IGNORED

Are You Lot For Real?

Jordan Tansley

I think most level headed people know city are probably in about the right position. Bottom half champ, top 6 league 1.

Expectations have come from the drivel spouted by lansdown Sexton et al, each season saying we can challenge for promotion. If you are stating that, then you have to back it up with the signing of players to get us there, not years and years of excuses, which we get. Yes money has been put in, which we are thankful for. But don't try and pull the wool over the fans eyes by signing average to below average players the say we are going for promotion, or we are good enough for a promotion push.

It is time the board accept they are the ones pushing the expectations each year with their lines of bs to increase season ticket sales.

I think some fans need to think for themselves, rather than get taken in each year with the annual bullshit fest that is fed to us from the hierachy at Ashton Gate.

What happened to the saying ''The sky is the limit''

Expectations have come from the drivel spouted by lansdown Sexton et al, each season saying we can challenge for promotion. If you are stating that, then you have to back it up with the signing of players to get us there, not years and years of excuses, which we get. Yes money has been put in, which we are thankful for. But don't try and pull the wool over the fans eyes by signing average to below average players the say we are going for promotion, or we are good enough for a promotion push.

Is anything they've said unreasonable? We always aim for the play-offs, last season aside we've been a maximum of 3 places off them. There are only a handful of teams in the league who won't have aspirations of reaching those heights in pre-season, but only 6 can achieve it.

Is anything they've said unreasonable? We always aim for the play-offs, last season aside we've been a maximum of 3 places off them. There are only a handful of teams in the league who won't have aspirations of reaching those heights in pre-season, but only 6 can achieve it.

yes, lots. We have been getting worse and worse each season. The defence has got worse, used to be our one real positive, our scoring has got worse. Out best players released or sold and replaced by worse players, yet the board still think we can push for promotion or play offs.

If they believe that they are living in cloud cuckoo land, and those that buy into it I feel sorry for.

It is completely clear. Sell your better players, replace with in the most part mediocre, and expect a promotion push! They should work for the government with spin like that.

Expectations have come from the drivel spouted by lansdown Sexton et al, each season saying we can challenge for promotion. If you are stating that, then you have to back it up with the signing of players to get us there, not years and years of excuses, which we get.

'Lewin targets top two' headline from the back of the Evil Post on opening day, made me chuckle at the time.... I know you've got to be confident but top two?

We are where we are and cannot change that! I am sure Notts Forest (Euro cup winners), Pompey (ex prem and fa cup), Cov (ex prem) and Donny are all just as gutted and worried to be where they are now! The difference is that we hopefully are going to get fully behind our team and stay up!

Remember when we first got promoted to this leauge and all we wanted to do was stay up, has some fun and visit new grounds! We need to keep ourselves grounded and be happy to be fighting in the leauge it took so long to get into! One of the biggest in Europe!

All we can do as fans is get behind out team! @ForzaRevolution

yes, lots. We have been getting worse and worse each season. The defence has got worse, used to be our one real positive, our scoring has got worse. Out best players released or sold and replaced by worse players, yet the board still think we can push for promotion or play offs.

If they believe that they are living in cloud cuckoo land, and those that buy into it I feel sorry for.

It is completely clear. Sell your better players, replace with in the most part mediocre, and expect a promotion push! They should work for the government with spin like that.

Half truth, our defence has got worse but we have scored at least as many goals as in 07/08 every season since, and amazingly our highest return was last season.

Also you seem to suggest the board consciously buy players that aren't good enough?

we did start 442 unless del is lying or his players do not listen to his instructions. He said so live on the radio.

And Sky Sports said City were playing a diamond formation and those who went to the game say it was, in fact, much more like 4-5-1.

McInnes regularly refers to it as 4-3-3 when we play Yannick and Albert, so I think what we have here is terminological inexactitude.

This is a widely used but entirely redundant point. When we got promoted it was only because the teams below us were worse than us. That's how the league table has always worked, I believe.

Very smart peice of sarcasm - but it ignores the point I was trying to make.

In getting promoted, you MUST beat other teams in order to achieve promotion. In other words, be in control of your own destiny. The point I was trying to make is that the reason we're 20th is not because our current form is keeping us there, but because the teams below have not been able to convert the numerous opportunities we have given them to climb above us.

