IGNORED

Impatient Fans - A Dose Of Reality For You

Harry

I read this on another thread today and it makes more sense that anything else I've seen in a few weeks on here. Quote below is courtesy of BTFRG (thanks) :

We're missing (in order of priority):

• A combative midfield
  • A holding midfield
  • A creative midfield
  • Any midfield
  • A left back able to defend
  • Clean sheets
  • Wide men with an end product
  • A commanding centre half not afraid to put his head/foot through it
  • His partner
  • A non self-obsessed, reliable keeper
  • Shape
  • Presence
  • Intimidation
  • Commitment
  • Pitman/Wood being confined to the box & given service
  • A scouting system that unearths a few gems
  • An academy that stops producing non-league fodder
  • An end to the myth that we need a new stadium
  • Clarks pies at half time

What this is pretty much getting at for me is that we have a very poor squad with which it is a hard job for any manager to get results with.

I've heard an awful lot of rubbish on here recently and some seriously concerning reactions from a lot of posters. I honestly can't believe a lot of you are judging the new manager after not even half a seasons worth of games. I've read some incredibly disheartening comments with some people saying we'd be better of with Millen, and that Mcinnes' signings have made the team worse.

I wanted to give you a few stats, just for some realism. And these stats will pretty much back up the fact that it's the squad as a whole which is not good enough and that the manager is seriously up against it with a poor group of players.

Millen had 10 games in charge this season, having had plenty of time to bring together a squad and spent nyon £2m in doing so. His 10 games in charge resulted in 6 points (= 0.6 points per game). We scored on average 0.8 goals per game and conceded on average 2 goals per game. We gained 2 points at home in 5 games against teams that are rated on average at 11th in the table.

He left us with a highly unbalanced squad of poor players having had time and money.

McInnes so far has taken charge of 22 games and has gained 25 points (1.14 points per game) - better than under Millen. We have scored an average of 0.86 goals per game - better than under Millen. We have conceded on average 1.45 goals per game - better than under Millen. Our home record shows 14 points gained in 10 games (350% better than under Millen) against teams that average 11th in the table (i.e. the same difficulty of opposition).

Now whilst the overall stats would suggest McInnes is doing a much better job than Millen, lets be fair and judge him on the last 10 games (i.e. the same Millen had this season).

McInnes has gained 7 points in the last 10 games versus Millen's 6 points. So only narrowly better. We scored 6 goals versus 8 from Millen's team - so 2 goals worse off. We've conceded 22 versus Millen's 20, so 2 worse off again.

So on the face of it, a slightly better points ratio, but we are scoring slightly less and conceding slightly more.

But - it's the home record under McInnes which gives me hope.

Even in this bad run we are on, comparing the 2 managers last 5 home games shows McInnes gaining 7 points versus Millen's 2. Scoring 6 goals versus Millen's 3. Conceding 9 goals versus Millen's 8.

I've said for a while now that we're not likely to pick up much away from home for the rest of this season, but we have 7 home games left against teams averaging 13th in the table. McInnes' current home record on average would see us gain another 10 points from those games. Now that may or may not be enough, I think it's borderline, but I am ever more hopeful that 4 of those home games are against bottom 10 teams - win those 4 and we should be ok.

One last stat - even if we lose our remaining 12 games, McInnes would still have a points to games ratio of 0.65, which is better than Millen had at 0.6.

So, even though we're in a poor run, look no further than the quality of the squad assembled over the last 2 years or so (£2m worth of it under Millen), look at the comments from the quoted post above for our deficiencies. Yes, McInnes was brought here to keep us up, and so far, if the season ended today, he'd have done that. If we are relegated, yes he would have to accept a share of the blame, but nowhere near to the extent that he should lose his job after having been handed this poison-chalice.

So please, once and for all, can we lay off all of the bull about sacking the manager. It ain't going to happen and it doesn't deserve to happen. And most of all, can we lay off the bull about us being better of under Millen. We weren't.

I agree with what your saying but on your list of problems we need to look at who'd job it Is to fix them and they are of course the managers and that's be honest he has done nothing about any of them. Therefore it's his him who has to take responsibility and lose his jonson.

I agree with what your saying but on your list of problems we need to look at who'd job it Is to fix them and they are of course the managers and that's be honest he has done nothing about any of them. Therefore it's his him who has to take responsibility and lose his jonson.

That's that then, bye Derek. Neeeext...

Idiot

Boats me old son, those problems were 3 years in the making, it's going to take longer than 22 games to sort them out.

Great Post...Even if we do go down i would keep Del and the doc in charge ...i know they will come good once they bring in their own players i beleive we will be ok, However it will be tough, Discerning comments like sack the Manager is no good to anyone. lets pull together ansd support OUR Team,

Harry - superb OP. One of the best I have ever seen on here.

And + 1 to this comment.

See you all at the Gate tomorrow. It's feeling like "Make or Break" time for survival in the NPC now.

Huge game. Big It Up all you City fans. The players need us now.

You're also correct that I have pretty much written off our away games for the remainder of the season. Check my posts dating back to the Brighton away game, I said at that point we'd be lucky to get any more than a point away for the rest of the season and that we must rely on the home form to secure our Championship status.

I also firmly believe that at least 3, and definitely 4 home wins will see us ok, so yes I believe our average home record will see us straight.

Mate, I admire your optimism but I cannot see us winning one more home game, let alone three or four. We're going down.

We already have a keeper who isn't self obsessed.

The need for a stadium isn't a myth.

Other than that, on the money.

The self obsessed keeper is STILL miles better than the option of Donkey Gerkin. A priority for this club is two keepers of a decent standard as Jamo is now too old and Gerkin is just shite, not good enough for this team

James is not as good as Henderson & remains a liability in he costs us more points than he saves. His presence also forces keepers such as Henderson to look elsewhere. If we want a shot stopper with poor distribution & shocking box management that bloke between the sticks at Hull looks the ticket.

Archived