IGNORED

Gerry Gows Testimonial Match

CiderSomerset

Let me think, BCFC is a football club (allegedly) and organise upwards of 25 home first team games per season and usually one or two rock concerts, it should be a piece of piss for them, of course that's if there is something in it for them.

Its all those dotting the i's and crossing the t's that takes the time Es. I think we may have a dyslexic board

For all we know Gerry could have been informed and might be cool with it. He's waited this long so what's a few more weeks. Why so down on the club? Is it your way or the highway, are you actually stamping your feet as you type this!? It's honourable that you feel the need to defend Gerry's honour and legendary status but we're all on the same side here. The official line has been published, we've got no other facts, anything else is pure bitching

For all we know Gerry could have been informed and might be cool with it. He's waited this long so what's a few more weeks. Why so down on the club? Is it your way or the highway, are you actually stamping your feet as you type this!? It's honourable that you feel the need to defend Gerry's honour and legendary status but we're all on the same side here. The official line has been published, we've got no other facts, anything else is pure bitching

Completely the opposite BCFC's approach is invariably THERE WAY OR NO WAY

Hmmmm

Gow should have had a testimonial 20 years ago.

The club, with not an inconsiderable nudge from fans, silently and secretly decide to award him a testimonial match, at a time and date that shall only be revealed to one armed, one legged, stone masons with a haddock on their head and only whilst wearing a blindfold and their tongue removed with a rusty spike so they can not reveal this, apparently, dark and mysterious secret.

If the purported date in late May was to be true, then why with less than eight weeks to go, has the publicity machine not got its grubby little paws on this?

I was very fortunate as a young lad to be able to see Mr Gow in all his pomp, and trust me, once witnessed, never forgotten. Quite simply the best all round player I have ever witnessed at Ashton Gate( city or opposition). I pity the fans who were not able to witness him boss the midfield and leave players of much bigger reputation quaking in their boots at the prospect of standing toe to toe with the wee man.

The club undoubtedly has more pressing matters on the agenda at the moment, not least staving off relegation, but when on this very board, posters are ready to label Marv and Alby as "Legends" , I personally feel that if the club ever wishes to engage its fans ever again , it won't consider a poxy testimonial game as a matter of little significance, but Instead, move Heaven and Earth to ensure that a ******* LEGEND gets the true recognition and event he both overdue and richly deserves.

You, sir, have put this better than I ever could in my highly-charged emotional state where the current excuse of a football club are seemingly riding rough-shod over our arguably greatest ever player. Absolute disgrace!

You just don't get it - stop making excuses it about putting a legend above the money - a date was booked and canceled that the point. It's about priorities - simple as that there is no getting away from it.

Please don't stick up for a club that doesn't care about our history.

I get it only too well mate. Lots of people have fallen out of love with BCFC and this is just another stick to beat it with.

Was a date ever confirmed because I've never heard anything official.? If , as you say a date has been cancelled in favour of another event , then that is wrong.

As for sticking up for the club , I'm just giving it the benefit of the doubt because Dave L has said , on a public forum for all to read , that the game will happen. At this moment in time thats all we have to go on.

So have we heard anything from the board?

No official line just, Dave L on the forum, no nothing from the ones that matter on the web site. I am afraid that means absolutely nothing, he has zero influence at ashton gate

Really Dave L has absolutely no reason to lie about this - so I'd suggest that he is at least speaking the truth as he sees it. But if you can substantiate your claim, I'll reassess my position.

Read the thread mate it's all their. Including from gerrys son. I hope it ain't true but it's all their to see

Really Dave L has absolutely no reason to lie about this - so I'd suggest that he is at least speaking the truth as he sees it. But if you can substantiate your claim, I'll reassess my position.

Or told to come on here, as the faceless are panicking that fans have cottoned on, and a big back track maybe underway.

The shite that comes out of the club, this would not surprise me in the least. I don't trust a word that comes out of the club. You look at various stories on their official site over the years, many contradictions.

Hmmmm

The club, with not an inconsiderable nudge from fans, silently and secretly decide to award him a testimonial match, at a time and date that shall only be revealed to one armed, one legged, stone masons with a haddock on their head and only whilst wearing a blindfold and their tongue removed with a rusty spike so they can not reveal this, apparently, dark and mysterious secret.

If the purported date in late May was to be true, then why with less than eight weeks to go, has the publicity machine not got its grubby little paws on this?

I was very fortunate as a young lad to be able to see Mr Gow in all his pomp, and trust me, once witnessed, never forgotten. Quite simply the best all round player I have ever witnessed at Ashton Gate( city or opposition). I pity the fans who were not able to witness him boss the midfield and leave players of much bigger reputation quaking in their boots at the prospect of standing toe to toe with the wee man.

The club undoubtedly has more pressing matters on the agenda at the moment, not least staving off relegation, but when on this very board, posters are ready to label Marv and Alby as "Legends" , I personally feel that if the club ever wishes to engage its fans ever again , it won't consider a poxy testimonial game as a matter of little significance, but Instead, move Heaven and Earth to ensure that a ******* LEGEND gets the true recognition and event he both overdue and richly deserves.

