IGNORED

Pompey Given Lifeline

Lrrr

Portsmouth have been granted a lifeline by the Football League which should allow the stricken Championship outfit to complete the season. There were fears that the Fratton Park club would be unable to fulfil their fixtures this term due to their financial woes after being plunged into administration for the second time in two years last month. That could have thrown the competition into disarray, with Pompey's results being expunged from the records and raising questions over the integrity of the league due to the impact on the promotion and relegation battles. Administrator Trevor Birch revealed on Wednesday evening that the Football League had agreed to release a total of £800,000 to the South Coast side, in four payments of £200,000, which should stave off the immediate threat of closure.Birch said: "I am pleased to confirm that there have been some positive developments at Portsmouth Football Club over the last few days. I have held constructive talks with The Football League, who have been incredibly supportive."The league will now resume payment of the club's Basic Award monies which are normally paid on a monthly basis to all Football League clubs

"For clubs in the Championship, they amount to around £200,000 a month. The league has confirmed that we will receive the four outstanding payments for the current season as and when they fall due, subject to any outstanding balances owed to other clubs. "This money will go a long way towards plugging the club's financial gap and allowing us to complete the season. "This is clearly a very positive step but I wish to emphasise that we are not out of the woods yet. "The additional money buys us more time but it does not solve the club's problems and it does not guarantee the club's survival. "But thanks to this and other initiatives currently being considered by the joint administrators, which may include further player loans, we should be able to get to the end of the season." A Football League spokesman said: "As in all insolvency situations, The Football League is focused on the ultimate survival of the club for its supporters and the wider community. "We will now continue working with the administrator to achieve a successful re-structuring of the club."

I think it's easier for the FL if they survive till the season end. Hence this move. It at least gives us all a fair understanding of how many points we have etc

Wonder what would happen at the end of the season if they go bust, extra teams promoted or something? Would make it interesting with the play offs with lower divisions if they go bust after the play offs

Just one less team would be relegated, the highest place team would survive, unless pompey finish in the bottom 3 then just 2 teams would go down. If pompey finish 21st and cov, donny and forest were in the bottom 3 the team in 22nd would stay up but still have 3 promoted teams. and this would happen all the way down the league 1 less team would be relegated with the same number of teams promoted, even if the play-offs had been completed.

Reading between the lines to try and make sense of this statement, it seems that Portsmouth have confirmed that they will be receiving the 200,000 quid per month that every other Championship side receives. Does that mean that previously they weren't receiving it and it's been reinstated ? Wouldn't they then apply for the backdated stopages ? Alternatively, if the money was never stopped in the first place, then surely all the future, payments would have been factored into the administrator's accounts already.

It deffinitely stinks of creative accounting , knock another 10 points off for sneakiness !

If they really are in the sh*t, does anyone really believe £800,000 is going to make much difference?

How many players would that pay and for how many weeks? Anyone know what he monthly wage bill is?

They won't be paying off debts with it.

This is just operational money and delaying the inevitable.

Doesn't surprise me really. The nightmare situation for the FL was that they went bust a few games before the end of the season throwing the table into chaos. The worry would not so much be the bottom of the league but the top. If you think that Sheff Utd got 20m from West Ham for being relegated due to the Tevez saga you can imagine the potential for lawsuits and disruption to the playoffs. Of course if Pompey were now to rally and survive that would cause additional problems for the FL...

How are they allowed to bring players in on loan? If you look at the side they put out against Reading, they had the maximum number of Sub's, Kitson was on the bench, the side still looks strong enough to give anyone a game. Amazing how the loans are being allowed.

How are they allowed to bring players in on loan? If you look at the side they put out against Reading, they had the maximum number of Sub's, Kitson was on the bench, the side still looks strong enough to give anyone a game. Amazing how the loans are being allowed.

They have loaned out all their big earners first and are aloud to bring in replacements if there current squad falls below 15 fit players (which it has) in the spirit of compatition the FL allow it,

They are not paying wages to the loan players of a fee they are being paid by their parent club,

I wonder if it was a team with a lower profile, in a league or two below, would this be happening, or is it because it's a championship club with a good pedigree and recent success?

Whatever the reason, it's disgusting!

Aren't Port Vale in greater danger of folding?

When Chester City folded wasn't it over something like £15,000? So for Pompey to be given £800,000, I know Chester wern't a football league team but still only £15k or so.

the further down you are the less money you get,

Prem 48 Million per club

Champ 2 million per club

League 1 £250k per club

League 2 125k per club

or somthing like that

I know that and its expected but for a club to get wound up over what Pompey probably pay a good few players a week is just wrong really. They were wound up on 10th March so at the same point of the season near enough that Pompey are being given money to help them complete the season, help Chester didn't get from the league.

I know that and its expected but for a club to get wound up over what Pompey probably pay a good few players a week is just wrong really. They were wound up on 10th March so at the same point of the season near enough that Pompey are being given money to help them complete the season, help Chester didn't get from the league.

Chesters problem was the man in charge I believe, also remember the conference if a different body to the football league, like the prem is and it has their own rules for administration which are much harsher then the football leagues,

Boston got demoted 2 leagues for having financal irregulaities more then one club have been have gone to the wall, teams don't get promoted because of their grounds etc etc,

I Wish the football league had the same rules as the conference half the clubs wouldn't be in the mess they are now if they did

Archived