IGNORED

Any Potential Midfielders Available For Loan?

leadman

we ether need a hard tacking midfielder so we can play kilkenny or a creative mdifileder to play with cisse,

Sean Davis or Maloney fits them whether they are avilable is a different kettle of fish,

Is Edwards fit? as I would be tempted to push Foster into midfield on the left and play pearson in the middle with Cisse and Play Edwards at right back and McGiven or Mcallister at Left back

So he couldnt get a game at Cheltenham? This was a player who looked the part towards the end of last season and in pre season playing in the first team here

We have to start giving players like him a go to see if they sink or swim at this level, not relying on their progress on non playing parts at a different level as an indicator of what they will do at this level, because its a different style and level entirely.

Just because they didnt get a game lower down doesnt mean Reid is not worthy of a go now.

Out midfield is weak and light wieght and you want to play the most lightwieght player we have on our books?

He played 1 game at the end of last seaon coming on as a 80th minute sub in a game that was meaningless and we'd already won how can he look the part in that?

Unlikely I’d say. Loan players most of the time are available for loan for one reason. They’re not good enough to get into their own team. Caulker was a one off and we need a Midfielder in the same mould.

Unfortunately if a player/s like that exist, one would they want to come to us, and secondly we’d most likely have to pay (we missed out on that Chelsea defender because of that reason) and has SL locked his Cheque book in the draw. :dunno:

Maybe a few hundred grand outlay on a Caulker type of Midfielder for the rest of the season, if we can identify one, and they are of course willing to come and save our season is a must. The thing is which I’m sure (well I hope so!) has crossed SL mind, is relegation is going to cost a hell of a lot more than a few hundred grand, and without strengthening I really do feel we’re going to go down, as a gap has already appeared and it looks like the bottom 6/7 are in a mini league of their own. In any of the bottom 3 start to improve, and we carry on as we are, then it’s off to Bury next season. :facepalm:

As Ashton1 said, maybe Foster could be the answer?

What#s the obsession with having 'bruisers' in midfield? At this rate we could have Maradona and Messi waiting in the youth academy but we would never play them on the grounds that they were a bit 'light weight'

From what Ive seen and heard he can pick a pass, something that most of our midfield cannot do at all. With that in mind, its worth a go. We havent got anything to lose because we have been playing like turd for months and that is despite getting 'experience' in and wasting even more amounts of money in the process through various parts of the team

If he doesnt do well, he doesnt do well. At least we will have given him a chance to see if can do it, rather than write him off completely over a loan somewhere else.

championship status for a start

What#s the obsession with having 'bruisers' in midfield? At this rate we could have Maradona and Messi waiting in the youth academy but we would never play them on the grounds that they were a bit 'light weight'

From what Ive seen and heard he can pick a pass, something that most of our midfield cannot do at all. With that in mind, its worth a go. We havent got anything to lose because we have been playing like turd for months and that is despite getting 'experience' in and wasting even more amounts of money in the process through various parts of the team

If he doesnt do well, he doesnt do well. At least we will have given him a chance to see if can do it, rather than write him off completely over a loan somewhere else.

How many time's have you seen him play then?? Unless you attend an awful lot of reserve games , I'm going to say never.

Yes and its that paralysis that has caused us to end up where we are now in the first place. Something that Ive put forward as a point severly times before. We are so scared of losing our status, that we have completely lost the plot interms of developing players with in. Going for short term fixes to a problem on the field and spending countless hundreds of thousands, possibly millions on players and wages that add nothing, dont solve any existing problems, wont be developed or have any benefit for us, other than 'possibly' scraping pass the finish line, to repeat the whole charade again.

By doing that we ignore what youth players we do have, and expect them to perform at a lower level, which is a completely different beast to this one, and write them off as being rubbish, even though they dont get to the first team to see if they can make a difference.

There used to be a time when youth would get a go, irrespective of relegation and promotion, but the team/club/fans have some how convinced itself that youth cannot be the answer when the stakes are too high. Yet loads of other clubs, including Barnsley, Derby, Cardiff, Southampton, Watford etc etc. Actually play their youth players to see if they can make it and some of them will have had exactly the same worries as we do. However they arent panicked and 'always' looking to buy in or loan someone else's youngsters as an answer as we seem to do and it has set back the team a number of years because of it and unsurprisingly we are beginning to suffer.

It's bit hard to build a foundation for a team, if we have none?

Glyn, I'm sick to death of the whole 'how many times do you go' and then a glib assumption of what I've seen and what 'Ive not seen in order to get 'one up'. It's churlish, futile and doesn;t promote discussion. If you dont like it fine, but trying to besmirch a poster seems to be de rigeur here at the expense of proper discussion.

So rather than going down the same dull avenues, what is your suggestion for solving the current midfield 'crisis'?

Straight on the defensive eh !!! I didn't ask how often you go , I asked how many times you had seen him play. I'll go first , I've seen him once , there , easy.

The reason I asked , is because so far Bobby Reid has made 2 , count 'em , 2 substitute appearances in his short career. He came on as substitute for City v Hull in the 58th minute of last season's last game. He then appeared as a sub in the 89th for Cheltenham v Southend this season.

