IGNORED

The Truth Behind The 2-2 Draw Against Coventry In 1976 To Be Announced

Huge traffic jams and thousands outside in turnstile queues a few minutes before scheduled kick off time.

Unless, there was some skulduggery between Jimmy Hill and AD to get a draw which kept both up. But while Sunderland were losing 0-1, an equaliser at Goodison with a draw City v Coventry, would have sent Coventry down.

Maybe there were some behind the scenes agreements. Who knows and nearly forty years after who cares?

I was about 14 at the time and at Whitefield School, and this was in the days when Fishponds was pretty rock solid Gas. We had 'double science' on the afternoon of the match, and our science teacher (who used to get loads of stick for being red) was desperate to go to the game. He announced at the start of the lesson that we should stick our hands up if we were going to Coventry and we would be allowed to leave (but to make sure we exited through the field at the back rather than the main entrance) . We all looked at each other for a second and he noticed we were all a bit slow on the uptake, and re iterated 'Boys, if you all put your hands up, we can all leave now.'

Every ones hands went up, he went to Highfield Road, and we all went down Vassalls :)

I think the "all teams play last game at the same time" thing is a recent change:  certainly don't recall it from back as a kid.

Looking at our run in that year: games on the 7th, 10th, 14th, 16th and 19th.  Christ knows how we got out of that.

Was it not a very hard winter that year - lots of postponements? I believe that, even then, the FL tried to arrange for games affecting promotion or relegation to be played at the same time, not always successfully ;)

Of course there were fewer of them, without the pray-offs.

Was that the year I watched through the fog against the Leeds earlier in the season, for it to be called off at half time? All merges in to one after so many years!

I was about 14 at the time and at Whitefield School, and this was in the days when Fishponds was pretty rock solid Gas. We had 'double science' on the afternoon of the match, and our science teacher (who used to get loads of stick for being red) was desperate to go to the game. He announced at the start of the lesson that we should stick our hands up if we were going to Coventry and we would be allowed to leave (but to make sure we exited through the field at the back rather than the main entrance) . We all looked at each other for a second and he noticed we were all a bit slow on the uptake, and re iterated 'Boys, if you all put your hands up, we can all leave now.'

Every ones hands went up, he went to Highfield Road, and we all went down Vassalls.

I was in Hartcliffe School at the time also aged 14, we were solid City but our Maths teacher was a Gashead and used to get terrible stick for it. We had him last lesson on that Thursday afternoon. As the lesson started he asked who among us would be going toHighfield Road that night, about six of us stuck our hands up. He gave us all a two hour detention to be served immediately as the bell ending school rang. I still recall that sickly grin he spouted as we copied copious lines, like he was clever or something. Sad git.

I was in Hartcliffe School at the time also aged 14, we were solid City but our Maths teacher was a Gashead and used to get terrible stick for it. We had him last lesson on that Thursday afternoon. As the lesson started he asked who among us would be going toHighfield Road that night, about six of us stuck our hands up. He gave us all a two hour detention to be served immediately as the bell ending school rang. I still recall that sickly grin he spouted as we copied copious lines, like he was clever or something. Sad git.

What a bastard.

Archived