back from being sent off the other week, has been forcing his way into the team.

No long term commitment is exactly the problem.

Each season for at least the past 3 we have started with the same problems, no continuity on the pitch, no development of players per se, and problem positions not addressed permanently. Instead we have become overly reliant on loans to do the job, and expect them to save us which is going to leave us with a huge problem come the summer, irrespective of if we stay up or go down.

Because that's what we do, instead of working out what should be done, we have gone through a succession of managers who dont play youth players, and sideline them and whatever, nor is there anything with the long term mentioned.

I said in the team sheet thread its all about not wanting to lose, rather than going out to make a change, and this is symptomatic of that. Rather than trying to do something about it we are cementing our own mindset of being not relegated and its becoming hazardous to our future because we arent looking at the long term

If we played youth players regularly, at this level, we may find that we have players in house who can produce, however diktats of a succession of managers has meant we are to afraid to try, and is further reinforced by the attitudes on here,

saying that the players arent good enough and cant do it, which is amazing as seeing as none of them have had the chance to see what they can do.

Given the situation at present, Wilson at 23, just come back from suspension, sat on the bench?

I'm starting to get the impression that you come onto this forum purely to argue.

Wilson made a huge mistake last time out, and has a big future. You don't know what has happened behind closed doors. Maybe Del has spoken to Wilson about it, and he might be in his plans long term.

However, McManus is an experienced guy and even if he has been out of Boro's team, look where they are. Why would they change a winning team? And we're not looking for him to help take us to the next level (and I'm not saying he couldn't do that) just to help keep us up.

Mcmanus, McGivern and Wood, arent ours though, thats my point.. That's 3 positions that will need addressing and have needed addressing for sometime, especially Left Back, So as per , we just scrape to the seasons end and start again, Its a self fulfilling prophecy that the club has seemed to entrenched itself in out of fear, rather than allowing it to breath and you know yeild the possibility of something different

Are you putting up the money to pay the wages of the players we have, and the signing-on fees, transfer fees and wages of the superstars you propose we sign?

And I'm guessing you'd have to hire Max Clifford to spin our current position before Lionel Messi is interested.

Another 'aging' scot, how predictable and slightly depressing, ironically we are becoming the new Middlesbrough ( the club Mc Manus has signed from) in terms of signing Scottish Players and that policy nearly saw them go to the wall in this league by persisting with them

Lets hope he does well, but I'm not getting good vibes about this signing

Some people would'nt recognise a good vibe if they had a rabbit up their a**e ... :devil:

ps... anyone got any Lemsip's? .. woe is me, bloody flu.

pps .. Good Luck tonight to all at the Gate... got a good vibe about tonights result.

So again just avoid the issue? Ive bothered answering your accusation, what's your excuse?

I didn't avoid any issue.

Mid-season (including the posioned chalice of the winter transfer window) what else is Del to do but get what is available that will improve the side.

I think Foster, McManus and Pearson will do that. Not sure about Wood as he's keeping Stead and Pitman out of the side. You seem to want to whinge about something that is largely a non-issue.

Back on topic, l thought he played well tonight. Mix up with McGivern for the first goal but was otherwise solid and looked a better option than Nyatanga at CB.

Made a couple of awesome slide tackles too, (and one not so awesome.)

Largely ironic, internet moniker, lost on poster trying to make it a pertinent point over nothing, shocker

You said about superstars and Messi, relate it to what I was talking about? It was nothing to do with the discussion in the thread and when called on it you went missing.. What a change in view that isnt, instead ts eaier to keep droning on about how you are right over everyone else.

Make no mistake, I put a view across, its not meant to be accepted as gospel, or the truth, its my view. Its a discussion board, so naively I expect discussion rather than preoccupation with being 'top dog' for positionings sake. If you dont agree with my view point then so be it. An explaination is clearly to much to expect when called on to explain your position, silly me

I have absolutely no idea what you're boring on about.

I made a tongue-in-cheek remark in response to your largely moot point about a 29 year old being 'aging' and made a dig about him being Scottish. Nothing more than that.

You've gone very defensive, because you talk 90% rubbish.

One game only of course. However nothing special on that showing. Pick LC over him without a doubt if that's as good as it gets.

But hoping he will prove my doubts unfounded.

I disagree, he hasn't trained with the squad and met them two hours before kick off and i though he slotted in comfortably and didn't shut up all game. Hopefully the leader we've been missing at the back.

I have absolutely no idea what you're boring on about.

I made a tongue-in-cheek remark in response to your largely moot point about a 29 year old being 'aging' and made a dig about him being Scottish. Nothing more than that.

You've gone very defensive, because you talk 90% rubbish.

Only 90?

Finally got the commanding centre half so many fans have been desperate for?

you always need a centre half that will run through a brick wall on a cold tuesday night for the good of the cause.

that's why i rated mccombe so highly, yes he was slow and that's what lead to his downfall, but such a tough defender.

hopefully this signing can steady the ship at the back and boss everyone about.

