IGNORED

Gerry Gow And Bcfc Top Flight Football.....

Mr Mosquito

....I'm just wondering how many posters on here remember Gerry Gow playing for us and, indeed, our last spell in the top flight of English football from 1976-80. You'd have to be at least over 35 years old now to remember us playing in the top flight - assuming that your first BCFC game was in 1980 as a babie at age 3. :pacifier:

How I long for the return of Bristol City FC in the top flight once more.....

....I'm just wondering how many posters on here remember Gerry Gow playing for us and, indeed, our last spell in the top flight of English football from 1976-80. You'd have to be at least over 35 years old now to remember us playing in the top flight - assuming that your first BCFC game was in 1980 as a babie at age 3. :pacifier:

How I long for the return of Bristol City FC in the top flight once more.....

yep i do

he's here, he's there,

he's every flipping where

gerry gow'gerry gow!!

had to change a word in there folks

can you guess which one?

unlucky not to get in the scotland team/squad but they was better than england mid late 70s

yep i do

he's here, he's there,

gerry gow'gerry gow!!

can you guess right?

Wooohoooo, another 'oldie' like me. :banana:

Manager Alan Dicks wrote in the matchday programme about swearing and there were various Tannoy announcements about the swearing so the Gerry Gow chant was changed to.....

He's here, he's there,

We're not allowed to swear

Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow !!!!!!!! :worship2:

I remember it too. I remember getting picked for the school football team and getting stroppy with another kid because we both wanted to wear the number 4 shirt that GG used to wear. Couldn't get the tache going back then though !!

I remember Gerry Gow and the promotion season, I was 10 at the time.Didn't, in truth, understand what an achievement it was I just expected City to be good and they were.

Also another one for us oldies... Where were you the day we beat Arsenal in 1976?

Wish I could say i was there but I was at a Pontins camp in Norfolk in front of the TV " and there's been a sensational result at Highbury.."

Maybe we should have a Veterans Forum.......Just a thought!!

I was 8 the year we went up to the top flight and it was the first season I went to the Gate regularly. Used to stand on a little stand, my dad made for me, right by the white washed wall of the tunnel in the old enclosure. Gerry Gow was everyone's hero but I had to be differerent so plumped for Jimmy Mann although GG was brilliant (as all of them were).

First evening match- Pompey

First away match- Arsenal

First evening away match- Coventry

How lucky was I? Thanks dad.

I was 8 the year we went up to the top flight and it was the first season I went to the Gate regularly. Used to stand on a little stand, my dad made for me, right by the white washed wall of the tunnel in the old enclosure. Gerry Gow was everyone's hero but I had to be differerent so plumped for Jimmy Mann although GG was brilliant (as all of them were).

First evening match- Pompey

First away match- Arsenal

First evening away match- Coventry

How lucky was I? Thanks dad.

You certainly were a very lucky young man...

All I remember about Coventry was that it was my mum's birthday, well there's a story of course but I know I couldn't go...

yep i do

he's here, he's there,

gerry gow'gerry gow!!

can you guess which one?

unlucky not to get in the scotland team/squad but they was better than england mid late 70s

and what a Midfield that was. Archie Gemmill, Bruce Rioch, Don Masson. Wow! Cant help but feel that if Gerry Gow played for someone like Arsenal or Spurs he'd have played for Scotland though. We had some Midfield too... Gow's tackles, Manns thunderous shots.... and the vision fades as I look at our current pile of hopefuls turned hopeless

I remember Gerry Gow and the promotion season, I was 10 at the time.Didn't, in truth, understand what an achievement it was I just expected City to be good and they were.

Also another one for us oldies... Where were you the day we beat Arsenal in 1976?

Wish I could say i was there but I was at a Pontins camp in Norfolk in front of the TV " and there's been a sensational result at Highbury.."

Maybe we should have a Veterans Forum.......Just a thought!!

did the double over the goons that season phil

Yup, don't really remember many of the games, but I do remember my first night game was against Wolves, when million pound Wolves striker Steve Daly scored in a one nil defeat in the last couple of minutes. That must have been during the 1979/80 season, although I have been going since about 1976

Remember him well Gobbers and the rest of them, all home grown or young Scotsmen. Most of them came from the team that did so well in the FA Youth cup in the early 70's (semi-final?) and then the FA cup in '74 (quarter-final)

My own highlights were standing on the Clock end at Highbury to see Cheese score the winner (must have been a dream :fastasleep: )

and beating the great 1977 Liverpool team at Ashton Gate, in front of 38,000, to set up THAT match at Coventry. :banana:

Remember him well Gobbers and the rest of them, all home grown or young Scotsmen. Most of them came from the team that did so well in the FA Youth cup in the early 70's (semi-final?) and then the FA cup in '74 (quarter-final)

My own highlights were standing on the Clock end at Highbury to see Cheese score the winner (must have been a dream :fastasleep: )

and beating the great 1977 Liverpool team at Ashton Gate, in front of 38,000, to set up THAT match at Coventry. :banana:

i went old trafford and city won 3 1 still got programme

anyone else go?

