IGNORED

Reid, Edwards, Ribs

_Bristol-City_

So we blood the youngsters into a team shot on confidence, on a downward spiral, getting booed off most weeks?

Sorry lads, I cannot think a better way of ruining a young lads career. If we were heading upwards instead of downwards I would agree, this just is not the right time. Fans are not the most forgiving of breeds.

So we blood the youngsters into a team shot on confidence, on a downward spiral, getting booed off most weeks?

Sorry lads, I cannot think a better way of ruining a young lads career. If we were heading upwards instead of downwards I would agree, this just is not the right time. Fans are not the most forgiving of breeds.

Totally agree.

Agreed. Especially Reid now we've heard of Marv's injury.

Won't ever happen though. We'll bring in some old journeyman player on loan probably.

The same Bobby Reid who went to Cheltenham (league 2) on loan and got 0 minutes game time? He may be young, he may be bristolian but he isn't the answer!!

All these 3 should be brought through to the first team.

Joe Bryan also should be given a chance, think its more likely for Bryan and Edwards to make the squad on Saturday (unless he recalls Ribs or Reid)!

They're all talented players, we must give them a chance, I'm sure they'll fight for their places too.

I disagree, with a relegation fight you need experience, these players don't have that.

They personally are not good enough for the Championship, apart from Riberieo.

Edwards is currently with Yeovil, not sure he is able to make the step up, Bryan has really only had experience at Bath.

Why would we need Edwards and Riberio anyway? They are both right backs.

I noticed Joe Edwards played for the reserves yesterday and GJ said last weekend that he wasn't sure if we'd let him go back on loan to Yeovil due to our injury situation, which has got worse since then due to Elliott's injury. GJ used him in midfield at Yeovil, I believe, I'm not expecting him to start on Saturday, (Adomah, Kilkenny, Cisse and Pearson probably will) but as he can cover RB and midfield he might sneak a spot on the bench if no-one new arrives by Saturday. Pretty sure Ribeiro's loan is for two months so not sure we could recall him even if we wanted to.

Gerry Gow and Sir Geoffrey Merrick were just 17 when they made their debuts for City in this division.

Neither were giants and the 2nd division (and football in general) was more physical in those days.

If Bryan, Amadi-Holloway or Burns are seen as outstanding at youth level then we've very little to lose by giving one of them a chance.

Relative old stager Ribeiro should certainly be recalled if he has now proved his fitness and is in form.

I noticed Joe Edwards played for the reserves yesterday and GJ said last weekend that he wasn't sure if we'd let him go back on loan to Yeovil due to our injury situation, which has got worse since then due to Elliott's injury. GJ used him in midfield at Yeovil, I believe, I'm not expecting him to start on Saturday, (Adomah, Kilkenny, Cisse and Pearson probably will) but as he can cover RB and midfield he might sneak a spot on the bench if no-one new arrives by Saturday. Pretty sure Ribeiro's loan is for two months so not sure we could recall him even if we wanted to.

You're right Graham, 2 months it is.

Not sure how this works though, can't a player normally be recalled after the first month anyway?

Gerry Gow and Sir Geoffrey Merrick were just 17 when they made their debuts for City in this division.

Neither were giants and the 2nd division (and football in general) was more physical in those days.

If Bryan, Amadi-Holloway or Burns are seen as outstanding at youth level then we've very little to lose by giving one of them a chance.

Relative old stager Ribeiro should certainly be recalled if he has now proved his fitness and is in form.

You would be happy to crush a young players confidence getting bood off and abused home and away by sections of our fans?

I just don't think we can do that to them. if we were mid table I would happily go along with bedding them in. But there are times and situations for bringing youth into the first team, and this is not one of thos time IMO

You would be happy to crush a young players confidence getting bood off and abused home and away by sections of our fans?

I just don't think we can do that to them. if we were mid table I would happily go along with bedding them in. But there are times and situations for bringing youth into the first team, and this is not one of thos time IMO

I've seen you say this before yet I'm struggling to think of a single young City player who has ever had anything but encouragement and total support from the AG crowd.

If you are convinced that the rest of the team simply isn't good enough to allow the blooding of a promising youngster then that's a different argument, but either way I can't see any possibility of the crowd turning on a young player.

Just the opposite in fact, it would boost the crowd to see a young player making his debut and giving his all for the shirt and they would be right behind him.

All these 3 should be brought through to the first team.

Joe Bryan also should be given a chance, think its more likely for Bryan and Edwards to make the squad on Saturday (unless he recalls Ribs or Reid)!

They're all talented players, we must give them a chance, I'm sure they'll fight for their places too.

Based on.........??

