IGNORED

Fontaine

mcbcfc

Now I'm sure I'm going to get some stick for this but fonts is a problem at the back. He came into the side after the 1-0 defeat at reading, 8 games ago since the we've conceded 22 goals. Surely that's not a coincidence?

What would you say are fonts strengths? He certainly not a first ball winner, he's too slow to be the covering center half, his passing is appalling. Having just seen cardiffs second goal on tv what was he doing? Close the man down don't jump and turn your back on the ball. It concerns me that he is seen to be influential enough to be captain, IMHO he's not strong enough to be in the first 11. Worse of all he ends up being given another 2 1/2 year deal another indication that this club settles for mediocrity.

Name someone better.. Nyatanga? so why isn't it david james fault we've conceded the 22 goals? or fosters? or bob who's been sitting in the dolman for 60 years? Just fontaines?? C'mon..

I agree that there's no one better, this is my point of accepting being mediocre. I never said its just fontaines fault but in those 8 games him and David James are the only two consistances.

You say fonts is one of our better defenders, what are his strengths?

Heading, the reading of the game and his tackling is fairly good. He also is a no nonsense defender similar to Wilson who I think will be our best player. At this rate I would like to see us sign McManus at the end of the season if possible, then pair him with Wilson at centre back next year.

Would also like to see Ribeiro given a go at RB again sometime.

Now I'm sure I'm going to get some stick for this but fonts is a problem at the back. He came into the side after the 1-0 defeat at reading, 8 games ago since the we've conceded 22 goals. Surely that's not a coincidence?

What would you say are fonts strengths? He certainly not a first ball winner, he's too slow to be the covering center half, his passing is appalling. Having just seen cardiffs second goal on tv what was he doing? Close the man down don't jump and turn your back on the ball. It concerns me that he is seen to be influential enough to be captain, IMHO he's not strong enough to be in the first 11. Worse of all he ends up being given another 2 1/2 year deal another indication that this club settles for mediocrity.

You will not get stick from me. Fontaine is 'mediocre' at best, always has been. Not good enough if we wish to be in the top 6 in the next 2 seasons.

I define mediocre by describing him as capable and committed if we wish to be where we are.

Truth is it has been years since we have had a strong back line and until that changes we are stuck in this division or worse. Route and branch required in the close season and that might well include another goalie to challenge james even if he has been inspiring at times.

Heading, the reading of the game and his tackling is fairly good. He also is a no nonsense defender similar to Wilson who I think will be our best player. At this rate I would like to see us sign McManus at the end of the season if possible, then pair him with Wilson at centre back

His heading is certainly not one of his strengths far too often the ball goes up rather than out. No nonsense defender? When was the last time he went in for a crunching 50/50?

On his day, a Premier League defender.

On average, a solid, mid table championship side defender.

Saturday? Got mugged up by Miller too many times...

Sorry mate but that's a very blinkered view. What team would he get into in the prem? Never in a million years is he a Premier League player, he is just a steady championship defender. Many better than him at this level.

Name someone better.. Nyatanga? so why isn't it david james fault we've conceded the 22 goals? or fosters? or bob who's been sitting in the dolman for 60 years? Just fontaines?? C'mon..

For most of my near 60 years we've struggled to acheive our potential, so the obvious conclusion is that it's Dolman Bob's fault - unless it's me of course! :shocking:

Totally agree with OP, he could be a good player but he lacks two things first and most importantly concentration, he switches off perodically throughout games and it costs him and us. Secondly a lack of pace is a mojor issue, if he doesn't get the initial ball through (attack it early, which he does at his best) he is lost and becuase of the first point he cannot recover when he switches off.

He was definately at fault for the secound goal, he got caught in no mans land had he pressed the ball the goal would not have happended. I thought so at the game and having watched it again I absolutley sure. Yes Foster also at fault but Fontaine let the whole move pass him by and like Woolford for the first goal should have done much, much more to prevent the ball into the box. You do not conceed as many goals as we do, without there being a problem and beleiving that because they are "ours" makes them good is not really facing reality.

I'm gutted this morning because theat was a performance full of effort, we create the most chances, despite conceeding to much ground, which has cost us. As many have said Stead, Pearson, McMannus, Cisse, Carey (1t half) were heroic in their efforts, which deserved more from the game. But we have to face reallity if our players allow attacks to develope and conceed as much ground as we do they we will continue to conceeded, soft and avoidable goals.