GOW,GIBSON,GALLEY,GARLAND still in felt tip pen on my old tool box, great days, proper footballer(s)

My memory banks also remembers a certain Bobby Kellard, before GG i believe? cant remember if they ever played in the same team though.

Now f.f.s fans are ejected for smoking,swearing, drinking to much and players couldnt give a sh 1t about the club or area it represents, why should they, many are only there for a few weeks.

Indeed, both Gerry Gow and John Shaw were very unlucky not to get in the Scotland side of the mid to late 1970s. Scotland made the World Cup finals in Argentina in 1978 when England didn't. Scotland were sent crashing out in round one after all their hype. Had the Jock high command not overlooked BCFC's Gerry Gow and John Shaw then it could have been Scotland lifting the Jules Rimet trophey in Buenos Aires and not Argentina !!!!!!!! :icecream: .......

article-0-04E637970000044D-397_468x325.jpg

Will never forget those seasons in the top div! And will never forget Gerry bossing the midfield week after week in the no.4 shirt.

Anyone remember his 30 yard screamer in a 1-1 draw at Anfield?

Happy days!

On one of the rare occasions that Gerry Gow and Co couldn't boss the midfield was when he was up against Spurs' then Argentinian midfield World Champion - Osvaldo Ardilles - as shown below. I'm sure it was our last top flight season 1979/80 and Ardilles - in my mind's eye - was THE greatest midfield play maker that I ever remember seeing at Ashton Gate as his passing ability was truely awesome. That Spurs side also contained Glenn Hoddle - a lazy looking player but bloody hell he was capable of scoring from anywhere in our half. I think we lost 1-3 that day. Great memories and we really did get to see some of the world's greatest footballers of that era at Ashton Gate from 1976-80.....

article-0-04E637970000044D-397_468x325.jpg

Yes, I was there as well. That was at the time when Malcolm McDonald was supposed to be the dogs b0ll0cks! Shut him up didn't it?

and beating the great 1977 Liverpool team at Ashton Gate, in front of 38,000, to set up THAT match at Coventry.

...and what a night that was! Spent all night sat next to a Coventry fan, arguing throughout the game and almost coming to blows with him him several times.

Then at the final whistle, knowing that we were both safe, hugging each other and going dancing on the pitch together. Unreal!!!

Started in 64-65. Never forget the line up. Gibson Ford Briggs Parr Connor Low Savino Clark Atyeo Sharpe Peters ... something not quite right there! Seemed a consistent line-up. Was at Coventry that night. You have to have been there back in the day to appreciate why today is so different and bland. It has been a few years since I've been to the Gate now. Fed up with the hassle of having to pre book, the petty stewarding, the high wages, the corporate nature of it all ... These days it's more likely to be Melksham v Elmore as last weekend. Fiver including programme. Paying cash on the gate. No segregation. Not even a steward. No egos and every home player local ...

I remember those days very well. As another poster rightly put it, those were proper footballers we had back then.

As for Gerry Gow, as I've said before on here, many younger fans will think that Tommy Doc was a hard man but Tommy D was Gerry Gow light by comparisson with the great man. Don't get me wrong, Gow was a hard man and could dish it out with the best of them in the days when there were a fair few hard men in top flight football, and tackles were not for the feint hearted. However, he was more than just a hard man and was a far better footballer than many gave him credit for.

While Paul Cheesley was my hero in the promotion team, Gerry Gow really was it's heartbeat.

Started in 64-65. Never forget the line up. Gibson Ford Briggs Parr Connor Low Savino Clark Atyeo Sharpe Peters ... something not quite right there! Seemed a consistent line-up. Was at Coventry that night. You have to have been there back in the day to appreciate why today is so different and bland. It has been a few years since I've been to the Gate now. Fed up with the hassle of having to pre book, the petty stewarding, the high wages, the corporate nature of it all ... These days it's more likely to be Melksham v Elmore as last weekend. Fiver including programme. Paying cash on the gate. No segregation. Not even a steward. No egos and every home player local ...

Aye, tell 'em that now and they won't believe you!

I started in 65 - 66. First match v Bolton, second v Wolves. Fond memories of Gerry Gow running the midfield for City - and of his playing for Man City against Spurs, when he was far too strong for Ardiles. All Ardiles could do was to bleat to the referee!

Remember it kicking off big time before KO at the Highbury game & at HT in the bar underneath...........chaos.

BCAGFC

Arsenal really did have some hooligans then - Gooners? I remember when they beat us 0-1 at Ashton Gate in 1979 and there was trouble everywhere. Trouble before the game, during the game in the ground and in Lady Smythes Park after the game. Arsenal really did not seem to like us.

I started in 65 - 66. First match v Bolton, second v Wolves. Fond memories of Gerry Gow running the midfield for City - and of his playing for Man City against Spurs, when he was far too strong for Ardiles. All Ardiles could do was to bleat to the referee!

Nice to know that Gerry Gow got his own back on Ardilles and Spurs for beating us, just a shame that he was playing for Man City and not for us at that time.

Archived