One game only of course. However nothing special on that showing. Pick LC over him without a doubt if that's as good as it gets.

But hoping he will prove my doubts unfounded.

Two things stood out for me. McManus talked throughout the game. He's been here 2 minutes and he was already willing to tell captain Fontaine where he should be. (And of course Fontaine did it which says a lot about our captains...)

Secondly, I absolutely loved that tackle which got him his booking. No prisoners taken. OK, he gave away a silly opportunity (curious one where the ref eventually gave a corner for what looked like a clean kick out from them??). But, their player was in no doubt what was coming next everytime they received the ball.

McManus will win and save us points. He is what every team needs. Blood, guts, and thunder. Not a bad outing for a player who has not trained with the side, and met his team mates a few hours before. Maybe we have found the Shaun Taylor type that we have all been waiting for!

Where to start, It's blocking a position where, we are meant to be developing our own players/ signing players who will have a higher transfer value or at least some value in the future with another aging head, who has no value as is loaned in

Its not a solution to the problem at the club that has existed for some time that has caused us issues with finding replacement mdifelders, left Backs and right backs, centre backs already, Goal Keeper when James goes and doesnt do us any favours long term.

Its all about the quick hit and spending money on fees and wages on a gamble, that may or may not work, but doesnt give any long term answers

At present, we have been so obsessed about the short term that we have completely ignored the long term at the back and its no wonder its a shambles. By signing yet another player on loan in defence, the defenders at the club coming through and not necessarily in the first team or whatever must be going spare.. Thats what 3 defenders on loan now (Spence, McGivern and now Mc Manus) What's the point of trying for us, and stick with us if we are going to continually waste money by training and developing them and then letting them go without giving them a fair crack of the whip, whilst forever signing new players at another expense who wont be here necessarily come the start of next season.

I appreciate the worries about relegation and understand the reasons for the signing, its just symptomatic of how reactionary the team has become, chucking money at the problem to paper over the cracks rather than starting to sort out what's what from the ground up.

If that causes angst for fans who will celebrate the signing of a player like he is the next demigod, then fine. For a club that is meant to be bankrolled by a financial genius, I'm not seeing alot of clever financing going on and running away from doing something properly to fix it.

Simple answer, Wilson is not ready and we cannot afford to get relegated

James Wilson is very impressed

James needs to sort his game out!

Would think he's got a decent chance to come in at right back (push Foster over onto left)

Problem with our defence (infact our team) is we're way to soft, very powderpuff. Mcmanus is exactly what we need, tough tackling & tough talking, he keep trying to tell mcgiven to get into position thoughout the 1st half as he's got no positional sense whatsoever.

Happy with this signing.

Bloke on radio was less than impressed, his fault for The 1st goal by all accounts?

That was a very unhappy and angry man...but in my opinion he was completely wrong regarding his dismissal of McManus.

His whole thread was that Wilson could do a better job than some "has been that can't get in Boros side"

"won three Scottish Premier League titles, two Scottish Cup and two Scottish League Cup during his time at Parkhead, where he was a regular skipper."

Started 17 games this season, captained Scotland,

That is experience and sorry but however much I rate James Wilson, we need that experience to dig us out of the crap

Centre back is one of those positions where you need experience and a leader at the back and that's what has been signed. Look at the experience and combined age of the Tony Adams led rock solid Arsenal defence. All at their peak were a similar or older age than McManus. He's a much needed signing as well for his leadership qualities. Wilson has a bit of quality but can have lapses of concentration at crucial moments. He will improve and hopefully learn from McManus as well.

I have no disaggrement with those who say he's only been here a very short time and knows no one or how they play. Or that he has a wealth of experience and has leadership qualities together with a tough tackling game and say this is what we need.

All I will say is when from the first moment I saw Caulker I was very impressed, and to my untrained eyes he looked total class.

This guy did not bring about the same reaction and, as I am happy to admit being a fan of Carey, he will need to show a lot more IMO, to justify this loan signing.

I really hope he does produce what so many feel he can, and I have no desire to see him fail. We need to turn things round asap.

he did have an excuse for not looking good,

But he did he was hard in the tackle he was good at marking and he commanded the back line the only thing that let him down was a mix up with mclovin,

You don't captain Celtic and Scotland and play 21 times (this season) for a team in the top 6 and not be a good player,

He is the sort of player we have missed Carey can't be relied on and is out injured Wilson isn't as good as this board makes him out to be

We need a nippy centre mid who can be creative now

McManus is a decent player, who for some reason the Celtic fans never took to. They didn't like Caldwell either and he's another decent centre back who seems to be doing well in the Premier League. Both McManus and Caldwell were a good enough pairing to take Celtic to the last sixteen of the Champions League under Strachan but it was never going to work for him at Middlesbrough when Mowbray (man who sold him from Celtic) took over.

Think Del has done well with Pearson and McManus but remain convinced he's lost the plot with Foster. That one must've been a bet.

Archived