We are, theoretically, still in control of our own destiny but ONLY if we actually put some results together to maintain that position. We cannot go on dropping points in the hope that those below will, too.

In getting promoted, you MUST beat other teams in order to achieve promotion. In other words, be in control of your own destiny. The point I was trying to make is that the reason we're 20th is not because our current form is keeping us there, but because the teams below have not been able to convert the numerous opportunities we have given them to climb above us.

We are, theoretically, still in control of our own destiny but ONLY if we actually put some results together to maintain that position. We cannot go on dropping points in the hope that those below will, too.

But as much as there's a reason we're 20th, there's a reason why the teams below us are. Wherever we finish will be determined not only by our results but also of the teams above and below us, and those below us aren't making much of our poor form at present.

What if they pick up form? What if we do?

How about this for perspective, then:

• The form of the team is free-falling right now, so what makes anyone think that we can sustain a 1pt/game average? As someone else pointed out, we haven't scored a single goal this year on the road and we're now at the back end of February! I think everyone agrees we need around 16-17 points from 14 games for safety, that's 1.1-1.2pts/game average. This season, apart from the end of November when we averaged just over 1pt/game (1=20pts/19games), we've not come close.

• We WILL be relegated if we continue to capitulate to teams like Posh.

• The ONLY reason we are still above the relegation zone is because the teams below are worse than we are right now.

• Whether we survive or not, do you REALLY think that McInnes is going to be able to completely clear out the squad and build a completely new team in the space of the 10 weeks in the summer? If so, then you are the one with the irrational opinion. It is fair and reasonable to say that the majority of the squad, still under contract, will still be here next season. What is significant is who and how many McInnes will be allowed to bring in - IF he can persude them to come. McInnes needs KEY players, not a complete new squad!

Some good points, especially with the financial fair play rule coming in next season.

It was always going to be a gamble appointing someone who has only managed in Scotland though, unfortunately it is not paying off thus far.

Genuinely? I've never read so much utter drivel in my life. What planet are half of you on?

I'm hearing loads say they've almost had it with football lately, and do you know what? I'm almost there too, but not because of the standard of it, or the cost... The most depressing thing about is the fans of this club. **** me.

The guy has come here with the initial remit of keeping us up, considering with a quarter of the season gone we were adrift and on just SIX points and now we are SIX points clear of the relegation zone I think it's safe to say he is achieving with flying colours. People do realise that the accumulation of three managers long term mistakes have landed us with one of the most mediocre squads in the division? Filled with born losers and mercenaries? There are about 6 players at the club who have genuinely got the right attitude and 4 of them were signed by this manager.

For the love of god will you lot get some perspective? We don't have a god given right to win games and managers (even the best in the world) frequently make mistakes. I'm sure a lot of you would have gone 4-4-2 from the start today? Sounds to me like doing that second half led to us losing 2-0... So you all clearly know a shit load more than the manager eh?

Crock of ******* shit, is this forum at times. Only 300 people made the effort to get up there today... Maybe if some of you put as much energy into supporting as you do moaning the players might be given a lift and drag us out of what is a reasonably bad situation...

Christ.

+1

The problem with the majority of City fans is they watch a lot of football one dimensionally. A vast proportion don't see what goes on off the ball, they don't understand the technicalities of a large aspect of the game, and expect the world without taking into account the issues managers/players/board etc have to put up with. I would bet that 95% of our fans haven't played football before and if they have, at a pretty low level and not for long/recently. And yet they comment and b*tch and moan on here like they're the next Mourinho. If a manager could just come in and turn it round immediately then the league would be pointless - there has to be teams that aren't good enough and go down. And for me, that's us. It's not McInnes' fault, but like every body at the club, he has made mistakes in an attempt to improve our situation.

People don't see that, and the 300 or so that made the trip yesterday can only really talk of how the game was. The atmosphere was fantastic for the performance we were given and how small our following was. Add no in-ground bar, horrid weather and a fairly long journey to an absolute dive to that and I'm shocked how loud we were if I'm honest.

But seriously, the people on this forum bemuse me quite often.

