IGNORED

End Of Blackthorn

dragonreds

Picked up one of the bosses from Blackthorn. Had a little chat where I said my local changed to Natch within the firast few weeks of the new recipe. He admitted that since they did that sales have plumeted to such a level they are seriously thinking of discontinuing the line. Don,t shoot me but you heard it her first

I thought they reverted the old recipe as 'Blackthorn Dry' and sold that around the westcountry.. the new stuff still sold in trendy bars elsewhere in the country.

I thought they reverted the old recipe as 'Blackthorn Dry' and sold that around the westcountry.. the new stuff still sold in trendy bars elsewhere in the country.

I mentioned this and the reply was a lot of us who changed brands have not returned and the new recipie has not taken off the way they hoped it would. I switched to Natch and have not come back

At the time, when they changed the recipe, i went to the unveiling of it down the Pumphouse and it was a case of why are you changing it? Terrible piece of marketing and PR from them and the brand has never recovered. Rumours of them mixing the old and new stuff in together at their factorys hasn't helped at all. From someone who drank it religously before the brand switch, apart from maybe a few months after they brought the newer recipe out i very rarely buy it now, usually when i've no other choice but too. Its not the same as it was and now Thatchers have stepped up, i think you will find that is the casual cider drinkers choice these days. It doesn't shock me that they are considering discountinuing it.

Will be glad to see the back of it.

I'm in the pub trade and I can tell you now that whenever you get a brain-dead knucklehead trouble-maker through the door, the first thing they will grunt is, "Ere, mate, you got any Blackforn?".

As the OP has alluded to, they have probably adopted Natch (no offence to the OP, not suggesting that he is necessarily one of them), but at least that is a one syllable word and easier for them to pronounce.

Archived