I've seen you say this before yet I'm struggling to think of a single young City player who has ever had anything but encouragement and total support from the AG crowd.

If you are convinced that the rest of the team simply isn't good enough to allow the blooding of a promising youngster then that's a different argument, but either way I can't see any possibility of the crowd turning on a young player.

Just the opposite in fact, it would boost the crowd to see a young player making his debut and giving his all for the shirt and they would be right behind him.

I remeber the likes of Marvin Brown, Spencer Odajayi getting booed.

If we were nailed on certainties to go down, it could be okay to put them in as long as the crowd and everyone understood the gravity of the situation.much like in the early 80's where everyone got behind the team because they were on a hiding to nothing. Unfortunately we still have a good chance of staying up, if we blow it playing youngsters, you can be sure not only will the manager be chastised, but so will the youngsters, ewspecially if a youngster makes a mistake that costs us our place in the championship.

I remeber the likes of Marvin Brown, Spencer Odajayi getting booed.

Surprised to hear you say that, I don't remember that being the case at all. Either way these two are vastly outnumbered by the many over the years I can remember getting nothing but encouragement and support.

if we blow it playing youngsters, you can be sure not only will the manager be chastised, but so will the youngsters, ewspecially if a youngster makes a mistake that costs us our place in the championship.

You're quite negative about the prospect of playing young players - you never know they might even do well, inspire the crowd to really get behind the team and save our season. One of them may even score the goal that keeps us up.

I'm only glad Alan Dicks was bold enough to give early debuts to the likes of Gow, Merrick, Clive Whitehead, Gary Collier, Tom Ritchie etc., - often in trying circumstances - rather than let them fade away (or return to Scotland) through lack of first team chances.

We'd never have got promoted without them.

Apart from relegation

I'm only glad Alan Dicks was bold enough to give early debuts to the likes of Gow, Merrick, Clive Whitehead, Gary Collier, Tom Ritchie etc., - often in trying circumstances - rather than let them fade away (or return to Scotland) through lack of first team chances.

We'd never have got promoted without them.

You haven't read my posts noggers, I am quite the opposite, I'd love youngsters to given the chance, just not in the senario we are currently in.

I am not going to point them out but I have made various postings concerning Benny being the last manager to really give youth the chance and wish more of our managers did it.

You haven't read my posts noggers, I am quite the opposite, I'd love youngsters to given the chance, just not in the senario we are currently in.

I am not going to point them out but I have made various postings concerning Benny being the last manager to really give youth the chance and wish more of our managers did it.

Fair enough TRL. :thumbsup:

Joe Edwards had a great game for City when played in midfield one one-off- missed a sitter when he stumbled and 'did a Bas Savage' but, aside from that, he was a revelation with some tenacious tackling and surging runs. Sounds like he has been doing the same at Yeovil but apparently City only see him as a full-back. Would like to see 3-5-2 with Edwards in the middle and Ribeiro played as wing-back and Fontaine, Carey and Wilson (or McManus if fit) at the back.

On the fitness issue and 'discipline' generally we have been shooting ourselves in the foot a bit. Both Cisse and McManus stayed on the pitch when injured and we have conceded goals because of that. They should have told the bench immediately. Conversely, players we wanted on the pitch have been off because off the sendings off. There's only so many times things like that can be put down to not getting the 'rub of the green'. It's needlessly cost us points we can ill-afford to throw away. Likewise we are not getting penalties but have conceded a few.

Have to agree TRL. However would a youngster really do any worse than the likes of Woolford and JCR? At least they may have the hunger and desire, if not the experience. Ultimately I think it's irrelevant anyway as those mentioned are not good enough at present. Baring in mind Edwards is now 22, he is at an age where, like Wilson, if he is genuinely considered a long term prospect and a first team regular he would be more involved. I can't see it i'm afraid.

Your original point is probably right though, throwing a youngster in could do more harm than good. If they don't hit the ground running, with the poor run were on and expectant crowd it could damage confidence and effect them in the long run. Probably not the right time to blood the youth.

So when we do well the excuse is why change a winning forumula, it'll disrupt the team's formula and could make us play bad. When we play bad, we have to rely on experience when the same 'experienced' players have got us in the position we're currently in.

It's a lose - lose situation for the youth.

So when we do well the excuse is why change a winning forumula, it'll disrupt the team's formula and could make us play bad. When we play bad, we have to rely on experience when the same 'experienced' players have got us in the position we're currently in.

It's a lose - lose situation for the youth.

Youth imo should get their chance at the start of the season, see if you can bed a few in early and give them a decent run, not the occasional start.

If our youths are good enough, I hope del gives them a chance from the off next season.

Archived