IGNORED

Would Relegation Be Such A Disaster?

bangers

Now before you shout me down here me out.

We have seen the likes of Southampton and Norwich fall from grace, only to rebuild, gain momentum and come back a stronger better side.....

Now if we go down there is no doubt a lot of the dead wood will go, And also a chance that some of those with long term deals who aren't good enough will leave.....paving the way for a complete overhaul of the playing squad.....something this club needs. Granted our best players will leave, but can't they be replaced?

The problem with this club is the likes of killenny Woolford etc who aren't good enough....the only way I can see them go Is if we go down......

What worries me is that if we do stay up, ten a lot of the dead wood will STAY......and next season we will again be fighting against the drop.....

There is no guarantee that we will go back up, but it might be a case of gaining the confidence that we are so lacking at the moment.....

Not sure, but I think that both Norwich and Southampton did not come back up with the managers who took them down?

The history of this club, and I've been watching them a long long time, suggests we will not be a bounce back club.

One final point, just cast your mind back to the brilliantly touching montage of photos someone put together to the song Gravity by Embrace, when we finally got out of League 1, and ask yourself if it would be such a bad thing.

Wouldn't it be easier to post a link to this exact same topic about two weeks ago, or just regurgitate it?

No, because that would require scrolling down pages and hunting for it.....if you want to spend your time doing that then go for if.

If you believe some on this forum relegation would be the best ever thing to happen to this club. I can't believe we didnt do this long ago , all that effort of trying to win promotion what a waste of time.

It was a good job we didn't win that play off final we would have two divisions away from leauge one and that would have been a disaster.

I guess it all boils down to the ultimate goal of the board. What do they want from BCFC? If we get the new stadium are they going to invest seriously in to the team to creat one strong enough for a prem challenge? Are they satisfied to have an average to struggling championship team? Are they happy to become a championship/ L1 yoyo club?

The new stadium has taken a lot of focus in recent years and the team seem's to have been forgotten, well not forgotten, but we don't tend to hear from the board what they want to achieve in the short term.

I think relegation would be a disaster if the board just sit back and watch but it could turn out to be a success if they back Del and give him the chance to totally rebuild the squad. Time will tell I guess.

The forum has a search option. I'd look, but this new forum is clunky and sketchy enough on a computer, let alone on a mobile where it's virtually unusable. I can't even quote your post.

My answer is relegation will be a disaster. I'll go into why when it doesn't take several seconds for each word to appear on here on my iPhone.

A lot of us have spent the majority of the last 30 years watching City in league one ( 3rd division).

As a club we are a top of league one bottom of Championship club.

Get used to it because except for the odd year or two that is where will be in 30 years time.

That type of defeatist attitude is part of the problem with the club . Even SL said a few weeks ago that Bristol is all to ready to accept mediocrity.

I don't want to watch City in the lower leagues we should be better than that it's only poor decesions and lack of ambition which hold us back.

The forum has a search option. I'd look, but this new forum is clunky and sketchy enough on a computer, let alone on a mobile where it's virtually unusable. I can't even quote your post.

My answer is relegation will be a disaster. I'll go into why when it doesn't take several seconds for each word to appear on here on my iPhone.

So you waste your time moaning about a thread only to say you can't be bothered to search using an iPhone (which I'm using).

The only positives I can see is less away travel with a fair few localish sides and not having to leave at so early to get down the gate to get a parking space.

The idea of at least one season (i expect it to be longer) in the 3rd division fills me with dread

Relegation would be a disaster BUT I feel that having so many players out of contract is a positive and would allow McInnes to quickly rebuild.

Would just rather he had the opportunity to do that with us still in the C'ship...

Agree it would be a disaster to be relegated.

Not sure I agree with letting McInnes re-build. If we go down he will be the man whose team was outside the bottom three, went through a transfer window and got the relegated...

Relegation would be awful

At least 3 mill a season lost from revenues inc prize fund and sponsorship, then the FFP rules at 70 per cent or whatever the agreed amount is, meaning that we will see lots of cutting and probably not much in the way of replacement. Certainly not the level that some on here expect. perhaps one or two and the youth played to make sure we arent docked points or whatever because of the FFP

As said elsewhere we seem to be following the PNE model of self destruction and they are now really struggling in the league below, having been dependent on loans and short term signings to keep them up last year rather than sorting deficiencies long term. There is nothing, nothing to say we wont do any different. It's going to be a tough ride.