+1

The problem with the majority of City fans is they watch a lot of football one dimensionally. A vast proportion don't see what goes on off the ball, they don't understand the technicalities of a large aspect of the game, and expect the world without taking into account the issues managers/players/board etc have to put up with. I would bet that 95% of our fans haven't played football before and if they have, at a pretty low level and not for long/recently. And yet they comment and b*tch and moan on here like they're the next Mourinho. If a manager could just come in and turn it round immediately then the league would be pointless - there has to be teams that aren't good enough and go down. And for me, that's us. It's not McInnes' fault, but like every body at the club, he has made mistakes in an attempt to improve our situation.

People don't see that, and the 300 or so that made the trip yesterday can only really talk of how the game was. The atmosphere was fantastic for the performance we were given and how small our following was. Add no in-ground bar, horrid weather and a fairly long journey to an absolute dive to that and I'm shocked how loud we were if I'm honest.

But seriously, the people on this forum bemuse me quite often.

I sort of agree with your points but would point out that you don't need to have played football at a high level to be a good manager. Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger, Gerard Houllier, Roy Evans and a number of others have shown that.

And Sky Sports said City were playing a diamond formation and those who went to the game say it was, in fact, much more like 4-5-1.

McInnes regularly refers to it as 4-3-3 when we play Yannick and Albert, so I think what we have here is terminological inexactitude.

and mcinnes himself said live on radio bristol it was 442. So I don't see what everyone is saying otherwise. So 1 he changed it at the last moment. 2 he lied 3 he doesn't know what formation he is playing. I'm only reporting. what came direct from the horses mouth

and mcinnes himself said live on radio bristol it was 442. So I don't see what everyone is saying otherwise. So 1 he changed it at the last moment. 2 he lied 3 he doesn't know what formation he is playing. I'm only reporting. what came direct from the horses mouth

That may have been his intention but as those who watched the match make clear in their posts, Albert dropped back and Cisse played very deep. We only went orthodox 4-4-2 with the introduction of Wood - which coincided with all our shots on goal.

As I say, McInnes has described line-ups with Yannick-Wood-Albert as 4-3-3, so it seems his definition of what playing "up front" entails is different from many. I'd say it implies two strikers.

Half truth, our defence has got worse but we have scored at least as many goals as in 07/08 every season since, and amazingly our highest return was last season.

Also you seem to suggest the board consciously buy players that aren't good enough?

no, the manager buys players that are not good enough, they supply the money. They regurgitate the same old rubbish every season about a promotion push, same old we have money for players. When in truth we will get 2nd rate pros and if we are lucky a bright prospect who is using us as a stepping stone.

The board know just like I would hope a majority of fans would know, we are unfashionable, and we are very unlikely to sign an experienced quality pro. We are not a club many decent players would come to.

Everything they say is to sell season tickets, the reality is none of it is worth listening to.

The only way we will get close to promotion to the top level is for a lot richer guy than lansdown to take charge. We had our chance with the momentum from promotion, I cannot see us ever getting close with this owner and board. No matter how good it is that lansdown puts the cash in, the fact of the matter is they continue to make mistakes, and more worryingly the same mistakes.

They have they best interests of the club, of that I have no doubt. I just don't think they are the right people to really take us to the promised land. Too many bad decisions from a footballing perspective, at least they are trying to get the financial side of it under control after spending millions.

Seen a few games this season and from what i've picked up it seems straight forward:

- We need a left back (or RB with Forster left, he looked decent there v Leeds) McGivern is massivly out of his depth. To slow for a fullback, poor positioning and a ropey touch. Away at Crawley he was getting shown up. Watching the Peterbrough goals all came down the left, and he was either out paced or not in shot till the ball hit the net. Any premier league youth team who's got a fullback with pace would surely be better? What about Joe Edwards?!?!? MoM v Hull last season on his debut!!

- We need a left sided ball player: Bolaise has potential, but to much like Adomah. Need variety. Best teams mix it up in midfield. You play 2 pacey players, its much easy to plan against then one pacey player and one ball playing creative wizard. Need a ball playing midfielder (Hartley, McIndoe (on his day) esq) to give us some variety. Cisse can tackle all day, Elliots got energy, Pearson looks a good all rounder and Skuse can play the best sideways passes in the league, but we've got no one to open up a defence. Adam Hamill would be my choice.

