IGNORED

Opposition Corners

PhilC

I can't help but think tonight one thing that really got on my nerves was the guy next to me, who, ever time we conceeded a corner, pointed out that we had every man and his dog back to defend. He was right. Why when we conceed a corner at home do we not keep at least one man up near the half way line?

At 0-0, (I think) We conceded a corner, and I could not see anyone more than about 20-22 yards from the goal.OK, you might argue that it was early on in the game, with plenty of time to go, but we don't exactly bang them in week in week out at home? The first goal counts in any game of football (Well actually they all do but you know what I mean), so surely that extra man loitering dangerously during their early set piece, when they only had two men on the half way line.

At 2-2 we conceed a corner. By this time Albert was on the pitch. Again, only 2 players on the half way line, infact one just slightly ahead of it. So why couldn't we keep the player with "fresh legs" Albert, (Or for the Albert haters someone else...) at the half way line. City obviously didnt want to let their heads drop and allow Leicester to come back from 2-1 to win 3-2, but that ball got cleared from the area and ended up where? That player who was on / around the half way line... If we had someone up there we could have created a decent attack from it, and possibly scored that winning goal earlier. (All if's and but's I realise)

At 3-2. Completly different scenario. Everyone got back, and quickly, to defend the corner. Obviously completly justififed, but wanted to point out thats fine, just in case anyone actually thought I meant we should keep a man up for "every" corner.

So surely this has to come down to the manager, and with some respect the captain?

Do you think that during these troubeled times Del is doing the right thing by just playing it safe, and making sure we don't conceed sloppy goals from set pieces because we can't afford to?

Or would you prefer us to be playing positive football and keep that extra man upfront for corners, which perhaps, can lead to a counter attack and a goal scoring opportunity?

Or should we be making a week in week out decision based on the opposition?

Today Pitman wasn't in the box defending corners. That's a change from previous games where it's been all hands to the pump with all of our players in the box defending. Maybe Derek has changed his approach on this a little? He said on the phone- in a while back that he always defends like this as it's an opportunity for the opposition to score and did the same at St Johnstone. Maybe Stoney Garnett's rants have taken effect?!

Didn't realise that Riaz, perfectly happy to deal with it though if it's Del's way. I suppose it's just safe fotball. There were 6 Leicester corners tonight, and it's a 90 minute game, so there are still many minutes to be pIayed and many goal opportunites to be had. I do rememer seeing Pitman up there on one or two, but found it strange in some circumstances such as when Albert had not long come on, as I mentioned, and we were at 2-2. I just find it difficult to weigh up and wondered what everone elses views were!

Don't suppose this is in the Williams?

It wasnt...why did you keeep pointing it out as well?!

Anyway I'm going to mull over this with some sleep. I can still be pleased with the result tonight but can't help but think it isn't massivly positive football. I'm probably just being picky! I'll keep my eyes on our corners for the rest of the season though.

Maybe Del knew all along we'd get all 3 tonight and we wouldn't conceed a sloppy goal ^_^

Someone asked this at the FCF directly to Del and he said he always does it and always will because you are statistically less likely to concede. No amount of people like Stoney shouting from the Dolman at the players is going to change that!

I did notice that once or twice Pitman stayed up top in first half having said all of the above!

Didn't realise that Riaz, perfectly happy to deal with it though if it's Del's way. I suppose it's just safe fotball. There were 6 Leicester corners tonight, and it's a 90 minute game, so there are still many minutes to be pIayed and many goal opportunites to be had. I do rememer seeing Pitman up there on one or two, but found it strange in some circumstances such as when Albert had not long come on, as I mentioned, and we were at 2-2. I just find it difficult to weigh up and wondered what everone elses views were!

I don't think you need all players back - i'd like to see the quickest player left up field - to be a outlet.

But people shouting there heads off during the game ain't gonna do nothin - just got to get used to it...

Archived