IGNORED

Would Relegation Be Such A Disaster?

bangers

A lot of us have spent the majority of the last 30 years watching City in league one ( 3rd division).

As a club we are a top of league one bottom of Championship club.

Get used to it because except for the odd year or two that is where will be in 30 years time.

Spot on, in my case 60 years. :dunno:

Disaster is a strong word, more akin to earthquakes and the like. But if your a drama queen ( and there are plenty of those on here ) then yes it would be a disaster. For the rest of us, it would be a bad day before dusting ourselves down rolling our sleeves up and then getting on with supporting the team we all love!

I'm not sure if disaster would be the right word to describe relegation but not far from it. Just spend a few moments to look at the league one/league two table and the likely teams we could be facing, and then think back to what life was like when we were last in league one. We'll be back to watching us playing teams who bring a coach load of supporters, the atmosphere is likely to be even quieter than now, and if we aren't playing well the supporters will be a lot less forgiving than they are now as in that league a lot of supporters will have the misguided belief that we should be turning up and steam rolling teams.

I don't want to come across as arrogant towards the clubs in league one but who would you rather be playing week-in week-out? The likes of Southampton, West Ham, Birmingham, Reading, Ca*diff etc or Stevenage, Colchester, Hartlepool, Bury, Carlisle, MK Dons etc. I'll be there regardless of who we're playing but the fairweather fan won't flock to Ashton Gate every week to watch us play unless it's the business end of the season and we're challenging for promotion. Then again, if our home form was to carry on in the championship like the last few years, then rediscovering the winning habit and the goalscoring touch in league one would be a lot more uplifting then watching us lose every week.

What concerns me is our long-term future if we do go down. Will we be able to keep hold of our best assets in League One? Albert Adomah will be off to help balance the books a little, and also for his own career progression. Will we be able to balance the books enough in league one so that we're not losing £11 million a year? Also...what will happen with regards to the stadium? Will we give up on that long-term goal? I think it's imperative that the stadium does eventually get built regardless of what division we're in. If we want to be a sustainable, successful, ambitious football club playing in the top two divisions, then it just has to get built. Other arguably smaller clubs have moved on while we've stagnated. Steve Lansdown does seem committed to building the stadium, so hopefully this goal will be unchanged, whether or not we get relegated. I love Ashton Gate, have many fond memories of the place and will be extremely sad to ever leave it, but I do feel it's vital for us to move on if we are serious about achieving success and dragging Bristol along with us.

As long as Lansdown stays committed then hopefully we'll be ok if do get relegated. I know it's arguably a completely different situation, but Plymouth Argyle chased the dream in the championship after their initial success..then results tended to get worse, fans lost interest a bit (in terms of average attendances), and now look at them. Losing the money we're losing each year without a committed, wealthy benefactor is unsustainable.

Hopefully all of the above I've written will prove immaterial and the squad will fight now to get enough points to pull us over the finishing line. This week is a HUGE one in terms of the future success of the football club. Hopefully the players that beat Southampton twice, drew at West Ham, won at Leicester turn up this week, and not those that seemed to have just accepted defeat on the road recently. I can't remember a season where we've had so many players pick up injuries, but rather than cursing our bad luck, I feel that with a positive Ashton Gate, a change of attitude and mind-set from the players (even if just sparked by a lucky goal off Cisse's posterior or an undeserved penalty) it can be done. I'd love to see Mcinnes keep us up and then I and most others would be genuinely excited to see what he can do in the summer. If we can get some points on the board this week, with the likes of Barnsley, Derby, Coventry and Watford still to play at home, then survival IS achievable. Hopefully the terrible run we've been on recently will all be forgotten by 1930 Saturday evening, and then we can all toast a happy week with a few ciders in the local establishments!

Relegation would be a disaster BUT I feel that having so many players out of contract is a positive and would allow McInnes to quickly rebuild.

Would just rather he had the opportunity to do that with us still in the C'ship...

For me there is no positive whatsoever by getting relegated, if we go down it puts us back years, we would be in the position we find ourselves in now as we would be unable to attract championship standard players in the division below. If we stay up we can clear out the dead wood once and for all and start to build a championship squad to kick us on.

Archived