- Stop playing kilkenny - Takes bloody ages on the ball, but always asks for it. He's great at getting the ball off defenders in his own half, but bottles challenges, if he pushes on to much he doesnt track back and is massivly one paced.

We just need a settled back 4 and the goals should stop, get a creative midfielder who can get the odd goal, and we should be ok. And wouldnt mind a gamble on a young hungry striker from the prem on loan. Nimely at Cov's looks decent and hungry. Gamble on low cost loan. Worst case we go down, we dont have to pay they're wages, and if they're decent we might get them back. Best case we stay up and they might come back for the playoff push!!

Massive games coming up (Blackpool, Watford, Derby, Cov, Barnsley (H); Pompey, Forest (A). 8 home games v 6 away games in total. We win the home games, we stay up. Now we just need to get behind them every week starting with Blackpool.

COME ON CITY!!!

That may have been his intention but as those who watched the match make clear in their posts, Albert dropped back and Cisse played very deep. We only went orthodox 4- 4-2 with the introduction of Wood - which coincided with all our shots on goal.

As I say, McInnes has described line-ups with Yannick-Wood-Albert as 4-3-3, so it seems his definition of what playing "up front" entails is different from many. I'd say it implies two strikers.

well he clearly stated Albert was playing uptop with pitman. He must have changed his mind at the last minute. 451 and 433 can be quite fluid in change of formation as the game is played. 442 I really do not think can be described as anything else. Oh well I guess it keeps the fans on their toes

no, the manager buys players that are not good enough, they supply the money. They regurgitate the same old rubbish every season about a promotion push, same old we have money for players. When in truth we will get 2nd rate pros and if we are lucky a bright prospect who is using us as a stepping stone.

The board know just like I would hope a majority of fans would know, we are unfashionable, and we are very unlikely to sign an experienced quality pro. We are not a club many decent players would come to.

The only 2 players we've signed in a fair while under a cloud are Hunt & Pearson, Pearson who has a decent history & has been good for us, and Hunt... Well. Whether they are performing or not is another matter. How and why does signing big names have to correlate with promotion prospects? We are not a fashionable club but neither were Blackpool, who were directly referenced by the board in pre-season. I wonder whether we would have the luxury of our incumbent manager should the board have shared your 'optimism' during the interview process.

The only 2 players we've signed in a fair while under a cloud are Hunt & Pearson, Pearson who has a decent history & has been good for us, and Hunt... Well. Whether they are performing or not is another matter. How and why does signing big names have to correlate with promotion prospects? We are not a fashionable club but neither were Blackpool, who were directly referenced by the board in pre-season. I wonder whether we would have the luxury of our incumbent manager should the board have shared your 'optimism' during the interview process.

I agree, a big name does not mean success, but when you try and signp layers and they go to your rivals instead of you, then you have to ask questions. The answer is we are unfashionable, meaning a manager cannot get his first choice, so we are often left with 2nd 3rd or fourth choice.

Blackpool are one of those anomolies that happens occasionally, there is no reason it couldn't happen to us, but it rarely happens, a smaller club usually goes up through momentum from a previous season promotion.

As I said, IMO our chance has come and gone. If we are serious about promotion to the prem, we need wages and money spent on players greater than Lansdown can. Our only priority at the moment is staying in this division.

I am glad we have 15 out of contract, heaven forbid what kind of outlay in wages we would be paying at div 1 level if the worst was to happen.

I agree, a big name does not mean success, but when you try and signp layers and they go to your rivals instead of you, then you have to ask questions. The answer is we are unfashionable, meaning a manager cannot get his first choice, so we are often left with 2nd 3rd or fourth choice.

Blackpool are one of those anomolies that happens occasionally, there is no reason it couldn't happen to us, but it rarely happens, a smaller club usually goes up through momentum from a previous season promotion.

As I said, IMO our chance has come and gone. If we are serious about promotion to the prem, we need wages and money spent on players greater than Lansdown can. Our only priority at the moment is staying in this division.

