IGNORED

Reid, Edwards, Ribs

_Bristol-City_

Have to agree TRL. However would a youngster really do any worse than the likes of Woolford and JCR? At least they may have the hunger and desire, if not the experience. Ultimately I think it's irrelevant anyway as those mentioned are not good enough at present. Baring in mind Edwards is now 22, he is at an age where, like Wilson, if he is genuinely considered a long term prospect and a first team regular he would be more involved. I can't see it i'm afraid.

Your original point is probably right though, throwing a youngster in could do more harm than good. If they don't hit the ground running, with the poor run were on and expectant crowd it could damage confidence and effect them in the long run. Probably not the right time to blood the youth.

You are right, Edwards ribs and Wilson can no longer be classed as youngsters, and if deemed good enough should be in contention. Woolford is one of the worst players I have seen, I think a youngster may display more physical presence than him! How did he lose the ability to play football so quickly?

I'd like to see Holloway, Bryan and Reid given the chance to prove themselves next season, they may flourish, they may fail, we will never know unless they are given a chance at this level

Joe Edwards had a great game for City when played in midfield one one-off- missed a sitter when he stumbled and 'did a Bas Savage' but, aside from that, he was a revelation with some tenacious tackling and surging runs.

...Against Weston-super-Mare.

You are right, Edwards ribs and Wilson can no longer be classed as youngsters, and if deemed good enough should be in contention. Woolford is one of the worst players I have seen, I think a youngster may display more physical presence than him! How did he lose the ability to play football so quickly?

I'd like to see Holloway, Bryan and Reid given the chance to prove themselves next season, they may flourish, they may fail, we will never know unless they are given a chance at this level

What worries me about Woolford other than the fact he is rubbish, is that he always seems to hide, not look all that bothered and doesn't put in the effort of a man that is determined to nail down a regular starting place.

Due to this I believe playing any of the youngsters considered good enough, or that may have the potential, e.g. Bryan, Holloway or Reid to be a better bet. I would also trust Del's judgement as to whether he felt it would make or break them.

Due to our situation though I would say we are only in a position to give one of those youngsters a chance at best.

IMO Ribs is better off staying where he is. Hes fit and playing well, Why bring him back and potentially cock up what has been a good season for him so far, by continually dragging him here there and everywhere.

Hes out of Contract isnt he come May ? there has been talk in press that that certain Championship clubs are keeping tabs on him as well. So it may be that perhaps City wouldnt be his first choice anyway if he completes the season injury free.

I would be suprised if its in Dels thoughts at all to consider any of them and he will persevere with what he has available. If he did and they performed it would force the clubs hand to negotiate new contract terms and i dont think thats in DEls remit for any of them.

Whether thats good enough remains to be seen.

IMO Ribs is better off staying where he is. Hes fit and playing well, Why bring him back and potentially cock up what has been a good season for him so far, by continually dragging him here there and everywhere.

Hes out of Contract isnt he come May ? there has been talk in press that that certain Championship clubs are keeping tabs on him as well. So it may be that perhaps City wouldnt be his first choice anyway if he completes the season injury free.

I would be suprised if its in Dels thoughts at all to consider any of them and he will persevere with what he has available. If he did and they performed it would force the clubs hand to negotiate new contract terms and i dont think thats in DEls remit for any of them.

Whether thats good enough remains to be seen.

Under Millen's reign he was going to run his contract out and from what I understand was looking to go to div 1 and rebuild his career. If that stance has changed I dunno. I would have thought del would want to check him out if he did have a future!

So we blood the youngsters into a team shot on confidence, on a downward spiral, getting booed off most weeks?

Sorry lads, I cannot think a better way of ruining a young lads career. If we were heading upwards instead of downwards I would agree, this just is not the right time.

When is? Most of our youngsters are Bristol boys, some are even city fans. They are playing for a future contract and are itching to show dhat they can do.

I'd prefer them pulling on the shirt and giving 100%.

Besides, you can't honestly say if we were fighting for a promotion spot or flirting with the playoffs, you'd advocate bringing the youngsters in?

