IGNORED

Celtic Joining The English League?

Super

I wouldn't worry about Celtic becoming PL giants any time too soon if they joined. The tools are there, but the club has been run with a mind towards financial prudence in recent years, and that sort of sensible financial planning will get you nowhere in England, sadly.

I'm against the OF joinging the Football League, but its pretty obvious to me that with the Sky money they would get that both clubs would be top 8 within a few years easily

Quite possibly join the football league and get in that way though. Not something I would be interested in myself but the football league and the two Glasgow clubs were supposedly at advanced talks a few years back. They had agreed to a no promotion clause for at least 2 years from the championship for entry into the Premier League, and obviously would give up their European places until they had earned the right again.

Personally I would say Celtic in the top flight would probably only be behind Man Utd and Liverpool as giants of the league, they would sell out anywhere and within a few years would cement a champions league spot. They could take more fans away than we could get for a home crowd.

I don't think they'd necessarily be champions league shoe-in's; Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal are all arguably a bigger pull in terms of attracting in players and Celtic's crowds will not be that much bigger than say Arsenal's. However, I don't necessarily think they'll care about champions league in the short term; they'll make more cash finishing 10th in the Premier League than exiting at the group stages of the CL

I've followed Celtic as they've played English sides for years and years, and although I've witnessed poor behaviour from a number of Celtic fans, that has at times been dwarfed by the abhorrent behaviour from english supporters, including sectarian abuse which is miles worse then I've ever heard from Celtic fans. In-fact I've heard IRA mentioned in singing and chanting probably five times more aimed at Celtic supporters in England then I have from Celtic fans.

There are ignorant people who seem to believe it would lead to an invasion of IRA following troublemakers bullying innocent english supporters, but I think actually there are a large number of imbeciles supporting english sides who would love nothing more then to stir up trouble with someone new.

pro IRA green brigade are at every match and organised a huge anti remembrance day protest. no teams fan in the uk have ever stooped that low to protesting against men who fought in world war two.

Quite possibly join the football league and get in that way though. Not something I would be interested in myself but the football league and the two Glasgow clubs were supposedly at advanced talks a few years back. They had agreed to a no promotion clause for at least 2 years from the championship for entry into the Premier League, and obviously would give up their European places until they had earned the right again.

Personally I would say Celtic in the top flight would probably only be behind Man Utd and Liverpool as giants of the league, they would sell out anywhere and within a few years would cement a champions league spot. They could take more fans away than we could get for a home crowd.

No English clubs - either Premier league or Championship - are going to give way to accommodate Celtic & Rangers. The league will not be expanded either.

The talks were exploratory and were never that advanced. Attitudes against the move have hardened since then especially in this economic climate.

The Scottish league would be screwed if Celtic and Rangers were to depart for England, the Atlantic league or whatever else they were proposing. FIFA know that and have already intimated they would block any such breakaway

It's all academic because its not going to happen :tongue:

pro IRA green brigade are at every match and organised a huge anti remembrance day protest. no teams fan in the uk have ever stooped that low to protesting against men who fought in world war two.

I don't agree with the Green Brigade's political side and motives at all, and the banner was rightly condemned by the club and the vast majority of Celtic fans.

I don't want to get too political, but the fact is Celtic were founded by Irish Catholics, an element which will always be large in the support, and some of those will have sympathies towards the IRA and other things. Likewise City, and every other club, will have fans that support the BNP or the NF, or be racist, or whatever. Everyone in football is pushing to keeping all these issues out of the game, and Celtic have done as much as anyone to eliminate the rogue elements of the support who wish to display these beliefs during games. It's a generational thing, and an ongoing process, though.

Like I said though, I'm just reporting what I've previously encountered at some Celtic v English team games. In any sort of conversation like this there will of course be a massive slant in the perspective towards the english side, which is natural, but it isn't always accurate.

I don't agree with the Green Brigade's political side and motives at all, and the banner was rightly condemned by the club and the vast majority of Celtic fans.

>

The pro IRA green brigade are still allowed to display their massive banners with IRA slogans on them at celtic park. they have taken over a section of the ground and been allowed to do it.

Given that the Scottish FA have been vociferous in their opposition to sweaty sock players competing for team GB in the Olympics, I would have thought that this story is laughable. If the savages are worried about their football independence by players playing for Stuart Pearce's band of strollers, then they should be sweating like rapists at the thought of the Celts defecting to a superior league.

If I was Dave Richards, I'd be having a chuckle and telling Celtic to go away and subject their request to colonic insertion.

Mind you, football politics being what it is, and given the fact Dave Richards has set relations with UEFA back by 20 years, anything is possible.....money talks and the European league can't be that far away. The Champions league is that in all but name.

Seeing as Scotland wants independence then we can't have a Scottish team in our league.

Otherwise what would stop Man U, Arsenal, Barca, AC Milan etc all creating their own league?

Stupid really.

It will happen. there will come a time when the clubs power will exceed that of their respective governing bodies and the big clubs will chase the (television) money and form their own league. The bodies who run it, (FIFA & EUFA) will have to accept it and go with it.

The pro IRA green brigade are still allowed to display their massive banners with IRA slogans on them at celtic park. they have taken over a section of the ground and been allowed to do it.

I should hope we will never have a situation in the future where the GB are overtly displaying IRA slogans on banners at Celtic Park, obviously. I believe that those that have committed previously offences in that section of the ground have been banned. However the majority of supporters are more interested in creating a decent atmosphere and shouldn't all face punishment because of a few. On a much smaller scale, and a completely different situation, but it would be akin to going into the East End one day and banning all supporters there because a few will break the rules and stand persistently.