Amen.

Cracking post EB

Regardless of whether a testimonial has - or hasn't - been cancelled....

If it was ever planned why hasn't it been publicised? I'd happily buy Gerry Gow a pint and cook him a meal...and pick him up from home if he needed picking up...I'd certainly want to go to his testimonial. I'd happily give him money...the money I'm happily not giving to his successors to spend on accessories for their trophy cars.

So Dave L...please come on here more often...oh, and give the "Season Off" thread a look and report back to Lansdown's cronies on its contents...and give us the date for Gerry's testimonial so we can put it in our diaries.

It's a busy time of year with holidays and everything so don't take too long about it.

Regardless of whether a testimonial has - or hasn't - been cancelled....

If it was ever planned why hasn't it been publicised? I'd happily buy Gerry Gow a pint and cook him a meal...and pick him up from home if he needed picking up...I'd certainly want to go to his testimonial. I'd happily give him money...the money I'm happily not giving to his successors to spend on accessories for their trophy cars.

So Dave L...please come on here more often...oh, and give the "Season Off" thread a look and report back to Lansdown's cronies on its contents...and give us the date for Gerry's testimonial so we can put it in our diaries.

It's a busy time of year with holidays and everything so don't take too long about it.

I think you are asking a bit too much from the unprofessional ****up that is Bristol City football club

Hmmmm

Brilliant post Eastonboy. My vintage appears to be about the same as yours and NO player since Gerry Gow has come close to showing anywhere near his guile, fight and no little skill. To put a bloody gospel choir ahead of THE footballing legend of my lifetime is absolutely shocking IMHO. If this is the BCFC of the Sexstone era, I can't stand it!

I'm sorry BCFC but a very select number of players are more important to the supporters than the current board realise and Gerry Gow is at the top, or damn close to the top, of that list.

Hang your heads in shame!

Disgruntled supporter

Barrs Court.

This club is heading down the pan FAST, the way they treat ex players stinks and has for a long time. The present faceless board is cluless and thats being polite, if i printed what i really thought of them i would know doubt be in trouble. i have supported this club for 43 years, so remember GG very well, and have meet him a number of times recently when he started turning up at various places, he holds the support he gets from us city supportes very highly, and has great respect for us. I dont think i have ever been so peeded off with this club in all the years i have supported it, and until things change bigtime, i wont be renewing my ST again. Your loss BCFC, but when were gone were gone, your loss not mine.

What is with the over cooked hate people!? Dave L says its going to happen so it will happen. £20k is not to be passed up, this ain't a charity. GG will get his day, we'll still all be there and so will the players. How many times do players drop out of these things anyway, hardly a new thing. So much bitching for absolutely no reason. Gerry's day is still not confirmed which is exactly the same situation as before this non story broke.

Indeed -always dislike these if this is true then comments because rarely is it true in the first place.

Whoaaaa.

Before you tar and feather the entire board, let me make one thing clear. There will be a Gerry Gow testimonial at Ashton Gate. I can absolutely 100% guarantee that, and if it doesn't happen - to coin a phrase - I will bare my bottom in Burton's window. We have been talking to members of Gerry's testimonial committee today and they are fully aware of the situation.

Bearing in mind that as yet there has been no official announcement about this game, people spreading rumours about it being called off are way off the mark. Dates haven't been finally confirmed, but it will definitely happen. When all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed, then we will make an official announcement. In the meantime can we please refrain from having a go at people for something which is quite simply just not true. Myself and my colleagues are all too happy to take criticism for things win we get it wrong, but in this instance the criticism is unfair and totally without foundation.

COYR!

Hi David

This is not a good situation.

People turned out for Gerry's Dinner and without putting to finer point on it, Mrs D and Louis Carey excepted the club really didn't appear to have much to say or have any noticeable presence at the function. You may tell me that you and a plethora of club officials were there but to be perfectly frank the club were generally more noticeable for apparent indifference than support...!

Perhaps there could have been a little more effort to be included and may be a speech from someone representing the modern club (did I miss it?)! Hey ho if you or the Chairman were not invited to speak I would understand, however an offer of the Chairman or some other person at the club to say something I am sure would have been well received by Chris and the organization group. But we did have Eddie Large of course!

Let me know if I am way off the mark!?

The fact that a date had been thrown out a little while ago most will assume that at the very least a tentative date was agreed, nevertheless this is now clearly not the date of a match of some sort to support our best palyer in the 'modern era' (sorry to the over 60s among us).

My advice if the club wish to accept it would be to do everything in your power to help and be seen to help in making a match for Gerry a success, like give a date and get a club to play us in accordance with what this man deserves from us the supporters and Bristol City Football Club!

I would further suggest at a time when we as a club are under so much pressure an overt gesture would go a long way toward keeping some morale among the supporters in this dismal season!!

Thanks for your support and the job you are doing.

David

Hmmmm

You have it in one EB; proper player as were most back in the late 60`s early 70`s; GG gave everything, I cannot understand why its taking so long to sort.

