IGNORED

Handball Rule

After having a night to sleep on it, still angry never got penalty for handball first half. I'm not 100% sure but think the rule states deliberate for a penalty. Why would a defender run with his arms out stretch as if he's going to play volleyball. Balls hit his hand and stopped our playing getting a shot.

Middlesborough last sky game arca punched it clear no penalty.

Last week spurs man utd ball hit adebayor on the line on the arm not deliberate but goal disallowed, Liverpool man city carling cup semi ball hit Micah Richards foot from a shot 3 yards away and spun on his arm, but that's a penalty.

What is the rule for seems no obvious consistency regards this.

Also if yesterday's wasn't a penalty why? for it was a cross into the box so he saw it coming. If no penalty why's arms out straight, shouldn't it be a free kick in box for obstruction for he is intent then on pushing our player out the way our blocking people off.

I think there are 2 aspects to it as far as I know; I think there's something about 'intentional' and something else about a players arms being 'in a natural position'. I don't think Turner meant to handle the ball, but how you can say his arm was in a 'natural position' I don't know. That said, if Pearson had played on I think he had space to go down the left of Turner and get a shot away

Deliberate is rubbish, if it hits the hand it's handball?

You dont deliberately bring a player down in the box but if you do it's a penalty, should be the same for handball imo.

Unfortunately for you, its not your opinion that counts.

A foul does NOT have to be intentional a handball does...... Thats the rules.

Not a pen imo but , more to the point, what was Pearson doing? He could have controlled that and got a shot in from a good position but he runs after the ref claiming the pen... :dunno:

BTW i thought Pearson was excellent. Imagine him Cisse, Davis and Marvin somehow across the midfield... Dogs of War! :surrender:

Well considering its a non contact sport, their player is getting ready to hold Pearson back.

Surely then his hand shouldn't be there, regardless if it's deliberate or not I think it's a penalty... Well makes sense in my head haha...

Deliberate is rubbish, if it hits the hand it's handball?

You dont deliberately bring a player down in the box but if you do it's a penalty, should be the same for handball imo.

Rubbish. You will get every player hitting it against the hand even if they are by his side trying to get pens if that's the case.

Whenever this comes up I always think if Matt Hill. I lost count of the number of free kicks and pens he gave away because of his habit of standing if front of an opposing player with his arms oustretched and each hand about 2 foot away from his side. Even if the ball was kicked at him from 1 yard away, he'd still concede a free kick because the 'delberate' rule is interpreted to include deliberatley extending your arm/hand to increase the size of the obstacle that you present. On that basis I'd say yesterday's was a definite pen. But the way our luck's riding this season it was no surprise we didn't get it!

The rule says deliberate handball. I'm not sure I have seen many deliberate handballs in the box ever.

Exactly. I'd be fine with them changing the rule to say any handball but you'd get players blasting the ball at defenders on the off chance it'll hit a hand. As it stands the only offence is "deliberate handball" and on those grounds far too many are given (and this sort of incident is the best example of how players and fans can influence a ref).

I don't think deliberate handball should be unless the player moves his hand towards the ball after it's kicked and it's from far enough away that they have time to consciously do so.

The ball was dropping between the 2 players, the defender wasn't looking at the ball, he was watching Pearson and his hands were out to presumably keep Pearson in his range???, then the ball dropped and brushed his hand.

Definately not intentional...and not a penalty.

Pearson should have obeyed the basic rule that is taught to kids as soon as thet start playing........PLAY TO THE WHISTLE!!!!!

The ball was dropping between the 2 players, the defender wasn't looking at the ball, he was watching Pearson and his hands were out to presumably keep Pearson in his range???, then the ball dropped and brushed his hand.

Definately not intentional...and not a penalty.

Pearson should have obeyed the basic rule that is taught to kids as soon as thet start playing........PLAY TO THE WHISTLE!!!!!

This

Been out at a party today, driven back to Manchester from Bristol and reading comments, it seems it's hard to decide what is or isn't deliberate. Still don't get why defender had his hands out in front of him, if holding off then he's gained an advantage by obstructing Pearson and also by hitting his hand altered movement of ball. Does this mean defenders will run round box with arms outstretched saying didn't mean it. Just think law needs being clearer to much of a hazy area. How do you decide it's deliberate, if Pearson did that bet my life ref would of blown for free kick, so why not other way.

There's two things, was it deliberate? And expectation. I listened to Dermot Gallagher talking about a ball hammered at a player on the line who has his hands down by the side. That's not deliberate, but the "expectation" was that it was going to be a goal, and that the player denied a goalscoring opportunity.

I don't think it was a penalty, i was more annoyed by our player stopping and waving his arms about, than going after and getting the ball.

There's two things, was it deliberate? And expectation. I listened to Dermot Gallagher talking about a ball hammered at a player on the line who has his hands down by the side. That's not deliberate, but the "expectation" was that it was going to be a goal, and that the player denied a goalscoring opportunity.

I don't think it was a penalty, i was more annoyed by our player stopping and waving his arms about, than going after and getting the ball.

aye play to the f*ing whistle is a shout I use quite often

There's nothing about expectation in the rules though.

Unfortunately for you, its not your opinion that counts.

A foul does NOT have to be intentional a handball does...... Thats the rules.

Who ever intentionally handles the ball unless its going to be a goal?

No one does. The rule is there for when a ball is blasted and the player cannot get out of the way....

Archived