When is? Most of our youngsters are Bristol boys, some are even city fans. They are playing for a future contract and are itching to show dhat they can do.

Besides, you can't honestly say if we were fighting for a promotion spot or flirting with the playoffs, you'd advocate bringing the youngsters in?

Read the whole thread, and you'll find my answer to that

You play them at the start of the season. Who said they would give 100% anyway?

Start of season is exactly the right time to get the younger players involved.

Bobby Reid had an excellent pre-season and he actually made his debut before the end of last season. I was looking forward to seeing him progress, but.........safety first as usual, and an over reliance on the old guard. Big big mistake, bad career decision for Millen.

I also thought Danny Ball had a very good pre-season at left back - hard as nails, loves to get stuck in and gets forward well. But no sign of him when the season started. What's the point of having an academy if you have management (Millen in this case) who are shit scared of change and stick with the usual names ?

The "academy" is a joke in comparison with the likes of Palace, Southampton, Nowich, middlesbrough, Cardiff etc etc, all of whom regularly play 17 and 18 year olds and reap the benefit.

Until we get a manager who has the foresight and balls to give the younger players a chance at the right time, all this club will do is ensure that it ruins young players who could have had a decent career in the game.

I hope we now have a manager who will give the younger players a chance at the right time.

I have said this before, but didn't a saints fan say Del never promoted their youth, he chose to buy in

Bobby Reid had an excellent pre-season and he actually made his debut before the end of last season. I was looking forward to seeing him progress, but.........safety first as usual, and an over reliance on the old guard. Big big mistake, bad career decision for Millen.

Extremely easy to say that with no evidence to back it up. In the play-off final season, for instance, we won only 1 game in pre-season and Phil Jevons was the scorer. Within reason it means very little.

Well, Yeovil have signed two new players on loan today so Joe Edwards certainly isn't going back to Somerset.

Whether that means he'll get a chance in BS3 in the near future remains to be seen.

As for Ball and Reid, the former has been badly hampered by injuries at the wrong times, whereas Reid's loan at Cheltenham where he failed to even make the subs bench after just one game with them can't have done him any favours.

Well, Yeovil have signed two new players on loan today so Joe Edwards certainly isn't going back to Somerset.

Whether that means he'll get a chance in BS3 in the near future remains to be seen.

As for Ball and Reid, the former has been badly hampered by injuries at the wrong times, whereas Reid's loan at Cheltenham where he failed to even make the subs bench after just one game with them can't have done him any favours.

Reid right club, wrong time, they were on a great run of form, and i guess you dont change the team unless you really have to.

I have said this before, but didn't a saints fan say Del never promoted their youth, he chose to buy in

Perhaps there wasn't a great deal to promote at St.Johnstone - do they have an established academy, or similar, with the expectation that it will reap rewards for the club?

You'd think any manager being employed by Bristol City - especially at a time of well publicised cut backs - would be well briefed that the Academy existed for a reason and they would be expected to use it.

You'd think a willingness to give youth a chance would be a prerequisite for getting the job.

City do seem to get terrible luck with injuries to our most promising youngsters just when they may be ready to step up.

Ball is a good case in point along with both Ribeiro and Wilson.

Jordan Walker was another recent example of a talent blighted by repeated serious injuries, and between them they could have comprised our whole defence by now under more fortuitous circumstances.

We always seem to have a reason not to play our youngsters, whilst other Clubs just give them a go. When Edwards played at the end of last season he looked OK, and maybe if we could get 3 or 4 into the First Team over the next year or so, we could bring in quality, rather than quantity. It might also act as an incentive for more talented youngsters to join City. Sometimes you have to take a slightly longer-term view, otherwise we will be forever a team of mediocre journeymen. And could either Edwards or Ribiero be any worse defensively than McGivern?

We just don't seem to be producing players who are good enough for whatever reason. I dont think we can blame our managers not playing them as after they have been released none of them have appeared to do anything of note bar Ryan Harley. If they were good enough surely they would have set the world a light when they were at Forrest green or whoever playing reguarly at a much lower level than us.

Think it really needs to be looked at the scouting and/or coaching in the academy clearly isnt up to scratch.

Archived