IT MATTERS GET IT DONE.

Hope you'll forgive an intrusion from t'other side! :gasmask:

Have to agree that Gerry Gow was superb back in the day, and I hope that his testimonial gets the priority his status merits. Sadly the "faceless suits" at many clubs seem to have no connection with the real fans.

You're totally correct with regard to Gerry Gow - and you would probably have seen him often enough in the City v Gas Gloucestershire Cup finals - those were the days. You're also right about the "faceless suits" that have no connection with the real fans.

I am so angry the way the club are f*cking about with this. Despite Dave L assurances that it will happen - why are they still dithering over when? - just f*cking make it happen. Over the years it seems that many ex pleyers have been badly treated by the club and I agree with an earlier poster about how disgraceful that the club didnt organise any kind of farewell or aknowledgment for Alan Walsh. I was privileged enough to see Gerry giving everything for the club week in and week out - a true legend. So dave , rather than telling us to calm down - listen to the fans and get on with it

Why wasn't this annouced months ago? I'm sure there are many City fans from far and wide who'd love to come to the testimonial but might not be able to on a few weeks notice. This should have been annouced early in the season as it would be something to look forward to. I'm too young to have seen Gow play but I've heard many great stories from my old man and a few others so I'd love to go to this game and sing his name. Sort it out City!

Look sure he will get his testimonial lets concentrate on more important matters like the next 8 games.

You say "more important matters like the next few games", but the fact that the club are apparently taking the piss out of a true City legend is as important to me.

This date should have been set in stone months ago, but this is just giving the impression that they'll fit him in if nobody comes in with a booking in the meantime. To treat somebody of the stature of GG in that way says even more about the club than the current league crisis.

I won't be renewing my season ticket until it's CONFIRMED that the testimonial Gerry Gow is long overdue for is definitely on on a confirmed date.

Being fortunate enough to see whats going on with this first hand i must say the club have made a massive PR blunder. The organisers have got some MASSIVE names to come to the home of football in honour of GG but the club keep moving the goal posts. Now if your a jacki or a Shaun Goater and the organisers say yeh fly in for the 22nd of may but the club wanna change it cos they can make quick cash of some marching bullshit band and after booking your flights you find out the new date is June 1st? What you thinking then? This clubs PR System is an absolute joke. From the shit pies to Lansdown no wonder we are small fry!!!

Being fortunate enough to see whats going on with this first hand i must say the club have made a massive PR blunder. The organisers have got some MASSIVE names to come to the home of football in honour of GG but the club keep moving the goal posts. Now if your a jacki or a Shaun Goater and the organisers say yeh fly in for the 22nd of may but the club wanna change it cos they can make quick cash of some marching bullshit band and after booking your flights you find out the new date is June 1st? What you thinking then? This clubs PR System is an absolute joke. From the shit pies to Lansdown no wonder we are small fry!!!

Give us some details.

it's abot time the club stopped pissing all over fans initiatives

How about this for an alternative viewpoint?

Why should Gerry Gow even get a testimonial?

Yes, he was a great player, during a great era for the club, and yes he's a great bloke,

but remember he went for a very good fee (at the time) and so would have received a decent signing on fee,

and a tidy wedge for his time at Man City. So he is skint now? So am I.

So how about a testimonial for Geoff Merrick and the rest of the Ashton Gate 8, who stayed 'til the end and got bum deal?

How about this for an alternative viewpoint?

Why should Gerry Gow even get a testimonial?

Yes, he was a great player, during a great era for the club, and yes he's a great bloke,

but remember he went for a very good fee (at the time) and so would have received a decent signing on fee,

and a tidy wedge for his time at Man City. So he is skint now? So am I.

So how about a testimonial for Geoff Merrick and the rest of the Ashton Gate 8, who stayed 'til the end and got bum deal?

Gerry did not want to leave Bristol city but was sold due to citys up and coming money troubles and he has missed out on what really should have been given to him 20 years ago.

The Ashton gate 8 all recived 10k when leaving city and went on to play for other clubs and 3 out of the 8 have had testimonials

ie: Geoff merrick in 1980 vs DEREK DOUGAN X1.. Trevor tainton had a testimonial in 1976/77 season vs Bristol rovers...

Chris garland had a testimonial in 1993 vs Man utd....

That leaves david rogers, jimmy mann & gerry sweeney who may not have had testimonials and peter aitken and julian marshall with respect don't even come close to being testimonial candidates.

Off the top of my head players who have had testimonials are gerry sharpe, andy llewellyn, john shaw, brian tinnion, brian drysdale, rob newman, terry bush, steve phillips, dave merrington, jack connor, les bardsley, buster footman, gordon parr, john ateyo and paul cheesley..

There could well be more (add if you think of any more), 4 other players i'd say deserve a testimonial for service given etc gerry sweeney, tom ritchie, louis carey and scott murray but i don't think it's too much to ask to add Gerry gow to those names who have already been given a testimonial during their time here at city.

Archived