Liam Fontaine must adapt his game and ensure that he is not a passanger like he was for the winning goal. Yes a harsh comment but in my oppinion something that needs to be addressed, we cannot afford passangers like Woolford, the stakes are now to high and its now clear that we have at least half a dozen players that really want to survive and along with the vastley improved atmosphere it would be a travesty if the reason we go down is not because we are played off the pitch every week but becuase of basic fundementals in performance without the ball i.e back off and not closing down quickly.

A lack of ability whilst apparent will not be the key issue in our survival bid but a lack of discpline and concentration off the ball could well be.

I would prefer to see Carey and McManus in the middle as I don't think Fontaine is good enough at this level. But those two are not the quickest. But if Carey moves into the middle it then casues a problem at RB. Spence and Foster are not up to the job and Skuse who has done quite well at RB is still on the mend from his broken toe.

Fonts is often slow to react and tends to wait for the ball to reach his opponent before making the challenge. Carey and McManus though will often read the pass and get the challenge in before the attacker has a chance to control the ball.

If we manage to stay up I do think we pretty much need a new back four.

I would prefer to see Carey and McManus in the middle as I don't think Fontaine is good enough at this level. But those two are not the quickest. But if Carey moves into the middle it then casues a problem at RB. Spence and Foster are not up to the job and Skuse who has done quite well at RB is still on the mend from his broken toe.

Fonts is often slow to react and tends to wait for the ball to reach his opponent before making the challenge. Carey and McManus though will often read the pass and get the challenge in before the attacker has a chance to control the ball.

If we manage to stay up I do think we pretty much need a new back four.

I agree, if you don't have pace, you must attack the ball early. It was the mantra that Shaun Taylor played his whole career, slow on the deck but quick to react and attack the ball.

Look, David James is the problem. I have said it in the past - he is the weak link in the team. His distribution is abysmal. He can save shots, yes. But pretty much everything else he does is below par in terms of championship goalies!!!

The next issue is gerken. He is probably worse. We need shot of the goalies and bring in a better number 1 and competition. When Coventry go down I would suggest andy murphy. Was always a good with scunny. I'm sure we could look at other options and this would be Del's priority in the summer.

So Fontaine? He is a quality defender!

As someone said earlier, James & Fontaine have been the only consistent players in the last 8 games. So playing with a different cb partner & full backs isn't going to help you play a consistent game is it ? Secondly how can you expect a left footed cb to be on top form when playing on the right side, I saw a few times yesterday when Liam struggled to clear a ball, or get a tackle in because he was in an un-natural position.

Not a fan of Fonts myself.

As someone said earlier, James & Fontaine have been the only consistent players in the last 8 games. So playing with a different cb partner & full backs isn't going to help you play a consistent game is it ? Secondly how can you expect a left footed cb to be on top form when playing on the right side, I saw a few times yesterday when Liam struggled to clear a ball, or get a tackle in because he was in an un-natural position.

Disagree, the basics of defending are that basics, closing down, moving the opponant away from goal and clearing your lines and perhaps most importantly getting to the ball first. I appreciate having a favorable position etc etc, but if he finds himeself "out of position" he can't excuse himself becuase of that surely. My main point ifor the 2nd goal was had he moved toward s the ball even just to narrow the angle he may have got a block / defelction that prevented the ball from moving accross the box, or at least allowed Cisse / James the opportunity to deal with it, as it would have been further from goal. Unfortuantley by standing in "no mans land" he just wasn't involved and it passed him by with dire consequences, something that in my view is just happening far to often of late. We cannot continue to ship 2 to 3 goals a game and survive. There is vast improvement in work rate and effort but lapses in concentration / switching off are killing the team.

Sorry mate but that's a very blinkered view. What team would he get into in the prem? Never in a million years is he a Premier League player, he is just a steady championship defender. Many better than him at this level.

On his day = on his best performances. West Ham away he was immense.

Asi said in my post, he is an average championship defender.

On his day = on his best performances. West Ham away he was immense.

Asi said in my post, he is an average championship defender.

On his day he is still not Premier League class though. No way near. But yeah your right with the average championship defender shout.

Our best defender IMO. Going by some of the above posts I must be watching a different Fontaine?

Indeed, you are.

He's an average Championship player. His heading is atrocious with many headers going straight up or, disgracefully, he mistimes and misses the ball altogether.

He can't play with his right foot. Unbelievably he is a professional footballer and he can't actually pass the ball with his right foot. (But he is at least in good company with McAllister)

His tackling is good and his positioning OK unless he's facing a speed merchant although this is true for all centre backs.

What I cannot understand is how he is made captain. I don't want a nice bloke as captain. Just goes to show how many players we have with a winning mentality when Fontaine is captain.

Having said all that. he is an average Championship player so he's playing above the team's position.

Archived