IGNORED

A Tribute To The Ashton Gate 8?

BS4 on Tour...

Morning all!

I've read a few posts on here recently about having new songs etc to honour ex players etc.

Well I think we need to have one to honour the 8 guys who saved BCFC 30 years ago. The G*s think they are mocking us by calling us the 82ers but we need to acknowledge that period in our history, make sure we never forget the 8 and throw it back at the G*s that we are still going strong!

Now I hate copying other teams' songs, i'm not suggesting we do that, i'm suggesting we adapt the tune from one that Rangers sing about the guys who formed Rangers FC. The lyrics should be ours but the 'bounce around-ability' offered by the tune is superb!

I've put a link to the Rangers song below but i'm suggesting our lyrics should be:

"Eight men had a dream

To save their football team

They got no money and had no place to go

They still went ahead

Those eight saved the Reds

And thirty years on, we're still going strong

Da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da..

Eight men had a dream.....etc"

Happy to be shot down - but i for one will never forget the day that BCFC nearly died.

Cheers all

Copying other teams songs...since when have we supported Doncaster?

The best chants we have are unique to us or ones we started.

Next.

easy to say next, let's hear your idea if you are willing to shoot down this one.

I think the idea of the op certainly has legs and can be worked on.

Sounds like a great idea. The Ashton Gate 8 were before my time, but my old man filled me in and has always made sure I was aware of the clubs history. Absolute legends.

Baring in mind there was no money in football back then, what they did was unreal. It just goes to show how much football has changed, as I don't believe for one minute that there are players around these days that would make that kind of sacrifice for their club. Legends.

8 men had to tear,

had to tear up contracts,

8 men, 7 men, 6 men, 5 men, 4 men, 3 men, 2 men, 1 man, back in '82,

had to tear up contracts......

7 men had to tear,

had to tear up contracts.........................etc

might catch on :chant6ez:

So might this to the tune of we always believe:

The Ashton Gate Eight

The Ashton Gate Eeeeeiiiiiiiiiight

They tore up their contracts

So we could go on

Its thirty years on

We're stil going strooooooooong

We're Bristol City

We always believe

We always believe

We always belieeeeeeeeeeve

We're Bristol City

We always believe.

The Ashton Gate Eight

So we could go on

Its thirty years on

We're Bristol City

We always believe

We always believe

We're Bristol City

We always believe.

This might have some legs!

Simple, catchy, respectful and a nice adaption of a song that would be great to use again.

Good work!

This is awful. I prefer spontanious on the spot chants. Not making cheesy and frankly crindgeworthy lyrics up on a forum then singing them.

Just let it flow in the pubs around the ground and in the ground itself. All this planned rubbish is false. They do need a song, but it will come during or around a game.

As mentioned copying other people's songs e.g. Man City Poznan, Doncaster O'driscoll said and now everyone copying Palace with that droning unimaginitive crap.

Have some imagination and let it flow during the game, forums are not where chants start.

This is awful. I prefer spontanious on the spot chants. Not making cheesy and frankly crindgeworthy lyrics up on a forum then singing them.

Just let it flow in the pubs around the ground and in the ground itself. All this planned rubbish is false. They do need a song, but it will come during or around a game.

As mentioned copying other people's songs e.g. Man City Poznan, Doncaster O'driscoll said and now everyone copying Palace with that droning unimaginitive crap.

Have some imagination and let it flow during the game, forums are not where chants start.

Chin up! :violin:

Did you post that before or after you read this?

The Ashton Gate Eight

So we could go on

Its thirty years on

We're Bristol City

We always believe

We always believe

We're Bristol City

We always believe.

After, it's awful. It's the same drowning tune.

Just like the youngsters in the Eastend singing do do do do then a choice of Nicky Maynard, Louis Carey, Neil Kilkenny, Richard Foster and further back, David Clarkson and David Noble all with the same tune.

Yawn. We're better than that always have been, we've got an extensive range of songs as it is, new ones can cme along like the recent Albert to the tune of 'Heartbeat' without any hassle.

I agree...

...but...

8 men had to tear,

had to tear up contracts,

8 men, 7 men, 6 men, 5 men, 4 men, 3 men, 2 men, 1 man, back in '82,

had to tear up contracts......

7 men had to tear,

had to tear up contracts.........................etc

might catch on :chant6ez:

...I do like this one.

I love the way people knock these ideas, but, the atmosphere is still not changing. Anything that can help should be encouraged not shot down. These ideas wont have a negative effect, so why shout someone down?

No lad calls himself a shithead mate thats why so many never sang that song. fans sometimes go the other way when things are forced. the club mullered johnson said - bounce around and now its no longer heard because fans went no more!!.best ideas are original and come from the pubs and lads in vans and on the trains. build it up slow or city fans will come across as crap as donny were with o driscoll says.

A song would be a nice tribute to the AG8 , but I think the club could make a lasting tribute by retiring the number 8 shirt. It would be a great way for their selfless act to be remembered in future years. In another 30 years time when a small boy asks his Dad why no City player wears that number , their story can be retold and passed down the generations.

Archived