And we all know a few of those in the GB will have Irish Republican sympathies, so you can stop prefixing 'pro IRA' everytime you mention the GB to try get a reaction or whatever your motive may be :D

I don't think the article mentions both Old Firm teams does it? There are three reasons why the Premier League would want Celtic admitted; U, S and A. There are more catholic 'Irish' in New England than in Ireland and Celtic are the most supported team. The quickest and cheapest way to crack the American market is to parachute in Celtic. I actually think that it would benefit everyone; the football league would get a few seasons of big crowds and Tv exposure and the Scottish league would arguably become more competitive and therefore a more attractive prospect for investment and tv audiences. I don't personally like the idea of teams from other associations being parachuted in for financial reasons, you can see the benefits

The population of the New England states is far more interested in Baseball and American football than 'soccer'. Soccer is big on the West coast of the USA - especially California - mainly due to the Spanish American/ Latin American population. FIFA wont crack the whole American market just by parachuting Glasgow Celtic into the English Premier League.

As someone has already said, until they get over this independence rubbish the idea should be thrown out.

I'd be in favour of it in theory for sure, however I wouldn't want to see the two Glaswegian teams being added; it should be one from Glasgow one from Edinburgh, the premier league needs to get something out of it too, adding two more cities to the fixture list would be good.

With two teams from the same city, a city which is notoriously one of the most violent in the UK. a city which defines football related violence, the stories are going to move away from the football and onto the disgusting behaviour of the Scots, I think that would be hugely damaging to the game.

If they want to come to the EPL, I think diversity is good, and I think that the argument that it is too far is not overly valid... Newcastle is far enough from London (I think about 4 and a half hours) that the extra 90 minutes on the end is hardly detrimental. However two teams coming straight down in their current form I'm not happy about, Glasgow having a premier league team and a scottish league team, Edinburgh having a premier league team and a scottish league team, yeah I'd be fine with that.

This all assumes of course that the Scottish teams can compete at the top level... that remains to be seen

I should hope we will never have a situation in the future where the GB are overtly displaying IRA slogans on banners at Celtic Park, obviously. I believe that those that have committed previously offences in that section of the ground have been banned. &b=13' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Green brigade are still there and still displaying their banners.

They need the move a lot more than we do. If they joined the bottom League they would have to join up to the fair play conditions, are they going to get 55k for games against barnet, exeter and accrington? So all the top players will either have to take huge paycut or leave. Financially it would kill the spl, they got 80m for a 5 year tv deal, without the old firm that would be cut massively, who wants to watch motherwell v st mirren? All in all the idea has huge problems. If the desire is there I would like to see all Scottish teams play in the English league cup, obviously there will be issues over European places, regionalising early rounds (can Plymouth afford a first round fixture away to Clyde?) etc but I think this would be the only way to introduce scottish teams into the English football system

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how so? Im genuinely interested to know how they did this?

Well, for a start, at around the time when Aberdeen and Dundee United were winning trophies in the early - mid 80s and looking like they could put a long term challenge of the glasgow dynasties together. The old firm successfully lobbied the SFA to cease the sharing of gate receipts for league matches, following on from what had happened in the English league.

Without having to share gate receipts they financially destroyed their competition to the point where they could not compete against two sides who were generating up to four or five times the amount of matchday revenue of their rivals.

It will happen. there will come a time when the clubs power will exceed that of their respective governing bodies and the big clubs will chase the (television) money and form their own league. The bodies who run it, (FIFA & EUFA) will have to accept it and go with it.

I can also see these teams breaking away from fifa one day and starting there own big money league running out side of what we know at present. A multi europe type league for the big 20 clubs

Speaking as someone who lives in Scotland..

Stuff em.....

They don't like the English and their football is so bad... Why should any Scottish team be allowed South, when they as a nation clearly don't want anything to do with us...

In fact I didn't believe how much Celtic were less Scottish than Berwick...

No way should any Scottish or Irish team join any English league..

Speaking as someone who lives in Scotland..

Stuff em.....

They don't like the English and their football is so bad... Why should any Scottish team be allowed South, when they as a nation clearly don't want anything to do with us...

In fact I didn't believe how much Celtic were less Scottish than Berwick...

No way should any Scottish or Irish team join any English league..

Reassuring to see you haven't "gone native", Ricardo!

No way....

Didn't realise how much as a nation the English are loathed North of the border...

Especially when it comes to sport...

Never take the proud heart out of this Englishman

The Picts are a clever and often fierce people, good on you for holding your ground and remaining true to England. :englandsmile4wf:

Why should they come in at League 2 level ? Should we just forget about all the teams in the conference , who have been trying to get into the football league for years?

money talks... 55k plus each home game. celtic will bring huge travelling support as well not to mention a fair dose of ooligans. the way it should work is for them to have a home and away play off against 3rd from bottom of the championship... gives the championship club a final straw for survival, if they win they stay up and celtic come back next year. if celtic win the team goes down, celtic take their place and the third team in league 1 receive an agreed 'admittance fee' paid to them from celtic possibly via the football league. the payment would have to be substantial and certainly over and above the fee earned for 3 years in the championship.

it would probably need blatter bags' approval though.

p.s. if rangers wanted to come in they would have to start in the conference south,.. for obvious reasons and on minus 30 pts.

Celtic in the prem? That means One less English club in the prem. we let them in and our chances of getting there are reduced.

how do you work that one out? we are still 1 team, the championship still has 24 teams, we still have 3 bites at the cherry whether its celtic, crapdiff or guernsey athletic.

Archived