IGNORED

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

BTRFTG

Yesterday was as poor a performance as I’ve witnessed in years, which prompts my brief return to this forum & draws together common themes from other threads.

The facts are:

Players: Foster, Fonts, Wilson, Skuse & Pitman may be good enough if embedded in a team of competent championship players, the remainder of first teamers are straight liabilities and must be disposed of. Skuse is the only ball winner we have at the club, period and he’s tasked to play as makeweight wherever management dictates. As at Posh, if he’s not playing & the other side are in possession we are only able to recover the ball when they make a mistake. Memories of Marv performing similar duties are long faded; thanks fella but the ‘boot peg’ exists for a reason, so use it. Successful midfields comprise a trinity of ‘ball winner’,’ holding’ & ‘creative’ , Cisse, Kilkenny & Pearson are unable to claim one attribute between them. Kilkenny’s ineptitude at twice failing to make the easy pass, thus creating Posh’s second, is a perfect case in point. Woolford – enough said. Keepers are usually benchmarked by ‘how many points they save a team each year’, in which case James exists wholly as ‘anti-keeper’. His distribution & box command are woeful. His propensity to blame anyone within earshot when he’s erred is reprehensible. If you turned in performances David I’d live with your idiosyncratic attitude & warm up routine; you don’t, I can’t , so please leave if only to prevent further loss of half-tidy pros such as Henderson. Defenders: the fact we desperately miss Louis when at his time in life he should be spending Saturday’s digging his allotment says all one needs to know about the ability of players such as McGivern, who merits specific comment. I never thought I’d live to see a defender slower than Brian Drysdale; McGivern’s proven me wrong. Devoid of pace, awareness & defensive nous;, who ever gave him the impression he’d make a professional footballer, moreover who the hell scouted him? Our left sided midfielders are impotent enough without having to first prioritise covering the fullback. Strikers: Pitman (& possibly Wood) will score hatful’s provided two conditions are met: (1) they are tasked not to leave the opposition box (2) they are given decent service. Neither condition is, has or looks likely ever to be met without a fire sale & a change in management attitude. Criticism of these & the departed striker is meaningless – akin to berating a paintless Picasso or guitarless Richard Thompson.

Management: Whilst McIness deserves sufficient time (and space) to demonstrate what he can do with his squad, not the rubbish he’s been gifted, there are reasons for us to be looking nervously around the stands. The way in which he’s set up some teams could do with him giving us the benefit of his thinking. His substitutions appear to benefit from inheritance of Johnson & MIllan’s lucky bag of lottery balls. In game transformation of an ‘isolated upfront’ to ‘Light Brigade offense’ post concession of the first never won for fair nor brave. Solid system equals success; always did, always will. I’ve no problem with him being inactive in the transfer window, his hands are tied until we know which league we’ll be in next year (for those unaware look at the salary cap/penalties applicable to League 1 next season.) The Ashton Gate fickle also needs to understand why we went for him – he was comparatively ‘cheap’. Given our losses I’ve no issue with that, fans simply need to understand this when questioning his knowledge of matters south of Berwick.

Fans: We ultimately get what we deserve. The deification of luxury lightweights has a price. Bolasie performs akin Des O’Conner at the Glasgow Empire, it’s not funny & is the modern equivalent of bear baiting. To save a repeat of Tuesday’s fiasco could the coach please show him the basics starting with how to tie his bootlaces. Adomah remains forever a ‘mirror & beads’ con trick, he’s the sable on an ermine coat. Had we 10 others who could play he’d be an entertaining distraction; we don’t, he isn’t, & his negatives far outweigh his plusses. Leaving London Road wishing we’d had the absurdly rotund, mulleted, though hugely productive Tomlin over a player who will long remain in the AG affections alongside Bent, Sproule other wastrel wingers induced another dose of reality, this in a season with fewer smiles than a Ken Loach documentary.

If we stay up it won’t be as a result of the fans, management or players, it’ll be due to the rare conjunction of three other clubs actually being worse than we are.

Yesterday was as poor a performance as I’ve witnessed in years, which prompts my brief return to this forum & draws together common themes from other threads.

