IGNORED

Handball Rule

There's nothing about expectation in the rules though.

Just saying what they do from the words of an ex referee, rather than what they should do.

The referees don't follow the laws of the game, and for me it's a huge problem. For some reason they're allowed to interpret them, instead of enforcing them. That's badly worded laws as well as poor regulation of them.

People inside the game to to claim they want common sense not robots, well i want robots who do the job to a set standard. They can make mistakes i can accept that, but having different interpretations of the same thing is totally unacceptable.

We saw the recent glut of two footed challenges, where we had reds, yellows, fouls and no punishment happening for essentially the same incidents. That's far too far a spectrum of results for the same situation.

How can it be fair, that a defender can hold his hands out on front of him and let it hit them and no punishment is given. If a striker did that would be a free kick straight away, surely the defender is gaining an advantage in box by blocking everyone and stopping ball dropping to our player.

Just saying what they do from the words of an ex referee, rather than what they should do.

The referees don't follow the laws of the game, and for me it's a huge problem. For some reason they're allowed to interpret them, instead of enforcing them. That's badly worded laws as well as poor regulation of them.

People inside the game to to claim they want common sense not robots, well i want robots who do the job to a set standard. They can make mistakes i can accept that, but having different interpretations of the same thing is totally unacceptable.

We saw the recent glut of two footed challenges, where we had reds, yellows, fouls and no punishment happening for essentially the same incidents. That's far too far a spectrum of results for the same situation.

Well, I think the laws do have to be interpreted rather than enforced. Otherwise they'd be even more complicated than they are, every single little detail would need to be written down and we've already demonstrated in this thread that people who have played and watched the game for decades don't understand them as they are now.

You won't get consistency by increasing the verbosity of the laws, we've already seen that over the past few years.

Also, In this instance it's not that hard. It has to be deliberate and in determining that the ref can consider whether the hand/arm moved to the ball (rather than ball to hand) as well as the distance from the ball to the hand/arm. It is also pointed out that the position of the hand does not necessarily mean there's an infringement.

So, unless you stick your arms out before the ball is played looking like you're deliberately trying to block, or you move your hand towards the ball after it is played from far enough away that it could be deliberate, it's not a foul.

Expectation doesn't come into it at all, and although referees have to exercise judgement they don't get to make up new criteria. The law here isn't badly worded IMO and if an ex ref says he took expectation into account when determining if it's a foul then he's quite simply wrong.

What would help more with consistency here is if people were actually taught the laws properly rather than just through bad oral history. I mean players at all levels as well as pundits, coaches and managers.

I have never seen a footballer, in or out of the box, extending his hands towards an opposing player, in the way that the Cardiff player did. He looked more like a volleyball player as someone said above, or even more like a basketball player, where the absolute intention is to intercept the ball with your hands.

So if the rule is that the arms have to be in a "natural position" what the bloke did was totally unnatural for football and warrants a penalty.

Well, I think the laws do have to be interpreted rather than enforced. Otherwise they'd be even more complicated than they are, every single little detail would need to be written down and we've already demonstrated in this thread that people who have played and watched the game for decades don't understand them as they are now.

You won't get consistency by increasing the verbosity of the laws, we've already seen that over the past few years.

Also, In this instance it's not that hard. It has to be deliberate and in determining that the ref can consider whether the hand/arm moved to the ball (rather than ball to hand) as well as the distance from the ball to the hand/arm. It is also pointed out that the position of the hand does not necessarily mean there's an infringement.

So, unless you stick your arms out before the ball is played looking like you're deliberately trying to block, or you move your hand towards the ball after it is played from far enough away that it could be deliberate, it's not a foul.

Expectation doesn't come into it at all, and although referees have to exercise judgement they don't get to make up new criteria. The law here isn't badly worded IMO and if an ex ref says he took expectation into account when determining if it's a foul then he's quite simply wrong.

What would help more with consistency here is if people were actually taught the laws properly rather than just through bad oral history. I mean players at all levels as well as pundits, coaches and managers.

Expectation doesn't come into it, but it's clear for me it's part of a referees decision making even if it's not meant to be.

Referees have way too much freedom, and shouldn't IMO. A foul outside the box is no different to a foul in the box, taking 20 seconds on a throw in in minute 5 at 0-0 is the same as in the 93rd minute when 1-0 up away from home. It's refereed differently. And that's wrong for me.

You can't hope to achieve consistency when the referees have this freedom IMO.

Totally agree with the need for greater education of the laws. I unashamedly have to look stuff up, and it's clear many pundits/players/managers don't know the actual laws of the game.

I must say, I watched you play Cardiff on Saturday, and I must say, I thought it was handball, and i still do... The defender had no reason to have his hands up there!!

If it's any consolation, I think you gave a great account of yourselves and it looked like you were a mid-table team, not a squad in danger of relegation!!

After Bristol City were discussed so heavily up here during the transfer window, I always keep a look out for you! and I truely hope that you stay up! Del is a top manager, beleive in him.

I must say, I watched you play Cardiff on Saturday, and I must say, I thought it was handball, and i still do... The defender had no reason to have his hands up there!!

If it's any consolation, I think you gave a great account of yourselves and it looked like you were a mid-table team, not a squad in danger of relegation!!

After Bristol City were discussed so heavily up here during the transfer window, I always keep a look out for you! and I truely hope that you stay up! Del is a top manager, beleive in him.

Cheers. Good luck too - it must be tough to support a club brought to its knees by the actions of a few.

If it had occurred outside the box I would bet my house on the ref giving handball - another interpretation/inconsistency that annoys me.

In the same way that Fontaines challenge on Miller would have been a foul outside the box as it was from behind, but for some reason the rules are different inside the box than outside thankfully for that incident.

having said that Pearson should have played to the whistle.

Archived