So if you've "seen" that he can pick a pass from those 35 minutes or so of action , then fair play , I suggest you give the club a ring and ask them for a scouting job. That's assuming , of course , that you were at Ashton Gate and Whaddon Road for the 2 games in question.

My suggestion for the midfield 'crisis' , It depends on who is available , but 4-4-2 with a midfield of Adomah , Kilkenny , Pearson and either Bolasie/Woolford/JCR looks like the ony option , unless Spence and McAllister get re-calls , then Foster could possibly play wide left of midfield. It's a tricky one , but I dont think I would throw Reid straight into the team for Saturday.

Straight on the defensive eh !!! I didn't ask how often you go , I asked how many times you had seen him play. I'll go first , I've seen him once , there , easy. The reason I asked , is because so far Bobby Reid has made 2 , count 'em , 2 substitute appearances in his short career. He came on as substitute for City v Hull in the 58th minute of last season's last game. He then appeared as a sub in the 89th for Cheltenham v Southend this season. So if you've "seen" that he can pick a pass from those 35 minutes or so of action , then fair play , I suggest you give the club a ring and ask them for a scouting job. That's assuming , of course , that you were at Ashton Gate and Whaddon Road for the 2 games in question. My suggestion for the midfield 'crisis' , It depends on who is available , but 4-4-2 with a midfield of Adomah , Kilkenny , Pearson and either Bolasie/Woolford/JCR looks like the ony option , unless Spence and McAllister get re-calls , then Foster could possibly play wide left of midfield. It's a tricky one , but I dont think I would throw Reid straight into the team for Saturday.

Not expecting a 'straight' answer I hope.

I was talking about holloway I want edwards to play,

Ried isn't the anwser we already have 1 play lightwiegt and can pass a bit called Kilkenny we play two this weekend then expect to be beaten by double figures

OUR YOUTH TEAM ARENT PRODUCING YOUNGSTERS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH PERIOD!

name the youth players who we've let go for nothing thats gone on to better things,

There is only one and thats it

Okay, cool regarding Holloway,

Reid isn't the answer because we have Kilkenny who has been bunk most of the season? Because he has been naff for most of it, couldnt he be dropped as he adds pretty much naff all to the proceedings largely and is a passenger?

-----------------Cisse(not sure if fit or not tbh)-----------

Adomah------- Pearson--------Foster/McAllister

-------------------Reid

Maybe?

As for not producing.. to answer your point again. How will we know if they are not good enough if we never play them at this level?

So players have been released, so what, not every player will make it. it happens. I gave examples of us above taking chances with youth players rather than loaning them to lower league teams and writing them off. I've given what I think to be the answer, as to why that is and that is being paralysed by fear..

because when they get reliesed by the club they never play at our level or drop out of football all together, only one who came back stronger was the brighton lad,

Simpson Plummer Benyon Woodman Brown Artis Fortune and I could go on with another 40 names all got reliesed and some the club were critisesd for but all are not good enough for our level,

If they were good enough they would be playing or atleast making the bench like wilson has

Del should go for it and ring up Manchester United to see if we can take Paul Pogba on loan until the end of the season.

Completely agree Jordan.That's exactly the sort of player we should be trying to get in, but I can't see Fergie letting us have any Man Utd players as Peterborough are still in the drop mix at the moment, so that's one club we can knock off the list for help I'm afraid.

The dropping out happens with every club, even Man Utd.. We are not alone in that score, but even then some get a chance elsewhere. For all the players you mentioned, there is always a counter

Dave Cotterill (upwards, but now at Barnsley), Skuse (still here) Matt Hill, Tommy D (went upwards before crashing), as did Scott Golbourne (Reading, Exeter, now at Barnsley iirc) Joe Anyinsah, (went upwards, before playing all over, now at Rovers) Danny Coles (Upwards to Hull at the time iirc, injuries set him back now at Exeter)..

It could be stretched to the nth degree, but for the most part, with the exceptions of Golbourne and Anyinsah, perhaps ( who never got going here), they all had a decent amount of games to prove themselves even Aaron Brown went upwards initially signing for QPR iirc who were then a league above before, injuries again took their toll.

Not a complete disaster playing or blooding youth is it?

yes but we sold all those players and they were blooded because they were good enough our current crop are not good enough it really is that simple,

In my work I watch a hell of a lot of premier league reserve sides, and we see other sides in our division loan young players from top clubs with success, these players don't have high wages, and they're the raw creative talent that we could really do with in our squad if we can't bring it through ourselves. If we need a player in central midfield, there are lots at top clubs in their reserves that would really make a difference. I have no idea if they would all be available on loan, but there's no harm making approaches, we can make 100 aproaches and get 99 nos but we would eventually get someone in, Blackpool, are an example of that.

Manchester United have Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingaard and Davide Petrucci, I've watch a lot of all three and they're excellent talents that could make a huge difference, the same with Mehdi Abeid at Newcastle, Toni Silva and Suso at Liverpool, all the top clubs have championship quality young players in their reserves, I don't know whether we just don't have scouts at these reserve matches or whatever, but there's definitely players out there.

Archived