And don't rule another relegation fight. There is absolutely nothing being shown by the manager at the moment that he is capable of motivating a team at the next level down. We will not suddenly become the Barca of Lge 1 (sound familiar?) just because we go down.

That type of defeatist attitude is part of the problem with the club . Even SL said a few weeks ago that Bristol is all to ready to accept

mediocrity.

I don't want to watch City in the lower leagues we should be better than that it's only poor decesions and lack of ambition which hold us back.

I'm not being defeatist at all, I'm just spelling out the facts. You may not want to watch City in the lower leagues but you probably will have to.

The defeatist attitude is ALL OVER the forum, not from me though.

If we do have a cap on wages to turn over we are right royally screwed, going down will put us miles behind the championship pace, I'm not entirely certain what leeway we would have to bring in New signings either, as what we have is going to be Damn close to the threshold, if not already over it.

If we go down it could possibly be the worst ever thing that has happened to us.

Absolute disaster if we get relegated as we will end up down there for many seasons and may end up playing the Gas Scum. Squad overhaul or not I don't want to be going to Chesterfield and Carlisle for away trips. I would like to go to grounds like Upton park and St Andrews!!

COYR you can get out of this mess!

I see people using Norwich and Southampton as examples but we no way near have the fan base or a recent history like these two clubs. Clubs like these would always be better equipped than us to come straight back. Even so, look at bigger clubs like Sheff Wed and Leeds, good examples that league one is not as easy as 'bouncing back'. Preston would be a better example. Got to a play off final and have been a steady championship side for years slowly on the decline. Look at them this year in league one, struggling like mad to 'bounce back'. Whilst going down would not be the end of the world, I truly believe it wouldn't be far off for us.

Our mugs on the pitch I'm sure will enjoy visiting Torquay, Cheltenham, Exeter, Yeovil, Bournemouth, Swindle ..... the only problem is we'll get beaten. Think the Bentley's will look somewhat out of place in the car parks though.

Losing to lower division teams in cups year-on-year was the warning sign ... time to bring on the yoof. Let's see if the vast investment in the academy at the expense of a decent scouting system is going to pay dividens.

Can't do any worse than the current useless bunch of mercenaries who plague the first team squad. Might play for the shirt and put their bodies on the line ... that will be an improvement at least.

That type of defeatist attitude is part of the problem with the club . Even SL said a few weeks ago that Bristol is all to ready to accept mediocrity.

Cant really understand SL saying that, he (was)(still is) the man at the top with the money and with the right leadership would have paved the way for success on the field but it seems that the Mighty New Stadium seemed to eclipse what has been going on at the coalface, Money doesnt mean success but it does help, has he now lost interest and gone to Bristol Rugby to build a new stadium for them, if so he should be upfront with the supporters. A lot of us have spent our entire lives being promised things from AG, the support will always be there because we love our club but in the real world we must be the strongest supporters in England considering the wasted potential we have always had to live with . League 1....I hope it doesnt happen as we ARE NOT a bounce back club, lets just hope there is a God who wears a red and white scarf !!

Obviously relegation would be a temporary 'disaster' because all teams want to get promoted - or get into the play-offs or at least stay up. What are we here for otherwise? However it would not be death - as some clubs are facing right now. If the worst happens, it will be how we respond that determines which camp we're in - Southampton's or PNE's.

But now is the time we can do something to try to avoid 'disaster'.

Much easier to scarap around bottom clubs to avoid going down than have to fight among top clubs to get up.

Derek's going to scrap and scratch and I assume he's going to get the players to do the same.

What are we supporters going to do?

We ought to be supporting to the best we can do!

Bring your scarves!

Bring Your Passion!

If we go 0-1 down - 'Come on You Reds!'

There's a move to get new 'Surfer Flags'

I'd like to see them ready for the Coventry game.

Send in your jpg design to info@bristolcityst.org.uk

Put your money in the collection boxes!

Come to Ashton Gate and Support!

Archived