I am glad we have 15 out of contract, heaven forbid what kind of outlay in wages we would be paying at div 1 level if the worst was to happen.

I think you've hit the nail on the head mate. Dm been given limited funds so loans have been the only option as we are in the pooh. And at least if we go down we can lower the wage bill pronto.

I think most level headed people know city are probably in about the right position. Bottom half champ, top 6 league 1.

Expectations have come from the drivel spoutedby lansdown Sexton et al, each seasonsaying we can challenge for promotion. Ifyou are stating that, then you have to back it up with the signing of players to get us there, not years and years of excuses, which we get.

Yes money has been put in, which we are

thankful for. But don't try and pull the wool over

the fans eyes by signing average to below

average players the say we are going for

promotion, or we are good enough for a

promotion push

It is time the board accept they are the ones pushing the expectations each year with theirlines of bs to increase season ticket sales.

I think some fans need to think for themselves, rather than get taken in each year with the annual bullshit fest that is fed to us from thehierachy at Ashton Gate.

Good shout, would agree

If we all just accepted we are a low championship or league 1 team at best what is the point bothering with football...

The whole point is to try and be as good as you possibly can.. and there isnt a limit for any football club. Anything can happen in football for example a small club could be bought by a billionaire and go flying up the leagues..

Bristol City shouldn't accept anything and should always stride to be better and get to the premier league. We could be there in 5 years.. i'm not saying we will be there in 5 years at all but anyone who says it's impossible obviously doesn't understand what football can do.

If we all just accepted we are a low championship or league 1 team at best what is the point bothering with football...

The whole point is to try and be as good as you possibly can.. and there isnt a limit for any football club. Anything can happen in football for example a small club could be bought by a billionaire and go flying up the leagues..

Bristol City shouldn't accept anything and should always stride to be better and get to the premier league. We could be there in 5 years.. i'm not saying we will be there in 5 years at all but anyone who says it's impossible obviously doesn't understand what football can do.

But we do accept it, under Wilson and Tinnion we accepted it and until GJ came in and changed the lazy, money grabbing, drink fueled and comfort zone behaviour, we then had a break of 2 years from the norm and then as usual at BCFC after a bit of success many of the players developed their Billy Big Bollox ways once more, the Coppell situation obviously didn't help and Millen was never charismatic enough to deal with it, I suspect DMC is having the same sort of problems with certain individuals that GJ had with other individuals at the start of his tenure.

But what makes matters worse is there is always BCFC fans who defend, excuse and stroke the egos of many of the worst offenders at BCFC and that's how we accept it.

Everything they say is to sell season tickets, the reality is none of it is worth listening to.

The only way we will get close to promotion to the top level is for a lot richer guy than lansdown to take charge. We had our chance with the momentum from promotion, I cannot see us ever getting close with this owner and board. No matter how good it is that lansdown puts the cash in, the fact of the matter is they continue to make mistakes, and more worryingly the same mistakes.

They have they best interests of the club, of that I have no doubt. I just don't think they are the right people to really take us to the promised land. Too many bad decisions from a footballing perspective, at least they are trying to get the financial side of it under control after spending millions.

agreed

the difference this season is that Lansdown is wasting his own money and - having ditched the family STs - far less of mine

There are about 6 players at the club who have genuinely got the right attitude and 4 of them were signed by this manager.

Priceless. Who are the other two btw, or have you as I suspected plucked a random number out of the air? Whilst I agree with your overall point that as fans we can be unrealistic and of course anyone calling for Del's head already is a total moron some people are at the other end of the scale. We can question McInnes when we are shit for a number of games in a row. When we appear to make the same mistakes. When we offer nothing in any area of the pitch.

Your comment sums this up for me. How the f ** k can you say that his four signings have the right attitude and the majority of the rest of the squad don't. That is based on nothing. If we take Albert, Elliot and Skuse. Which one of those doesn't have the right attitude when compared to Pearson, Foster, Wood and McManus? A nonsense comment that was not thought through and whatever differing opinions I may have to you based on footballing points this is not something you're usually guilty of.

I take it you went today then?

Of course he didn't.

We paid the third highest wage bill in the league last year.

Archived