The facts are:

Players: Foster, Fonts, Wilson, Skuse & Pitman may be good enough if embedded in a team of competent championship players, the remainder of first teamers are straight liabilities and must be disposed of. Skuse is the only ball winner we have at the club, period and he’s tasked to play as makeweight wherever management dictates. As at Posh, if he’s not playing & the other side are in possession we are only able to recover the ball when they make a mistake. Memories of Marv performing similar duties are long faded; thanks fella but the ‘boot peg’ exists for a reason, so use it. Successful midfields comprise a trinity of ‘ball winner’,’ holding’ & ‘creative’ , Cisse, Kilkenny & Pearson are unable to claim one attribute between them. Kilkenny’s ineptitude at twice failing to make the easy pass, thus creating Posh’s second, is a perfect case in point. Woolford – enough said. Keepers are usually benchmarked by ‘how many points they save a team each year’, in which case James exists wholly as ‘anti-keeper’. His distribution & box command are woeful. His propensity to blame anyone within earshot when he’s erred is reprehensible. If you turned in performances David I’d live with your idiosyncratic attitude & warm up routine; you don’t, I can’t , so please leave if only to prevent further loss of half-tidy pros such as Henderson. Defenders: the fact we desperately miss Louis when at his time in life he should be spending Saturday’s digging his allotment says all one needs to know about the ability of players such as McGivern, who merits specific comment. I never thought I’d live to see a defender slower than Brian Drysdale; McGivern’s proven me wrong. Devoid of pace, awareness & defensive nous;, who ever gave him the impression he’d make a professional footballer, moreover who the hell scouted him? Our left sided midfielders are impotent enough without having to first prioritise covering the fullback. Strikers: Pitman (& possibly Wood) will score hatful’s provided two conditions are met: (1) they are tasked not to leave the opposition box (2) they are given decent service. Neither condition is, has or looks likely ever to be met without a fire sale & a change in management attitude. Criticism of these & the departed striker is meaningless – akin to berating a paintless Picasso or guitarless Richard Thompson.

Management: Whilst McIness deserves sufficient time (and space) to demonstrate what he can do with his squad, not the rubbish he’s been gifted, there are reasons for us to be looking nervously around the stands. The way in which he’s set up some teams could do with him giving us the benefit of his thinking. His substitutions appear to benefit from inheritance of Johnson & MIllan’s lucky bag of lottery balls. In game transformation of an ‘isolated upfront’ to ‘Light Brigade offense’ post concession of the first never won for fair nor brave. Solid system equals success; always did, always will. I’ve no problem with him being inactive in the transfer window, his hands are tied until we know which league we’ll be in next year (for those unaware look at the salary cap/penalties applicable to League 1 next season.) The Ashton Gate fickle also needs to understand why we went for him – he was comparatively ‘cheap’. Given our losses I’ve no issue with that, fans simply need to understand this when questioning his knowledge of matters south of Berwick.

Fans: We ultimately get what we deserve. The deification of luxury lightweights has a price. Bolasie performs akin Des O’Conner at the Glasgow Empire, it’s not funny & is the modern equivalent of bear baiting. To save a repeat of Tuesday’s fiasco could the coach please show him the basics starting with how to tie his bootlaces. Adomah remains forever a ‘mirror & beads’ con trick, he’s the sable on an ermine coat. Had we 10 others who could play he’d be an entertaining distraction; we don’t, he isn’t, & his negatives far outweigh his plusses. Leaving London Road wishing we’d had the absurdly rotund, mulleted, though hugely productive Tomlin over a player who will long remain in the AG affections alongside Bent, Sproule other wastrel wingers induced another dose of reality, this in a season with fewer smiles than a Ken Loach documentary.

If we stay up it won’t be as a result of the fans, management or players, it’ll be due to the rare conjunction of three other clubs actually being worse than we are.

Well written Sir! Not a journalist are you?

The facts are what you say. Particularly substitutions. Cissee off rather than Killkenny yesterday leaves us incredibly lightweight and unable to win the ball and we were punished for it...

I am praying that we can find another midfielder from somewhere that can play a bit and even score the odd goal, but I'm praying harder that Coventry Doncaster and one from NF and Portsmouth are worse than us...Now that takes some doing!!

The facts are:

I've taken the liberty of increasing the font size of your post. Like I used to write years ago when you used to post more regularly - you're the best poster on this forum bar none.

Well written Sir! Not a journalist are you?

The facts are what you say. Particularly substitutions. Cissee off rather than Killkenny yesterday leaves us incredibly lightweight and unable to win the ball and we were punished for it...

I am praying that we can find another midfielder from somewhere that can play a bit and even score the odd goal, but I'm praying harder that Coventry Doncaster and one from NF and Portsmouth are worse than us...Now that takes some doing!!

I have to say that Cisse was terrible yesterday - his distribution was shocking - that can be the only reason he was subbed over Killkenny who was playing far too deep. What a state of affairs!

Archived